AC loves destroying bags it seems

Old Dec 23, 16, 9:23 am
Original Poster

AC loves destroying bags it seems

1st time ever, AC managed to destroy my 2 month old Briggs & Riley hard side bag. Just got my 1st response, typical

------ Original Message -----

Sent: 21/12/2016 11:04 PM
Subject: Baggage Damage

I arrived in London and we retrieved our bags. My bag ( picture attached) had cleary been hit by luggage truck bumper and had a crushed in corner. I went to AC LHR AC baggage desk and asked what they were going to do about it. I was advise this was normal damage and happens all the time. They would do nothing.

This attuide and response is unacceptable.

Further to this damage, we returned to Canada Dec 10th and I turned arround and flew to Houston Dec 11th. I arrieved 3:30 AM on Dec 12th due to delays in Toronto

Flights AC172 YEG-YYZ connecting in Toronto AC7715 YYZ-IAH
When i arrived in Houston a found AC had managed to crack my case open this time. ( 2nd picture )

I replaced my bag in Houston with a Cheap $125 USD bag so had something to get home with. AC managed not to destroy this bag

Please advise how AC is going to make me whole on destroyed $ 500 Briggs & Riley bag that was only 2 months old

Also your online email system has forced me to do this twice now, fix your website

AC response

Baggage Claims
Air Canada Centre 1116
PO Box 8000, Station Airport
Dorval, Quebec H4Y 1C3
Fax: (514) 422-2900 1-(800) 237-3563
Without Prejudice

Dear Mr. ********

Thank you for your email and for your patience in awaiting our response.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and are pleased to address your concerns. On behalf of Air Canada, I offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced.

Please provide your Damaged Property Report number. Thank you kindly.

Sincerely,

Air Canada
Baggage Claims

My response

Did you not read my email ?

Your agent in London said my damage did not warrant a claim

Now how could I have a damage report number ?

Please respond to my issue, not give me the typical run around hoping I will go away

This is totally unacceptable

I am not in charitable mood at this point
Old Dec 23, 16, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by xLuther View Post
1st time ever, AC managed to destroy my 2 month old Briggs & Riley hard side bag. Just got my 1st response, typical

.......I am not in charitable mood at this point

Perhaps this approach

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-woes-yeg.html
Old Dec 23, 16, 9:51 am

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Well the good news is B&R has lifetime warranty. Having said that, not a fan of their hard side bags.
Old Dec 23, 16, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Next response from AC

Baggage Claims
Air Canada Centre 1116
PO Box 8000, Station Airport
Dorval, Quebec H4Y 1C3
Fax: (514) 422-2900 1-(800) 237-3563
Without Prejudice

Dear Mr. ********

Thank you for your follow-up email.

Damage to checked baggage or to its contents must be reported to the carrier in person or in writing forthwith after discovery and, at the latest, within 7 days from receipt of the baggage. As your incident was reported beyond the time limits, we are unfortunately unable to entertain your claim.

For future reference, you may want to visit our website for more details; www.aircanada.com.

For more information, please feel free to chat with one of our representatives:

CHAT NOW

You can also contact the Central Baggage Office Call Centre:

Tel.: 1 888 689-BAGS (2247), toll free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

We truly regret this incident. We trust, however, that all your future travels with us will be completely trouble-free.

Sincerely,

*******+
Air Canada
Baggage Claims

My response

I repeat did you not read my email?

I went directly to your representative in the baggage area to report and show my damage

I 'verbally ' reported it and was turned away.

It appears you have an organized way to avoid taking responsibility for damage, tell people thier damage is normal and use a '7 day ' rule so people traveling on long trips are unable to respond when they return home.

AC response then and now is unacceptable

I see my loyalty to AC is misguided, I will be making adjustments and using other carriers in the future
Old Dec 23, 16, 10:24 am

To me, the response indicates that they are either not reading the original email or they don't understand it (or are purposely being obtuse).

I suspect this will become more prevalent and with people also now using action cams more, this is not going to turn out well.

Part of it is the company culture. I also perceive part of it as "union culture"... Both need to change.... that or introduce more real competition into the market.
Old Dec 23, 16, 10:54 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
I've had better success myself; I had a carry-on bag (cheap from China, around a $20 spinner) that had to be gate-checked between YUL and ORD.

Arrived at ORD, and the pull-out handle was broken, wouldn't open. Went to the check-in desk (not baggage), and the agent said that while I could submit a claim and hand over the bag there, they would just FedEx it back to Montreal.

He recommended that I just report it when I got back to YOW (I did YOW-YUL-ORD), as they could deal with it better there.

I was skeptical, took photos of my bag at the airport, but figured it was a $20 bag.

Upon landing at YOW (2 days later), I went to the luggage counter and the agent had no problem with my story. He took down my details, and took the broken bag to "attempt to have it fixed at their Montreal contractor".

Figured that was it; it would come back the same or with the tape.

2 weeks later a package arrived at home - a brand new Briggs & Riley carry-on, a $600 MSRP compared to my cheap carry-on I bartered for at a Shanghai market.

This was back in May, and I was travelling on my UA *G FFP. I was really impressed with them, after being so doubtful from my experience.
Old Dec 23, 16, 11:23 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Makes me wish I said something about my bag going YQF - YYC - YWG last year. Carry-on roller (small) which had to of course be put on the trolly for the 1900D flight. Totally wrecked (wheels broken, handle missing, etc) when it arrived in YYC.

I just bought a new one in the airport and left the old bag at the MLL desk. They didn't mention anything about being able to claim it (but asked what happened and said sorry).
Old Dec 23, 16, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
On Tuesday I flew YVR-YYC-YQF

My bag never made it to YQF even with a 30 Minute delay to YQF so I filed a claim right away and called in and got $100USD approval which if fine for my needs as I need to buy stuff to ship out the next morning!

My bag was delivered the next day at 3:15 with one wheel ripped off! So I went online right away and filed a second claim. So I wait for my response!

Funny thing here is this bag AC paid for November 2015 when I was in Vegas as they destroyed my previous bag which was bought the year before in Lisbon by TAP!
Old Dec 23, 16, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, AS MileagePlan, AirMiles Gold
Hmm, I had AC damage my gate-checked carry on (an AC branded bag no less) back on Thursday morning. Sounds like I should send in a claim, I hadn't planned to since it was was just a $50 bag from Walmart, but now I kinda want to see what they'll say for themselves.
Old Dec 23, 16, 6:40 pm

Programs: *A 50K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Gate checked our uppa baby g-luxe stroller in YYZ in August 2016. Arrived in YYC and the gate check guys hands me the stroller and says "we damaged your stroller taking it out of the plane". Yup, the cup holder broke up, the frame was warped to the point we couldn't open it. Reported it to baggage agent. Filled out forms and went online to fill out more forms. They replied back, wanted photos and original receipt. Did that and sent a video. Next day they said they'll send us a cheque for the full price. Not surprised they covered it but surprised by how little time it took. Had a cheque in hand three weeks after the flight.
Old Dec 23, 16, 10:39 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Maybe this shouldn't be the case, but I do know that many corporate customer relations departments tend to view poorly-written complaints with less urgency than with a simple, direct, well-crafted request. Is the above email from the OP a direct cut 'n paste of the actual email sent to AC? If so, my cursory review spotted no fewer than nine spelling errors (all of which would have been identified by a spell check) plus several grammatical and punctuation miscues and a heaping of superfluous information layered on top.

Sgt. Joe Friday's advice is as relevant today as it was 60 years ago: just the facts, ma'am.
Old Dec 23, 16, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
Maybe this shouldn't be the case, but I do know that many corporate customer relations departments tend to view poorly-written complaints with less urgency than with a simple, direct, well-crafted request. Is the above email from the OP a direct cut 'n paste of the actual email sent to AC? If so, my cursory review spotted no fewer than nine spelling errors (all of which would have been identified by a spell check) plus several grammatical and punctuation miscues layered on top.

Sgt. Joe Friday's advice is as relevant today as it was 60 years ago: just the facts, ma'am.

Spell check does not work in AC email complaint form, you probably should try it before making smug comments.

The complaint form is a poorly written piece of code, it's a piece of crap. It also times out after 30 mins , so after digging up all flight information, filling out form exactly, you get very little time to review. In addition if you for example, leave a space in your postal code ( as it is written correctly in Canada ) it rejects the form.

It's clear they did not read it in any case. Time to escalate or move on.

Last edited by xLuther; Dec 23, 16 at 10:56 pm
Old Dec 23, 16, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
Maybe this shouldn't be the case, but I do know that many corporate customer relations departments tend to view poorly-written complaints with less urgency than with a simple, direct, well-crafted request. Is the above email from the OP a direct cut 'n paste of the actual email sent to AC? If so, my cursory review spotted no fewer than nine spelling errors (all of which would have been identified by a spell check) plus several grammatical and punctuation miscues and a heaping of superfluous information layered on top.

Many people in Canada speak English as their second (or third) language, I've long ago learned not to judge anyone by the quality of their English. If I can understand them there's no need to make an issue of it. Surely any customer-focused business would do the same.
Old Dec 23, 16, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by xLuther View Post
Spell check does not work in AC email complaint form, you probably should try it before making smug comments.

The complaint form is a poorly written piece of code, it's a piece of crap. It also times out after 30 mins , so after digging up all flight information, filling out form exactly, you get very little time to review. In addition if you for example, leave a space in your postal code ( as it is written correctly in Canada ) it rejects the form.

It's clear they did read it in any case. Time to escalate or move on.
Far from being smug, I was offering some friendly advice. I've had cause to make similar requests to AC in the past, and they have unfailingly replied in a timely and positive manner, whether in-person, or via their electronic feedback channels. I'm sure a neutral explanation of my grievance helped my case. Of course, you're free to take or ignore any advice offered by members of a public forum to which you've posted your personal correspondence.

If spell check isn't featured within the form in question, have you tried a) writing your request in a word processing document and pasting it into the AC form after checking for errors, or b) asking your mum to type it for you?
Old Dec 23, 16, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
Many people in Canada speak English as their second (or third) language.
All the more reason to employ a spellcheck function or even Google Translate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: