Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Must admit I truly value my AC despite of some rough patches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must admit I truly value my AC despite of some rough patches

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
So why do you fly UA, an even more mediocre airline? DL is at the top of the US food chain, and there are a myriad of overseas carriers, can't see anyone preferring to fly UA.
Mileage+ awards are far easier to get than using SkyPesos
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Couldn't ageee more about the need for legislation. There were a number of posts about such a bill but they were moved to the Canada forum.
To be fair, a thread about air passenger rights legislation doesn't have any real relationship with the largest airline in the country.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by KenHamer
To be fair, a thread about air passenger rights legislation doesn't have any real relationship with the largest airline in the country.
Just a reminder for FT people to communicate with their MPs. It's an opportunity for us (hopefully)
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Given my job I have little time to screw around for better fares. Working for a major non-profit
Is this a joke? Please
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
So why do you fly UA, an even more mediocre airline? DL is at the top of the US food chain, and there are a myriad of overseas carriers, can't see anyone preferring to fly UA.
Delta does not work for me, but I have given up on AA, planes beyond ancient, upgrades in advance impossible, and with the new program I am glad I gave up.

If you fly AC and want to wait 7 days before to upgrade, when UA does it 6 months in Advance? hehe try the DARK side you wont look back. Polaris planes and seats is a huge upgrade, even if the planes are 6+ months away
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by flybit
Delta does not work for me, but I have given up on AA, planes beyond ancient, upgrades in advance impossible, and with the new program I am glad I gave up.

If you fly AC and want to wait 7 days before to upgrade, when UA does it 6 months in Advance? hehe try the DARK side you wont look back. Polaris planes and seats is a huge upgrade, even if the planes are 6+ months away

How soon they forget.

It was only a decade ago that Air Canada plane interiors were held together with duct tape and we were all waiting hopefully/desperately for the new XM upgrades.

In a year or two UA will have new planes and interiors and duct tape will again start appearing on AC planes.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not a very picky eater. Or maybe I am. I actually find that when I fly AC J on a PLH route, my thought process is "these all look good, but the veal looks the best, so I'll order that". Whereas on LH/LX in F, it's been more like "none of this jumps out at me, and none even appears to appeal to my tastes".
Say it isn't so. I've found LX has some of the best food in the air in my limited experience flying them (3-4 times). They're the only airline that can manage to serve hot, yet still crunchy broccoli.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
AC reflects Canada IMO.

we dont do gold and OTT flash like the ME airlines. We dont do snobby like the Europeans. We dont do subservient runway models like the Asian ones. Closeness to the US means we are stuck with competing with the cut-throat race to the bottom of the US ones.

Peace, Order and Good Governance
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by karachi
^ Haven't heard a POGG reference in years - how Canadian
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by john.reynolds1
My good traveling friend and I were discussing this on a recent flight on Air Canada. If you compare Air Canada to United, Air Canada is moderately better. But if you compare Air Canada to say, Cathay Pacific, then Air Canada is like Swiss Chalet and Cathay is like Mortons.
Well surely price comes into play. I don't always want to spend $$$ at Mortons,

Flying AC to HKG in January PE. Cathay PE was 75% more in price.

Not willing to pay extra 75% for roughly the same seat size and arguably better ambiance (but no priority baggage /boarding).
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg

Not willing to pay extra 75% for roughly the same seat size and arguably better ambiance (but no priority baggage /boarding).
Precisely why AC will never be able to compete with Cathay and others. Canadians are not willing to pay the price premium. I won't call Canadians cheap, but I will call them frugal.

As the adage goes, "you get what you pay for".
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

That's nice.

On my dates, CX J fare was $3,900 and AC was $5,400 and this was well in advance..
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

I agree that this is a no-brainer. But consider that the new Marco Polo program gives Diamonds a total of 8 segment upgrades from W to J, or J to F, for free, on any long-haul segment. (Y to J does have fare class requirements, though.)
Originally Posted by karachi
AC reflects Canada IMO.

we dont do gold and OTT flash like the ME airlines. We dont do snobby like the Europeans. We dont do subservient runway models like the Asian ones. Closeness to the US means we are stuck with competing with the cut-throat race to the bottom of the US ones.

We do protectionist airlines pretty well. And we don't like other airlines that do the same thing like us, like NZ.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I truly value AC as well. They give me something I need that I have no way of providing for myself. Namely they provide me with safe transportation with reasonable comfort and convenience across oceans. That fundamentally changes my lifestyle.

All the other "trinkets" offered (food, miles, status, lounges etc.) have such infinitesimal value relative to the value of the transportation that they don't even move the needle on the value proposition scale.

If there were no oceans to cross I wouldn't need AC.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:26 pm
Original Member

We all value AC.

It's the valuation that differs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.