Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC and Virgin Australia in codeshare for Australia, NZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...606563026.html

MONTREAL, Dec. 14, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding for a strategic cooperation agreement with Virgin Australia, making it easier for Canadians to travel throughout Australia and New Zealand and providing Australians with more options to travel to Canada.

The first stage of the codeshare agreement is scheduled to be implemented in early 2017 when Air Canada customers will be able to book travel on a single ticket to an additional 10 cities throughout Australia and New Zealand on Virgin Australia-operated flights connecting with Air Canada's daily year-round service to Sydney and Brisbane. Subject to obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals, Air Canada will place its code on Virgin Australia flights to Adelaide, Canberra, Cairns, Melbourne and Perth as well as to Christchurch and Auckland, New Zealand. Customers will also be able to travel on Virgin Australia flights from Sydney to Brisbane, Sydney to the Gold Coast and Brisbane to Wellington, New Zealand.

When travelling on these services, members of Air Canada's loyalty program, Aeroplan, will be eligible to earn Aeroplan Miles. Further details on the frequent flyer agreement will be released soon.

"This agreement with Virgin Australia lays the ground work for a mutually beneficial commercial cooperation that will offer Air Canada customers more travel options and frequent flyer benefits when travelling within Australia and New Zealand," said Calin Rovinescu, President and Chief Executive Officer. "We look forward to introducing Air Canada codeshare service on Virgin Australia's flights and welcoming Virgin Australia's customers on our flights beginning in the near future."

Travellers arriving in Los Angeles on Virgin Australia's flights from Sydney and Brisbane will be able to travel on connecting Air Canada flights to Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal. When travelling on these codeshare services, eligible Virgin Australia customers will earn Velocity Points.

In a subsequent stage, the carriers plan to offer eligible customers reciprocal frequent flyer redemption benefits on each other's flights, and Virgin Australia would place its code on Air Canada's flights between Vancouver-Sydney and Vancouver-Brisbane.

Air Canada operates daily non-stop flights year-round from Vancouver to both Sydney and Brisbane, Australia. Flights to Sydney are operated with Boeing 777-200LR aircraft and flights to Brisbane with Boeing 787 aircraft. Air Canada operates a total of up to 18 flights per day from Los Angeles to Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

About Air Canada

Air Canada is Canada's largest domestic and international airline serving more than 200 airports on six continents. Canada's flag carrier is among the 20 largest airlines in the world and in 2015 served more than 41 million customers. Air Canada provides scheduled passenger service directly to 64 airports in Canada, 57 in the United States and 90 in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and South America. Air Canada is a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network serving 1,330 airports in 192 countries. Air Canada is the only international network carrier in North America to receive a Four-Star ranking according to independent U.K. research firm Skytrax. For more information, please visit: www.aircanada.com, follow @AirCanada on Twitter and join Air Canada on Facebook.

About Virgin Australia

Virgin Australia launched in 2000 and has since established itself as a contemporary, full-service airline with a reputation for exceptional customer service. The airline is committed to delivering the world's most engaging, stylish and effortless flying experience. In doing so, Virgin Australia has partnered with some of the world's best airlines, Air New Zealand, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways and Singapore Airlines, opening up a combined network of more than 450 destinations.

Virgin Australia has developed an extensive flight network across Australia and the world and also provides Charter and Cargo services. It operates a modern fleet of around 130 aircraft that includes Airbus A330, Airbus A320, Boeing 777, Boeing 737, Embraer 190, ATR-72 turboprop, and Fokker 100.

Virgin Australia's award-winning loyalty program, Velocity Frequent Flyer, offers its more than 6.4 million members with a range of genuine and unique benefits. In 2016, Velocity was awarded Program of the Year in the Middle East & Asia/Oceania category for the fourth consecutive year at the industry-coveted Freddie Awards.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Finally.

I like VA too!

But I guess this means AC isn't going to MEL anytime soon...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I wonder if these flights will earn AQM and AQD.

Does this also mean that the flights with Qantas will disappear from AC's booking engine? If so, seems like a bit of a downgrade from a good mainline carrier to a LCC.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Does this also mean that the flights with Qantas will disappear from AC's booking engine? If so, seems like a bit of a downgrade from a good mainline carrier to a LCC.
Virgin Australia VA is no longer a LCC. Started out that away a decade or more ago, but now equal (or better in some things) to QF. VA has TigerAir as the Au domestic LCC and QF have Jetstar JQ.

Trans tasman Aust <--> NZ VA and Air NZ codeshare on all routes.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Interesting news.

I have travel in Australia early-mid January, any thoughts on inter-Australia travel given this announcement?

I've booked round trip to BNE and was going to use VA or QF domestically (am MVP Gold with AS which I was hopeful would help on Qantas flights).

Otherwise, until more details come out I guess the other idea would be to book VA domestically and hope for lounge benefits, etc. Or possibly re-book my flights via AC if this gets finalized before y travel.

Or should I pretend I didn't see this?

Thanks!

But good news for subsequent flights.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

Considering VA gave me a meal + free bag on their cheapest PER-SYD fare, I can't say they're anything like any of the LCCs I've flown..
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Sebring
When travelling on these services, members of Air Canada's loyalty program, Aeroplan, will be eligible to earn Aeroplan Miles. Further details on the frequent flyer agreement will be released soon.
It will be interesting to see what the agreement will look like.

VA and NZ have a fairly comprehensive codeshare agreement on trans-Tasman routes which includes various reciprocal benefits such as lounge access.

If the AC/VA partnership came even close, that would add a lot of value for flights within/between OZ/NZ.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

VA has an excellent domestic J product, IMHO...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Thanks for the positive feedback on VA - I've generally tried to avoid them up to now. Will need to give them a try on a future trip there.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Virgin Australia's business class absolutely blows away Air Canada's product.

This is obviously a response to Qantas upcoming year-round nonstop service to Canada via YVR with their 787 Dreamliners. So far they've announced MEL-LAX and PER-LHR but SYD-YVR is a no-brainer for them, already running seasonally.

Personally, I will be flying Qantas, since I'm already Platinum with them.

The biggest loser from this is Air NZ, which has always never been very happy with AC.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Agree something like this is long overdue. I've actually had at least one AC staff member say "we are quite weak down there".

What is unclear from the announcement is whether a VA flight independent of the TPAC (i.e., Adelaide to Sydney) would qualify for points, status recognition, etc. As I understand it, VA is not currently a member of SA.

Interesting development.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Agree something like this is long overdue. I've actually had at least one AC staff member say "we are quite weak down there".

What is unclear from the announcement is whether a VA flight independent of the TPAC (i.e., Adelaide to Sydney) would qualify for points, status recognition, etc. As I understand it, VA is not currently a member of SA.

Interesting development.
I would bet on yes. DL certainly does for VA domestic flights (as well as lounge access, etc), but their relationship is a full-on joint venture.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Bartolo

Interesting development.
That is the big question. The more I can book on VA and get some sort of status/miles, etc. that would be fantastic.

My ears are perked, so to speak

with that said, I am suprised they have never done anything like this with QF in the past.

They seem to have a good relationship with them down there (including using QF staff in SYD) and even places like MEL seem to see quite a few 014 tickets. That said, V works. Although V across the ditch isn't too impressive in Y. Pay for everything (including drinks)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
That is the big question. The more I can book on VA and get some sort of status/miles, etc. that would be fantastic.

My ears are perked, so to speak

with that said, I am suprised they have never done anything like this with QF in the past.

They seem to have a good relationship with them down there (including using QF staff in SYD) and even places like MEL seem to see quite a few 014 tickets. That said, V works. Although V across the ditch isn't too impressive in Y. Pay for everything (including drinks)
Because QF is a competitor, especially once they launch service to YVR. The timing is not coincidental.

The biggest downside imo is that VA will not launch service to Canada. Their 77Ws are just simply too much capacity, and the A330s don't have enough range.

Also VA does not charge for anything on long-haul, it's all free. They only charge on short-haul and leisure island flights.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Velocity Rewards (Virgin Australia) - Gold
I selfishly hope this allows velocity rewards bookings via the VA website to 'other' Canadian cities such as Winnipeg. At the moment, only Vancouver shows... This is even though Delta flies to Winnipeg and other cities...

Right now I can earn points on BNE-YWG by booking on the delta website and flying on VA from BNE-LAX and then DL from LAX-MSP-YWG, but I can't redeem this route using velocity points. I can only redeem as far as MSP.

Hopefully now I can redeem BNE-YVR-YWG, that would be awesome! It avoids the USA altogether!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.