Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Routes coming; Update AC turned down for YUL - BEY route (10Jul17)

New Routes coming; Update AC turned down for YUL - BEY route (10Jul17)

Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:17 am

I also find it weird that it would be YYZ-BEY, everytime AC tried to launch this route it was from YUL, and BEY fits perfectly in their hub definition for YUL of targeting french speaking communities.

As for no 787 out of YUL, they do have YUL-PVG launching using a 788, and it was mainly that the 787 is "too much" of a plane for YUL right now in terms of range for european destinations, compared to their A330 fleet (albeit missing one for the next few months as per other thread)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: TK *G
YVR-BKK is definitely surprising.

Also, AC seems to be doing pretty well on DXB and DEL routes. Any chance AC will increase frequency or add a BOM route?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by songsc
YVR-BKK is definitely surprising.

Also, AC seems to be doing pretty well on DXB and DEL routes. Any chance AC will increase frequency or add a BOM route?
AC already announced a BOM route a few months back. It starts summer 2017 if my memory is correct.
I also thought that I read somewhere that they were increasing frequency to DEL and increasing capacity to DXB.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by vernonc
AC already announced a BOM route a few months back. It starts summer 2017 if my memory is correct.
I also thought that I read somewhere that they were increasing frequency to DEL and increasing capacity to DXB.
Oh yes. I forgot about the announcement about BOM route. I don't remember the details regarding frequency increase on DEL. For DXB it's using 773 now instead of 789.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Hard to imagine AC successfully completing with PR's low fares, more comfortable seating and better on board service to MNL. Especially when much of the target market is the Filipino diaspora that is already familiar with PR unlike "old stock" Canadians that only consider AC.
Maybe they are counting on Filipino nationals being acquainted with the spotty maintenance and safety record of PR and think they would rather fly on a real airline? I have flown to MNL several times, but no matter the convenience I will not get on a PR plane. Which means YYC-YVR-HKG-MNL. Wasn't PR on the verge of being banned from a whole bunch of international routes due to their maintenance?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Re fuel prices and parking planes:

Crude prices are still pretty low, so yes, AC has lots of flexibility. Plenty of new 789s still coming too. If 787s are needed for these routes and the new planes aren't enough, 763s can handle some of the existing routes. I'd have to look back at AC's past presentations, but I think the 763s are being retired more slowly than they might have forecast a few years ago.

If the new routes don't work out, park the 763s at very little cost and move on.

Originally Posted by ridefar
I have flown to MNL several times, but no matter the convenience I will not get on a PR plane. Which means YYC-YVR-HKG-MNL.
Wouldn't YYC-NRT-MNL be better?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:19 pm

I hope the OP's source isn't an AC pilot or FA. They gossip about routes the way teen boys gossip about their sexual conquests. You take it all with a huge grain of salt.

Also, it has been reported that AC and airport authorities in Tehran have had talks about a Toronto-Tehran route, and if I were AC, I'd rather be the first North American airline to fly to Iran rather than the first to serve its proxy state in Lebanon.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by llbean
Just heard from a good source....

AC is starting
YYZ-BEY very soon
This can't be right at all....
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Re fuel prices and parking planes:

Crude prices are still pretty low, so yes, AC has lots of flexibility. Plenty of new 789s still coming too. If 787s are needed for these routes and the new planes aren't enough, 763s can handle some of the existing routes. I'd have to look back at AC's past presentations, but I think the 763s are being retired more slowly than they might have forecast a few years ago.

If the new routes don't work out, park the 763s at very little cost and move on.

Wouldn't YYC-NRT-MNL be better?
It depends on how much you like HK, and what you want to do when you land in MNL. Flying ANA out of NRT, you get into MNL very late, and the departing flights are usually around midnight, IIRC. Flying CX out of HK, you can get in early enough from HK that you can catch an onward flight from the private terminal same day, and departing to HK there are more options on time too so it is possible to go from wherever you are staying to HK same day without waiting in the airport at MNL for 8 hours. We often stay in HK to get use to the time zone for a day or two as well. So... it is not like NRT is a terrible routing, it is just marginally better for us to go through HKG. Final edit/thought: I haven't tried transiting there since the YYC-NRT route started, so that might make sense (and have better connection choices in MNL), I just don't know.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Dec 14, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I am thrilled about the addition of BEY -- if true. However, like others, I am surprised that this is not being done from YUL. At any rate, I would suspect it would be 3x per week initially. I really hope it is mainline AC and not Rouge!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'll wait for the official announcement though if AC can do YVR-BNE wouldn't be surprised to see it try YVR-BKK where there's no competition instead of YVR-MNL. Just MHO of course and YMMV.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
I can definitely see YVR-BKK working, it would be the only non-stop flight from the Americas to Thailand. Many people in the U.S would choose this flight rather than connecting elsewhere in Asia/Europe.

I have heard rumours about YVR-SIN too but since SQ/UA added non-stop SFO-SIN, I don't know how viable this would be.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by sluis
I can definitely see YVR-BKK working, it would be the only non-stop flight from the Americas to Thailand. Many people in the U.S would choose this flight rather than connecting elsewhere in Asia/Europe.

I have heard rumours about YVR-SIN too but since SQ/UA added non-stop SFO-SIN, I don't know how viable this would be.
TG exited the North American market last year, so I would agree that if AC does indeed operate YVR-BKK there will be enough traffic to keep this going. TG did not run non-stop, as they fuel up in ICN and/or NRT if I recall correctly.

I would not be taking AC YVR-SIN if SQ already runs non-stop SFO-SIN, and AC probably knows many customers who think this way.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
YVR-MNL sounds like a perfect Rouge route.
Except for 500 mi swim at the end of the flight, it's a great Rouge route!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.