FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC to allow status buy-up (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1806725-ac-allow-status-buy-up.html)

canadiancow Jan 10, 2020 10:18 am

Originally Posted by DaveObee (Post 31931618)
My flying dropped off suddenly in the second half of last year, and this is my first time on this site in eight months! In 2020 I think flight frequency will return to normal, but as a P25. Yikes. Can't stand the thought of P25. A few years ago I dropped to P25 and hated it, so after a few months did some segment runs to get me to 35K in a hurry. I didn't want to do that again this year, so when the offer of a buy-up arrived I decided to go for it. $779 plus tax. In December I considered a couple of YYJ-YVR-YLW runs, but did not have the time to go. The price would have been around $800, plus parking and so on, so by paying for 35K at least I get the same benefit for the same price, more or less, without the BIS.

Are the benefits really worth it? Time will tell. Since most of my segments are YYJ-YVR, and most of my miles are YYJ-YYZ in paid business, the upgrades don't matter (I didn't use any in 2019 anyway). I have no interest in lugging three suitcases to or from an airport. It really comes down to lounge access in YVR and YYZ, plus priority boarding when I have not paid for it.

Even I look at this and wonder about the sanity of my purchase. Considering only the financial aspect, it makes no sense. Maybe my brain is rusty after so much time away. Maybe it is a better deal than it seems to be.

Time will tell.

For what you want, I think there's a credit card that does all that for you. $399 annual fee and 40k mile signup bonus. I usually don't recommend it, but the benefits of E35K over P25K for someone who doesn't want upgrades are literally the same as what the CC offers.

Edit: It only has 4 lounge passes. Nevermind.

Edit: https://www.mapleleafclub.ca/en/service/memberships/ gives you what you want for $375 or $495 depending on what you want.

TOR27 Jan 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31933382)
For what you want, I think there's a credit card that does all that for you. $399 annual fee and 40k mile signup bonus. I usually don't recommend it, but the benefits of E35K over P25K for someone who doesn't want upgrades are literally the same as what the CC offers.

Edit: It only has 4 lounge passes. Nevermind.

Edit: https://www.mapleleafclub.ca/en/service/memberships/ gives you what you want for $375 or $495 depending on what you want.

If you get the CIBC card it currently has a 50K welcome bonus. The downside with this as well as the TD card is that the lounge passes are only for use when redeeming for flights. However, they do come with 6 Priority Pass lounge visits per year as well as Priority Boarding and free bags.

DaveObee Jan 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Yeah, there are workarounds, and yes, I looked into them. Let me put this another way: About 90 per cent of my driving is in my Mazda, about 90 per cent of my car maintenance money goes into my Porsche. Financially, the answer is clear: Lose the Porsche. But sometimes, you spend a bit extra to get what you want.

yyznomad Jan 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Btw, for those who are not aware, in the past, buy ups were offered in phases... so even though the current round says to accept the offer by January 9 or whatever, AC has offered another round of buy ups in the past. I was offered a buy up in February, well after the first and second (?) waves of buy up offers that I never received.

eastcoastcan Jan 13, 2020 5:37 pm

I received an offer today at $2999

This would have been about what it would have cost me to do a business class flight to get the AQM. Wish I had the time to have done that!

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan (Post 31928871)
"Dear eastcoastcan,

Thank you for taking the time to write in.

I regret to inform you that we are not offering a promotion to purchase Super Elite 100K status at this time. We strive to maintain Super Elite 100K status as exclusive as possible, and we are unable to offer any promotions to purchase this level until full 2019 qualifications have been completed. That being said, we would like to invite you to stay tuned for future offers. If you are selected for a SE100K offer at a later time, you will be notified by email.

Thank you very much for your business. We truly appreciate your loyalty to Air Canada.

Best regards,
Air Canada Altitude"

HappyinLIH Jan 13, 2020 6:41 pm

Got an offer today. From ACA to 25k, $349. Was short 1 segment and alot of AQM.

painintheuk Jan 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan (Post 31946623)

This would have been about what it would have cost me to do a business class flight to get the AQM. Wish I had the time to have done that!

So... did you take the SE offer?? From what I understood of the letter you quoted, they originally said 'no chance', so this seems a bit better.

Dr. PITUK.

P.S.
To AC/Altitude - I'LL TAKE IT!! CALL 24/7!! I'M IN!

yyznomad Jan 14, 2020 9:07 am

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan (Post 31946623)

Same price as two years ago for S100K buy-up.

eastcoastcan Jan 14, 2020 9:37 am

Originally they said "No" but "stay tuned"...

At $2999 it feels a bit hard to swallow. I get IKK, Concierge and more eups.

I'll probably save that much on using IKK instead of paying out of pocket for family trips though. IKK has been useful there.

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 31947312)
So... did you take the SE offer?? From what I understood of the letter you quoted, they originally said 'no chance', so this seems a bit better.

Dr. PITUK.

P.S.
To AC/Altitude - I'LL TAKE IT!! CALL 24/7!! I'M IN!

yowcat Jan 16, 2020 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Plumber (Post 31927835)
Any offers out there for former SEs (who are short in 2019) to buy up to SE for 20/21?

I have a colleague who has been SE for a really long time and only hit 85K this year. He is wirting to them but not sure when he will hear back.

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan (Post 31949235)
Originally they said "No" but "stay tuned"...

At $2999 it feels a bit hard to swallow. I get IKK, Concierge and more eups.

I'll probably save that much on using IKK instead of paying out of pocket for family trips though. IKK has been useful there.

It is quite a bit but if you can get one Priority Reward International J seat that you were going to use that pays for itself right there.

yyckerr Jan 17, 2020 7:45 am

Also mentioned in the 2020 status sweep thread...

Got an offer this morning to buy up to SE. $2499.

Thing is I met the lower requalification requirements in mid December with 95,646 AQM and 21,770.00 in AQD, so a bit confused (concerned?) why I got this.

Adam Smith Jan 17, 2020 7:58 am

Originally Posted by yyckerr (Post 31961785)
Thing is I met the lower requalification requirements in mid December with 95,646 AQM and 21,770.00 in AQD, so a bit confused (concerned?) why I got this.

Because AC is not well organized and/or time lag.

ffsim Jan 17, 2020 8:04 am

Originally Posted by yyckerr (Post 31961785)
Got an offer this morning to buy up to SE. $2499.

I also got the offer to buy up to E50 having met the lower requalification requirements a couple of years back. Eventually got properly tagged as E50 in a subsequent sweep. As Adam says, likely due to typical poor organization / communication from AC.

eastcoastcan Jan 17, 2020 9:00 am

Originally Posted by yowcat (Post 31958305)
It is quite a bit but if you can get one Priority Reward International J seat that you were going to use that pays for itself right there.

Wasn't going to, but you are right. I did it. Japan here we come.