Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WOW trip in Business is booked. Am I crazy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WOW trip in Business is booked. Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
And here I thought you had booked a trip to Iceland on WOW, and were about to be hugely disappointed for a) booking on an airline that has no business class, and b) the deluge of posts about you booking this in the wrong forum.
Never thought about that when I started the post that people would think I would be flying with WOW. I should of worded differently.

Last edited by Ramz; Nov 24, 2016 at 6:00 pm
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ramz
I called into Aeroplan to book this. Funny thing is one rep said this cant be done what so ever, so the next day calleg back and was able to ticket this no problem.
Yeah, we all HUCA here once every three calls because of the useless and lazy AE agents that we all get.

Regardless of whatever scorn you get here about your booking, I find your trip something that I would look forward to, if I were you.

You mentioned that your wife is not thrilled. Why is that if I may ask?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yeah, we all HUCA here once every three calls because of the useless and lazy AE agents that we all get.

Regardless of whatever scorn you get here about your booking, I find your trip something that I would look forward to, if I were you.

You mentioned that your wife is not thrilled. Why is that if I may ask?
Thanks..She is afraid of flying and with all those flights its a lot of up and down. The trip it self she is looking forward too.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by montrealer
Excitement.

Enjoy your trip, Ramz.

And it is helpful for the rest of us; gives ideas on routings, and reinforces the options available on mini-RTW.
Seriously? I suppose if one gets a thrill out of visiting icky airports. With an itinerary like this, one will need a vacation to recover. The only thing it reinforces for me on the option side is that the options suck. This reminds me of AP trying to stick me on a BKK- DEL-ZRH routing with BKK-DEL on Air India. Wasn't going to happen. My days of India are done and over with, as are my days of flying on crappy *A airlines like the ones referenced.

I am sorry, but I disagree with the description someone offered as the airlines used in the routing being superior to AC. They are not. There is a reason why TK has to offer a significantly lower fare than AC on its routes from Canada and that has to do with the growing negative vibe the airline has in respect to overcrowding at the IST lounge, the poor service, the horrible IST airport experience and the poor safety reputation of TK. A bigger portion of food isn't going to swing it for me. Besides, I am not a big fan of flying close to war zones. Been there, done that and I don't carry enough underwear to relive the experience again.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Seriously? I suppose if one gets a thrill out of visiting icky airports. With an itinerary like this, one will need a vacation to recover. The only thing it reinforces for me on the option side is that the options suck. This reminds me of AP trying to stick me on a BKK- DEL-ZRH routing with BKK-DEL on Air India. Wasn't going to happen. My days of India are done and over with, as are my days of flying on crappy *A airlines like the ones referenced.

I am sorry, but I disagree with the description someone offered as the airlines used in the routing being superior to AC. They are not. There is a reason why TK has to offer a significantly lower fare than AC on its routes from Canada and that has to do with the growing negative vibe the airline has in respect to overcrowding at the IST lounge, the poor service, the horrible IST airport experience and the poor safety reputation of TK. A bigger portion of food isn't going to swing it for me. Besides, I am not a big fan of flying close to war zones. Been there, done that and I don't carry enough underwear to relive the experience again.
Air India J is perfectly fine, and while it is true that TK lounge can be overcrowded, I have never ever have a problem find a seat and get a delicious meal in the lounge (ice can be hard to find but that's all). TK J is still a very good products and many FT will agree with me.

Otherwise, for the OP route, I would have take TK instead to SEZ and on the way back take LX then UA so that OP wouldn't pay ridiculous amount of scam charge
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
paying $2k for this

however you now need to put your credit card miles to something more useful, or avoid airlines with scam charges.

But we all got ripped off by Air Canada until we learned from FT.

Its still going to be fun enjoy!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kraafish
Air India J is perfectly fine, and while it is true that TK lounge can be overcrowded, I have never ever have a problem find a seat and get a delicious meal in the lounge (ice can be hard to find but that's all). TK J is still a very good products and many FT will agree with me.

Otherwise, for the OP route, I would have take TK instead to SEZ and on the way back take LX then UA so that OP wouldn't pay ridiculous amount of scam charge
The main purpose of this trip is to hike in Uganda to see the gorillas then onto SEZ to relax. We tossed in Prague the last minute. We didn't have much options on Airlines when we booked on the dates we wanted.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
The main purpose of this trip is to hike in Uganda to see the gorillas then onto SEZ to relax. We tossed in Prague the last minute. We didn't have much options on Airlines when we booked on the dates we wanted.
Are you going to the Bwindi Forest?

The gorillas are an amazing experience. Dont worry about the naysayers in this thread - sometimes people here are bitter because they fly for work, and/or never get to enjoy an actual vacation of any length of time.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Are you going to the Bwindi Forest?

The gorillas are an amazing experience. Dont worry about the naysayers in this thread - sometimes people here are bitter because they fly for work, and/or never get to enjoy an actual vacation of any length of time.
Yes that's where we are going to Bwindi forest. Have you been? and thanks for your kind words, seems like there's always going to be critics.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes that's where we are going to Bwindi forest. Have you been? and thanks for your kind words, seems like there's always going to be critics.
Yes, you will get separated into groups of about 8 people (so there is no point of paying for 'private' tours)
You will have to trek for anything from 1 to 6 hours. On our day, noone had to do more than 2 hours in and 2 hours out.

Its tough going with some steep uphills, and dense vegetation, but the reward is an hour next to the gorillas.

Do hire a porter, it will make your life easier, and the $15 means a lot to them

Have a stop at the equator south of Kampala for a photo-op.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, you will get separated into groups of about 8 people (so there is no point of paying for 'private' tours)
You will have to trek for anything from 1 to 6 hours. On our day, noone had to do more than 2 hours in and 2 hours out.

Its tough going with some steep uphills, and dense vegetation, but the reward is an hour next to the gorillas.

Do hire a porter, it will make your life easier, and the $15 means a lot to them

Have a stop at the equator south of Kampala for a photo-op.
Thanks we have hired a car from Entebee to the camp. I take it you did it? we are planning on stopping for the photo opp at the equator. Was the ride ok? must be quite scenic?. We are prepared for the hike. Any other info would be great?

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 28, 2016 at 1:27 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks we have hired a car from Entebee to the camp. I take it you did it? we are planning on stopping for the photo opp at the equator. Was the ride ok? must be quite scenic?. We are prepared for the hike. Any other info would be great?
If you are staying by lake bunyoni, its about an hour and a half to the gorillas, if you are closer to the forest, you wont have to get up as early.

We drove up from Kigali (which I think is closer actually) and then went to Kampala from Kabale and onwards into Kenya.

Make sure you wear waterproof and comfortable shoes, your toes will dig into the front on the descent, the jungle will cut your body, so make sure you are all covered- and gloves are a must (you can rent them) - they will also have walking sticks (free)

Its one of those life experiences that you ll never forget.

I remember the drive down from Kampala rather boring, unless its your first time in Africa, then you might find it interesting
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

If you are staying by lake bunyoni, its about an hour and a half to the gorillas, if you are closer to the forest, you wont have to get up as early.

We drove up from Kigali (which I think is closer actually) and then went to Kampala from Kabale and onwards into Kenya.

Make sure you wear waterproof and comfortable shoes, your toes will dig into the front on the descent, the jungle will cut your body, so make sure you are all covered- and gloves are a must (you can rent them) - they will also have walking sticks (free)

Its one of those life experiences that you ll never forget.

I remember the drive down from Kampala rather boring, unless its your first time in Africa, then you might find it interesting
Thank you so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.