Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best ever deal on using Aeroplan points was....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount

The very best deals ever were the now no more 120,000 first class mini RTW tickets. I did it three times!!!

Remember K9.... who first preannounced this on Flyertalk? Did he not get fired?

I also remember two domestic business class tickets for 50,000 points maybe 20 years ago.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:53 am
Original Poster

And of course no fees of any kind also many moons ago ...
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
Mine was TG F from BKK-NRT-BKK for 50,000 miles
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Given the high inflation rate (i.e. value devolution) of Aeroplan points, everyone's answers will reflect when they started flying extensively.

For me that was the early 2000s. The best deal I remember using was BATCAT - buy-a-ticket-claim-a-ticket. If you had a paid-J ticket, as an SE you could redeem a companion ticket in J at 30% off normal redemption levels and with no capacity restrictions. I did this multiple times to bring my then-girlfriend along on business trips, including 75,000 points for a J seat for her to come with me to India. After my business trip, we added 2 weeks of vacation -- and came back engaged.

Now, 11 years later, the same flight would cost double the points. As would the gold in the ring. On the other hand, while back then we both ooh aahed over the comfortable plushy business class *seats* in AC's A340s, now we both have firm opinions about which generation of AC pod in the 777s (and 787s....) is best.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:26 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
About 5 yrs ago I remember doing something like YYZ-YUL-ZRH-IST (Stop)-ZRH-HKG(turnaround)-BKK-ZRH-YUL-YYZ for 120K in First on LX & TG. Those were the days...

I also recently redeemed 7,500 points for an ORD-YYZ flight where revenue tickets were pricing out around $600+ which I thought was a pretty good deal as well.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:10 am

Nothing fancy in terms of routing, a "simple" YUL-ZRH-NRT all with LX F for 120k points and almost nothing in taxes!

Or my first LX F flight doing YUL-ORD-ZRH-LCY-FRA-TXL-ZRH-YUL where we managed to get 2 LX F seats via ORD instead of YUL-ZRH direct, the morning we where scheduled to depart YUL so that we could get a longer flight experience! Remember my friend calling me and tell me are you ready, picking you up in 15mins, we fly through ORD instead so more champagne!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Enjoyed in those days a YYZ-YUL-ZRH-HKG-KIX-NRT-ORD-YYZ with LX First x2 and ANA First to ORD. Those were the days.

Heck, we don't have to go far back to see the degradation of the program

Last year I did FUK-SIN-HND in J on Singapore and ANA all for 30,000 miles and $100 in fees/taxes. Today that same trip is 80,000 miles in J.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:54 am

Got in on both Aeroplan glitches, first was J seats to Asia 1 for half of the points required so 75K points. Did YYZ-ORD-NRT-TPE-ICN-LAX-YYZ, first time on international J and got me into the hobby. It was also for our wedding so worked out fabulously.

Second time was redemption's were pricing out to the first NA stopover regardless of where in the world you flew. Did a simple YYZ-ICN-TPE-PVG-YYZ for 50K points in J.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Booked a family of 6 (5 seats and one lap infant) in J on awards from YOW to EZE...at the time it was 75K per ticket and total taxes/fees was ~$500 for all of us. I paid more for the family visit to the travel doctor!

A paid J ticket at the time we travelled was $8K each
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
YYZ - ORD - PEK - HKG - KIX - SFO -YYZ in F . Online says 120k but when called in to calculate the taxes (back then it was a mandatory step) 100K was deducted. I didn't complain.

YYZ -YUL - ZRH - FRA - SIN - FUK - NRT - ORD - YYZ F on LX, LH (A380) and NH 120K

And grabbed the last 30K J rewards for travel this year KIX-ICN-SIN-NGO-HKD and KIX-HKG-HND
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
120k points HKG-TPE on eva RT for 4 pod seats February 2015...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
And here I thought my Y redemption from YYB (or was it YUY) to RDU for 7500 miles on a ticket that was pricing out to about $2k in flex was the best deal I'd seen.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:59 pm

Mini-RTW in F for 120k the best deal? Hahaha, no!

This is the best deal I have ever redeemed:

OGG-YVR AC J

stop

YVR-MUC LH F
~24h
MUC-BKK TG F
BKK-KBV TG J

dest

KBV-BKK TG J
BKK-FCO TG F
~24h
FCO-BRU SN J
~24H
BRU-FRA LH J
FRA-YVR LH F

stop

YVR-OGG AC J

Guess how many points it cost? Hint: Hawaii - Asia 1 pre-deval. And no fuel surcharges because of change after departure trick.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by echino
Mini-RTW in F for 120k the best deal? Hahaha, no!

This is the best deal I have ever redeemed:

OGG-YVR AC J

stop

YVR-MUC LH F
~24h
MUC-BKK TG F
BKK-KBV TG J

dest

KBV-BKK TG J
BKK-FCO TG F
~24h
FCO-BRU SN J
~24H
BRU-FRA LH J
FRA-YVR LH F

stop

YVR-OGG AC J

Guess how many points it cost? Hint: Hawaii - Asia 1 pre-deval. And no fuel surcharges because of change after departure trick.

OK, I'll bite ...
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:23 am

The What happens when glitch will always be the most memorable for me, even though it was just J for the price of Y.

But it was at the start of my miles collecting so I didn't have the 90k(x2) for J to Europe, plus it was for my honeymoon so flying biz instead of economy was extra special.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.