Canada-Canada via US

Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I'm not convinced the YYZ-LAX-YVR example works out to a price advantage. Using a US airline, on one (or both) sides of it might, although on both sides would amount to cabotage and a lot of extra travel time.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Does anybody recall those discrete days of FT?
I guess there weren't any discrete days after all.
Discreet
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm not convinced the YYZ-LAX-YVR example works out to a price advantage. Using a US airline, on one (or both) sides of it might, although on both sides would amount to cabotage and a lot of extra travel time.
Depends who you ask... YYZ-YVR flex would cost $CAD 540 on the same day. so for extra 6-7 hours and earn 1500 more miles (+aeroplan) and save around $60 is worth in my situation since I paid for all my travel. Sometimes for a little bit higher price using UA I can fly their "first" cabin for a little less miles.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adam.smith
OP's luggage point seems not to have been given much consideration.

I think there's a good chance winter IRROPS would mess up the flying on this itinerary, but checking bags seems like a recipe for disaster. So many places things can go wrong and even one tight connection that you might make as a pax where your luggage may be left behind.

Not to mention potential confusion at EWR over handling AC-AC connecting bags, which can't be a frequent occurrence.
I don't think I'd be too worried about bags here, as long as the connection time is legal.

What it really comes down to is that this is cheaper than buying the more direct option. If IRROPS happen, that means you can get rebooked on the pricier flight
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't think I'd be too worried about bags here, as long as the connection time is legal.

What it really comes down to is that this is cheaper than buying the more direct option. If IRROPS happen, that means you can get rebooked on the pricier flight
I am hesitant about connecting via EWR during winter, with bags, so sunny LAX might be a more prudent option. I would love to stay the night in LAX as suggested upthread, but I have to be back in YYJ early the next am.

It is cheaper to connect via the US- both through EWR or LAX, and the added miles/segments are welcomed after the counters depressingly reset to zero in the new year.

There is one itinerary that I'm looking at: YYT-YUL-DEN-LAX-YVR-YYJ with the DEN-LAX operated by United, but part of the AC-marketed ticket. Is this legal?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by bosboy73
Discreet
Of all the hastily-scribed, poorly-punctuated, barely-literate contributions offered by the supposed titans-of-industry members of this forum...this is the example you choose?!?

Don't I feel schooled.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Kraafish
Depends who you ask... YYZ-YVR flex would cost $CAD 540 on the same day. so for extra 6-7 hours and earn 1500 more miles (+aeroplan) and save around $60 is worth in my situation since I paid for all my travel. Sometimes for a little bit higher price using UA I can fly their "first" cabin for a little less miles.
I was looking at Tango. You're right. Flex vs Flex is a better comparison. Personally, for $200-ish TCON vs $540, not sure I'd pay $240 for 3k-ish AQM... the benefits just aren't worth it, and when I need the airline to prioritize my requests, just buying their premium (J/F whatever) seems more appropriate. $250+500 LMU puts you in J? But if going for status/points, I see the reasoning to stay flex.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:17 pm

I was looking at Tango. You're right. Flex vs Flex is a better comparison. Personally, for $200-ish TCON vs $540, not sure I'd pay $240 for 3k-ish AQM... the benefits just aren't worth it, and when I need the airline to prioritize my requests, just buying their premium (J/F whatever) seems more appropriate. $250+500 LMU puts you in J? But if going for status/points, I see the reasoning to stay flex.
Yes I agree some benefits aren't worth it for some people. For me who rarely pay for J class this is a golden opportunity to get some J experience. And I guess I look at $$$/miles perspective too, Tango would cost me $280 for YYZ-YVR for the date that I provided, so that's $200 extra to get into flex, which converts to 6666 miles if buying an Aeroplan miles. Flex would give me extra 3000 miles + me being SE thats another 3000 so that's 6,000 aeroplan miles right there which justify my MR
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kraafish
Yes I agree some benefits aren't worth it for some people. For me who rarely pay for J class this is a golden opportunity to get some J experience. And I guess I look at $$$/miles perspective too, Tango would cost me $280 for YYZ-YVR for the date that I provided, so that's $200 extra to get into flex, which converts to 6666 miles if buying an Aeroplan miles. Flex would give me extra 3000 miles + me being SE thats another 3000 so that's 6,000 aeroplan miles right there which justify my MR
Yea, my view of the Altitude value is a bit skewed at the moment; but that is unique to me.

The calculation makes sense. Are you able to redeem consistently above 3cpm?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:55 pm

Yea, my view of the Altitude value is a bit skewed at the moment; but that is unique to me.

The calculation makes sense. Are you able to redeem consistently above 3cpm?
Pretty consistent I try to buy and trick the most efficient mileage earning as much as possible before Aeroplan turn into revenue base like every other NA carrier.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Don't worry about the rules! If it works and its cheaper just do it! It's your money or points, no shame in saving!

Game 5 Cleveland VS Toronto my buddy and I tried using classic ( fixed miles) AP tickets YEG/YYC to YYZ and no seats were available. United had YYC-DEN-YYZ but AP could not book it as it was illegal! So I said thanks, hung up and booked it on-line and we flew there and came home YYZ-YYC no problem. We booked 9 hours before the flight, no luggage and came home the same day! You think we would raise red flags, Nope and I asked for a free upgrade to PY and we got it on UA.

When I lived in YOW I booked between UA & AC two different tickets going from YOW to YVR and many times it was cheaper than one ticket on AC, and it was my time which I value so i also flew in J for free, I will be criticized for playing the system, so I am guilty of out smarting most, its my money and I want to save as much as possible and the system lets me do it. I am a victim of our new attitude of saving money as a 99%
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by marke190

There is one itinerary that I'm looking at: YYT-YUL-DEN-LAX-YVR-YYJ with the DEN-LAX operated by United, but part of the AC-marketed ticket. Is this legal?
If the system allows you too then yes. What is wrong with that itinerary?

I have done YQF-YYC-YVR-EWR-YYZ-YYT-YYZ-YYC-YQF in July with no issue

Before that I did YQF-YVR-EWR-YYZ-YOW-YEG-YYC-YQF with no issue

You add a US city the price usually drops, not always, but usually!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AC S100K
Of all the hastily-scribed, poorly-punctuated, barely-literate contributions offered by the supposed titans-of-industry members of this forum...this is the example you choose?!?

Don't I feel schooled.
chose
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: air miles
Since YYZ had US Customs Preclearance how would this particular trip be handled? Presumably the traveller arrives in EWR as a Domestic flight, goes to board the international flight from EWR to YVR and checks back into Canadian customs on arrival at YVR.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
A friend of mine did YYZ-LAX-YVR quite a few times a number of years ago before Tango spread to Transborder routes. The cost for Flex (or Tango Plus) on this route was often equivalent or sometimes even less than the Tango price on YYZ-YVR.

He never had any issues. Only checked bags once and said it automatically checked to YVR and showed up without issues.

YMMV of course.

Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Since YYZ had US Customs Preclearance how would this particular trip be handled? Presumably the traveller arrives in EWR as a Domestic flight, goes to board the international flight from EWR to YVR and checks back into Canadian customs on arrival at YVR.
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.