Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada-Canada via US

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
If it's a single ticket, most unlikely to be issued though, it would be cabotage and a breach of IATA rules.

As noted, given winter weather there would be no assurance of protection in the second ticketed onward flight(s) be missed due to late arrival of the inbound flight.
Why not? Don't the AC IRROPS rules say that AC is responsible if they cause an IRROP and the customer has a connecting flight to separate flight on another ticket on either AC or OAL ticket stock?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by marke190
I was able to get it as one fair under one PNR with multi-city on google flights. Agent interaction is unavoidable in this case as I will be checking baggage

I guess the other concern is customs... Has anyone had issues doing a similar routing?
Since you didn't buy your ticket with AC direct, I'm guessing you are going to have problems. You will most likely be required to buy a new ticket and take the issue up with Google about getting your money back. I would phone AC well before flight and discuss this with them.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Since you didn't buy your ticket with AC direct, I'm guessing you are going to have problems. You will most likely be required to buy a new ticket and take the issue up with Google about getting your money back. I would phone AC well before flight and discuss this with them.
Google is not an OTA... just a search engine which helps you find the lowest fare and then redirects to AC.com to book the ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Well if they issued the ticket then it should be valid. If they give you trouble then it's their responsibility to get you to your final destination in a more direct manner. Not the customer's issue.
Ticket should not have been issued.

Probably yet another of these AC IT fail...

Of course if someone knowledgeable enough at AC notices, OP will end up being contacted by them. And if the are smart enough, they'll just move him to a more direct route.

After all they offered him an illegal route. They are to blame.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; AS MVP Gold75K; Fairmont Platinum; SPG/Marriott Platinum
You can book it straight from the AC site using Multi-City.

You can either type it all in yourself, or you use Google Flights' "Book with..." feature and it enters everything for you. Either way, AC allows this routing.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ia Ora
You can book it straight from the AC site using Multi-City.

You can either type it all in yourself, or you use Google Flights' "Book with..." feature and it enters everything for you. Either way, AC allows this routing.
Are all the flights marked with a X or is one flight broken?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by marke190
I guess the other concern is customs... Has anyone had issues doing a similar routing?
Customs won't care. This would be the same as doing an MR. The time I flew into SFO from YYJ, and told customs I was connecting to YYJ, they didn't care. Well, then the dude told me about a mileage run he did on Alaska.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:04 pm

All good.

Just booked it and cancelled. $681 (Tango).

I also tried YYT - YYZ - LAX - YVR - YYJ and it works, too, and is cheaper ($493).

Seems like routing through the US on AC is fine after all, as long as you don't travel between two US cities?

Last edited by Ia Ora; Nov 20, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
All good.

I also tried YYT - YYZ - LAX - YVR - YYJ and it works, too, and is cheaper ($493).

Seems like routing through the US on AC is fine after all, as long as you don't travel between two US cities?
That's what I'm thinking, I'm just afraid of agents giving me trouble about the routing ie. "this routing isn't allowed... you shouldn't have been able to book this..."

via LAX instead of EWR looks better as I won't have to deal with the potential weather disturbances that EWR is notorious for.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:27 pm
Suspended

All good.

Did you look close enough to see if the fare as broken?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Looks like there's a fare-break at the US connecting point. Why not add an overnight stopover (if you have time) and soak up some sun in LA? It should price out the same. And you won't have to worry about delays, your baggage not making it, grumpy airport agents, etc.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:32 pm

Did you look close enough to see if the fare as broken?
The fare is broken, the PNR is not.

Looks like they employ degree of freedom 3 and 4:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Here we go again: trumpeting hidden fares to the world so that it's only a matter of time before another loophole is closed. Does anybody recall those discrete days of FT?

Oh, wait...thinking of the Hat Dance fiasco and Trick It itineraries and the "aren't I clever" Great Cdn Mileage Run and how that ended for the original canaries in terms of tightened rules, I guess there weren't any discrete days after all.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
I think checking luggage would be the issue as I expect the US point is actually the first destination and then you have a new ticket from their to your destination. You'd generally be expected to pick up your luggage at your destination and then check it for the next leg in your journey.

As suggested a longer stopover should allow you to do comfortably and likely no added cost if the same fare classes are available.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Here we go again: trumpeting hidden fares to the world so that it's only a matter of time before another loophole is closed. Does anybody recall those discrete days of FT?

Oh, wait...thinking of the Hat Dance fiasco and the "aren't I clever" Great Cdn Mileage Run and how that ended for the original canaries in terms of tightened rules, I guess there weren't any discrete days after all.
You can't fix stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.