FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Watered Down Booze at YYC lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1803257-watered-down-booze-yyc-lounge.html)

yvrflyr Nov 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Watered Down Booze at YYC lounge

As a frequent visitor to the YYC lounge, I have started to notice that the drinks have been tasting weaker than normal and today, I happened to notice an unopened bottle of JW black label sitting next to a half full bottle and the optical density of the unopened bottle was definitely darker. Who would one report this to, since I suspect complaining to the guy behind the bar is not going to resolve this situation

eigenvector Nov 18, 2016 7:59 pm

This pretty much sums up my thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3Q...outu.be&t=2403

Stranger Nov 18, 2016 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by yvrflyr (Post 27499850)
As a frequent visitor to the YYC lounge, I have started to notice that the drinks have been tasting weaker than normal and today, I happened to notice an unopened bottle of JW black label sitting next to a half full bottle and the optical density of the unopened bottle was definitely darker. Who would one report this to, since I suspect complaining to the guy behind the bar is not going to resolve this situation

Isn't the lounge now run by an AC subcontractor? Short cuts, I guess...

Maybe AC is the place to complain? Surely their contract does not provide for that sort of things? But someone somewhere thought they should be able to get away with it...

LondonElite Nov 19, 2016 2:19 am

I would be very surprised if this is the case. There is only so much dilution that won't be noticed, and the cost savings are not really significant. Weighing the risk of exposure against this savings, you'd have to be a fool to make this policy. I suspect that, based on one observation, it's a case of sunlight exposure or something like that.

mapleg Nov 19, 2016 8:28 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27500638)
I would be very surprised if this is the case. There is only so much dilution that won't be noticed, and the cost savings are not really significant. Weighing the risk of exposure against this savings, you'd have to be a fool to make this policy. I suspect that, based on one observation, it's a case of sunlight exposure or something like that.

Having worked in restaurants in my student days I would not be surprised. Nothing to do with cost savings...likely a bartender pilfering for his own drinking pleasure and topping it up a bit with water.

quantumofforce Nov 19, 2016 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 27501317)
Having worked in restaurants in my student days I would not be surprised. Nothing to do with cost savings...likely a bartender pilfering for his own drinking pleasure and topping it up a bit with water.

bars I worked at weighed the bottles before and after shifts and then calculated how many drinks a bar tender should have sold. Then compared to the bar receipts and there was "acceptable spillage" aka making doubles for friends.

Wpgjetse Nov 19, 2016 8:33 am

Originally Posted by yvrflyr (Post 27499850)
, I happened to notice an unopened bottle of JW black label sitting next to a half full bottle and the optical density of the unopened bottle was definitely darker.

.??? Any unopened bottle is always darker than a 1/2 full bottle in clear glass. Your problem is most likely the ice. I find the ice at YYC not very hard, so it melts faster than normal. Cut the ice or drink faster, you will be fine.

LondonElite Nov 19, 2016 8:49 am

What does ice have to do with the bottle?

Wpgjetse Nov 19, 2016 8:59 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27501401)
What does ice have to do with the bottle?

.? The ice is in your drinking glass:confused:

LondonElite Nov 19, 2016 9:04 am

But the OP was comparing bottles, not drinks in glasses.

Wpgjetse Nov 19, 2016 9:17 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27501462)
But the OP was comparing bottles, not drinks in glasses.

What part of taste weaker don't you understand.

mapleg Nov 19, 2016 9:21 am

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 27501334)
bars I worked at weighed the bottles before and after shifts and then calculated how many drinks a bar tender should have sold. Then compared to the bar receipts and there was "acceptable spillage" aka making doubles for friends.

But it is an airport lounge. No receipts since they are not selling by the drink. Also, weight of water is not different that weight of spirits, so bottle still could be surreptitiously topped up with H20

quantumofforce Nov 19, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 27501515)
But it is an airport lounge. No receipts since they are not selling by the drink. Also, weight of water is not different that weight of spirits, so bottle still could be surreptitiously topped up with H20

I was just relating a personal experience where yes people added water to up the weight in bottles.

LondonElite Nov 19, 2016 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse (Post 27501503)
What part of taste weaker don't you understand.

Where is the opening post is there mention of ice in the drink?

Wpgjetse Nov 19, 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27501808)
Where is the opening post is there mention of ice in the drink?

1 + 1 = 2?
Drinks taste weaker + soft ice (melts faster) = reason.

Understand now?