Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watered Down Booze at YYC lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So I have a few comments.

First, I've seen them open new bottles when I order drinks. I can hear the crack, so I know it's new.

Second, this isn't fancy expensive liquor. It's cheap, and they go through many bottles per day. And they keep the bottles out, so they can't be doing this in a back room (or they would all be open already, which they're not).

Third, WHY? What do they really have to gain from watering down a $10 bottle when the booze is free?

My typical lounge drinking procedure goes something like this. I arrive from somewhere I wasn't drinking (work, home, wherever). I grab a drink, and drink it. I repeat this. Over the course of my lounge visit, I slow down, as I get to the point I want to be at before boarding the flight.

If the drinks are weaker, I order more. Except this means they have to use more ice, more mix, and dirty more glasses. So they're certainly not saving money.

And I doubt it's the bartender stealing it, because it's free. They don't need to sell $50 in drinks for every empty bottle. There's no way they're doing inventory to a level that the bartender wouldn't be on the floor before anyone noticed.

This all being said, my drink of choice at YYC is Captain Morgan spiced rum (I've made them toss a few drinks because they pour dark when I ask for spiced) and Coke Zero, with ice. It would have to be pretty watered down for me to notice anything. If they were doing a 75/25 split, I'd just end up ordering a drink I wouldn't have otherwise, but I would not notice the issue.
I think your definition of cheap and what Canadians think is cheap is so vast, it could fill a billion android apps plus all the "cheap" google stuff you get.

The scotch served in the MLL, is not cheap.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Makes the bartenders day easier, but likely frowned upon by "money conscious" management.
Money conscious management don't hire bartenders. Or offer free booze.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
lightweight.

4 too much? That's just getting started. Besides ... 4 is about the right amount needed to deal with annoying people skipping the line when boarding, rude passengers, ornery flight attendants, and grannies trying to steal your upgrade.

7 or 8, maybe that's pushing it. But 4 is just a warm up!
It was a long island ice tea, in a pint glass to the top :-O

Guessing that's around 4.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:52 pm

This sounds pretty interesting. Maybe the staff is stealing the booze. I can't see management telling their staff to do such a thing. That would be absurd.

I've never had problems with YYZ and I travel to their lounge 3 times a year.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Most of the liquor served in the MLL (Barcardi White, Tanqueray Gin, Baileys, vodka) retails for $20-$30 incl. taxes per 750ml bottle, depending on the province.

The only liquor that's significantly more expensive than that is JW.
I think you forgot the Glenlivet.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I think you forgot the Glenlivet.
You're right. I admit I'm not a big scotch drinker.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yvrchris
This sounds pretty interesting. Maybe the staff is stealing the booze. I can't see management telling their staff to do such a thing. That would be absurd.

I've never had problems with YYZ and I travel to their lounge 3 times a year.
YYZ booze are locked in those dispensers. Pretty hard to "water them down" once mounted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.