Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: aeroplan, united, Fairmont, SPG, HHonours
Question help please upgrade bid from standard to business class

Hello - I have reviewed this this thread but still unable to figure out what I can do on this.
I am 35K and booked two standard fare tickets class L to YYZ to FCO on June 14 returning June 29 - both tickets cost $2320
Put a bid for 1220 each to upgrade to business class on departure (AC890) and put 400 bid on each ticket for return AC891
both still pending.
I have 34 eupgrades credits. tried to use that but message is : not elegible to upgrade.
Anxious to upgrade - I called AC last week - and was told if I pay cash it is 9000 a ticket (?!?) on departure and only 2 seats left
it is 900 to upgrade on return flight to premium economy -

Can anyone please advise me on my chances here or what I can do to advance my position on this upgrade? or whether i even have a chance?
also : please - how do you all get this series of numbers of seats available? (J0 R9 C5 etc )?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I recently attended a Plusgrade presentation and learned the following:
  • Altitude status positively impacts chances to be approved for an upgrade, even if bid is lower that nobody or lower status passengers.
  • Certain passenger categories, such as passengers ticketed with kids, are disqualified from having their upgrade bids selected.
  • These kind of criteria can be different for other airlines using Plusgrade.
Interesting. The one person I know off of FT who had their bid approved ... was a family of four including two kids. They also had status, FWIW.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Originally Posted by nh100
Hello - I have reviewed this this thread but still unable to figure out what I can do on this.
I am 35K and booked two standard fare tickets class L to YYZ to FCO on June 14 returning June 29 - both tickets cost $2320
Put a bid for 1220 each to upgrade to business class on departure (AC890) and put 400 bid on each ticket for return AC891
both still pending.
I have 34 eupgrades credits. tried to use that but message is : not elegible to upgrade.
Anxious to upgrade - I called AC last week - and was told if I pay cash it is 9000 a ticket (?!?) on departure and only 2 seats left
it is 900 to upgrade on return flight to premium economy -

Can anyone please advise me on my chances here or what I can do to advance my position on this upgrade? or whether i even have a chance?
also : please - how do you all get this series of numbers of seats available? (J0 R9 C5 etc )?
AC 890 on the 14th is: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O1 E0 N0 Y9

891 on return: J2 C2 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E0 N0 Y2

The fare availability numbers are from Expertflyer or a TA.

Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: aeroplan, united, Fairmont, SPG, HHonours
thank you for your reply
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jc94

Interesting. The one person I know off of FT who had their bid approved ... was a family of four including two kids. They also had status, FWIW.

How old were the two kids ? The Plusgrade rep wasn't specific about the age of kids that triggered the exclusion. I see Air Canada has 3 age groups for kids: Infants, 2-11, and 12-15

The rep mentioned the reason for the exclusion is that AC and its premium clients don't want crying kids in business class.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How old were the two kids ? The Plusgrade rep wasn't specific about the age of kids that triggered the exclusion. I see Air Canada has 3 age groups for kids: Infants, 2-11, and 12-15

The rep mentioned the reason for the exclusion is that AC and its premium clients don't want crying kids in business class.
And yet they have a bassinet.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....The rep mentioned the reason for the exclusion is that AC and its premium clients don't want crying kids in business class.
OK, that's amusing. If this rep had accurate info from someone at AC, then someone is a wee bit off on the "kids in business class" thing.

Maybe AC doesn't want kids as part of the bid upgrade process, which makes no sense since kids are in business class anyway.

There have been infants and/or toddlers and/or many kids under the age of 10 on every single one of my TPACs. From what I was told, they were all paid tickets, not Aeroplan. The best behaved are the infants and even the toddlers. The older kids had a little cabin fever.

Spend some time flying to HKG and TPE and you'll see what I mean.

My point is, AC is not going to turn down money from anyone who is willing to pay. If a family with 3 kids is buying business class tickets, those kids are in business class.

As for Plusgrade, well, maybe they have an algorithm that does have "preferences".
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Maybe it's because they can't guarantee seat assignments and don't wanna upgrade a parent away from a kid?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by 24left
OK, that's amusing. If this rep had accurate info from someone at AC, then someone is a wee bit off on the "kids in business class" thing.

Maybe AC doesn't want kids as part of the bid upgrade process, which makes no sense since kids are in business class anyway.

There have been infants and/or toddlers and/or many kids under the age of 10 on every single one of my TPACs. From what I was told, they were all paid tickets, not Aeroplan. The best behaved are the infants and even the toddlers. The older kids had a little cabin fever.

Spend some time flying to HKG and TPE and you'll see what I mean.

My point is, AC is not going to turn down money from anyone who is willing to pay. If a family with 3 kids is buying business class tickets, those kids are in business class.

As for Plusgrade, well, maybe they have an algorithm that does have "preferences".
my post was merely to recount that the Plusgrade rep indicated that there is a discrimination/exclusion against PNRs that have tickets for childs, in the upgrade bid management algo used for AC.

I was not stating that AC dislikes revenue kids in business class.

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I was not stating that AC dislikes kids in business class, in broad terms.

What about adults?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

my post was merely to recount that the Plusgrade rep indicated that there is a discrimination/exclusion against PNRs that have tickets for childs, in the upgrade bid management algo used for AC.....

Right, thus my last line

.....I was not stating that AC dislikes revenue kids in business class.
I know you weren't. I was just pointing out that there may be a difference in AC paid tickets vs how Plusgrade works, plus there are plenty of kids in J

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Maybe it's because they can't guarantee seat assignments and don't wanna upgrade a parent away from a kid?
​​​​​​​A good point actually.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Right, thus my last line

I know you weren't. I was just pointing out that there may be a difference in AC paid tickets vs how Plusgrade works, plus there are plenty of kids in J

A good point actually.
Maybe AC is following AA in that they will take paid J for kids but prefer not to have more kids via upg. My colleague with the highest status in AA was downgraded from a premium cabin because other pax told the SD they did not want to be near kids. So he was offered the option of staying up front with wife and kid banished to the back or all moving back. This was on the ground before takeoff. Anyway, just speculation and likely wrong.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:04 am

From my understanding you aren't able to bid upgrade on a reservation if you have an infant on lap as part of reservation. I wonder if this ties into AC when trying to book an intl fare and have an infant on lap you have to call AC reservations to do it. Personally I find this completely mystifying, as we've booked lots of previous trips with UA and their IT system was able to handle it. In any regard..
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
Maybe AC is following AA in that they will take paid J for kids but prefer not to have more kids via upg. My colleague with the highest status in AA was downgraded from a premium cabin because other pax told the SD they did not want to be near kids. So he was offered the option of staying up front with wife and kid banished to the back or all moving back. This was on the ground before takeoff. Anyway, just speculation and likely wrong.
Please link to the FT thread in the AA forum or I don't believe you
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
AC828 :
9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 O9 E9 N9 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9
So I would say your chances are good for the bid being accepted. Specially since you have offered more than the min.
AC829 :
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 O8 E8 N6 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9
Little tougher here but still likely to succeed.
These loads may change nearer that date but unlikely to completely sell out or sell close to capacity.
This a Airbus 330. E and N are PE classes. So this means there are at least 9 seats unsold in PE on the outbound and 8 on the return.
All the low fare economy classes are still available so unlikely to be any op-ups.
Just got an email that my bid was accepted. I bid $345 per person for two people.

They also refunded my economy class seat selection charge.

Let's see if it was worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.