Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:48 pm

HKG-YVR Success

Success with $600 USD PE TO BSNS for wife and I HKG to YVR 10/2. Both PE and BSNS still only half full.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:05 pm

YVR-YYZ from Comfort(G)
J Offered $500-$1050 or buy now $900
PY offered $220-$700 or buy now $630

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll wait for the upgrade to clear.

No the best comparison as I'm on a two segment itinerary.
At the moment fares for this segment only... Comfort $589, PY $1096, J $1943.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by tracon
YVR-YYZ from Comfort(G)
J Offered $500-$1050 or buy now $900
PY offered $220-$700 or buy now $630

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll wait for the upgrade to clear.

No the best comparison as I'm on a two segment itinerary.
At the moment fares for this segment only... Comfort $589, PY $1096, J $1943.
lol... why would they offer a bid range that goes above the 'buy now' price?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Ill informed or desperate pax?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Put in my ebid for 900/pax for LHR-YVR Jan05
Currently in PY, fare O

J was 2000 more than PY, so may increase my ebid up to 1200 or so based on likelihood of getting it
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
YYZ-ICN min bid over $1000. If I remember correctly the 'good' bid was like $1400 plus. Flight went out with at least 10 J seats empty. I eupg instead since the bids were too expensive.
jc94 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:11 pm

Duplicate
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Ill informed or desperate pax?
Ah. AC IT strikes again. Or just very poor spec!
capedreamer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Ah. AC IT strikes again. Or just very poor spec!

Maybe the guaranteed upg goes away after a couple of people take it and then defaults back to the range . Which is why they just left the range in. Also to show the guaranteed upg is cheaper than what could be a higher bid later. Avoids the perception of paying the max for a guaranteed upg as that would mean people would probably gamble instead of taking the guaranteed upg by paying the max of the range.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by vernonc
Maybe the guaranteed upg goes away after a couple of people take it and then defaults back to the range . Which is why they just left the range in. Also to show the guaranteed upg is cheaper than what could be a higher bid later. Avoids the perception of paying the max for a guaranteed upg as that would mean people would probably gamble instead of taking the guaranteed upg by paying the max of the range.
If you’re correct about option 1, AC should figure out how to adjust the range dynamically.

If you’re correct about option 2, AC must not think very highly about the intelligence of its customers.
jc94 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:27 pm

If you’re correct about option 1, AC should figure out how to adjust the range dynamically.

If you’re correct about option 2, AC must not think very highly about the intelligence of its customers.
Since the bid upgrade is run by plusgrade, I suspect the range is set and submitted by AC and is fixed.
Must you even ask that about option 2 :-).
To some people, being able to get a guaranteed saving and a confirmed upg over the max bid might sound like a deal. FOTSG kind.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I've given up. We bid the max both ways on the AC 33/34 from YYZ to SYD. (2 grand from memory). Didn't win either way. Initially the O/B was accepted and we had a warning from VISA (other CCs are available) of a large transaction followed by a second email 30 mins later stating the charge was cancelled.
of course, it goes without saying there were several seats free in both directions. We were in PE and so slummed it, just off the plane more tired, less hungover, more hungry, more stiff etc though the 10 across in Y for a 15 hour flight looked brutal.
Do the third party company take status into account? I've tried for Denver, Halifax and also nowt. I guess the upgrade now feature provides certainty! That said, I skip the upgrade now from YOW to YYZ for a 40 min flight with a (cold) continental breakfast and no booze for $160 on an E190.
I guess my only complaint is the entire process is not transparent, and is a lottery and so the winning formula - if there is one (and it's not random) remains a mystery
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I've given up. We bid the max both ways on the AC 33/34 from YYZ to SYD. (2 grand from memory). Didn't win either way. Initially the O/B was accepted and we had a warning from VISA (other CCs are available) of a large transaction followed by a second email 30 mins later stating the charge was cancelled.
of course, it goes without saying there were several seats free in both directions. We were in PE and so slummed it, just off the plane more tired, less hungover, more hungry, more stiff etc though the 10 across in Y for a 15 hour flight looked brutal.
Do the third party company take status into account? I've tried for Denver, Halifax and also nowt. I guess the upgrade now feature provides certainty! That said, I skip the upgrade now from YOW to YYZ for a 40 min flight with a (cold) continental breakfast and no booze for $160 on an E190.
I guess my only complaint is the entire process is not transparent, and is a lottery and so the winning formula - if there is one (and it's not random) remains a mystery
I'm not saying it's worth $160, but there is booze on YOW-YYZ.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:26 am

Success YUL - MCO Rouge flight
Bought a ticket on points in Y, paid for preferred exit row seat.
Bid the lowest, $205 CAD, highest options was $700.
Got an email this morning accepting it, this is three days out from flight.
Preferred seat fee also refunded.

Considering I get lounge access, food and drinks, two free checked bags and zone 2. I would say this is a win.
Queen B likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:48 am

That's about $70/hr (I'm guessing), so a pretty good deal by most standards.
Queen B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.