Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Air Canada implements bidding for J upgrades

Question: Air Canada implements bidding for J upgrades

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 24left
Wiki Link
AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...pgrade-FAQ.pdf

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/...aen|170201|txt
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 29, 18, 6:37 pm

Placed a bid max ($2500) for signature class YYZ to HND just for kicks and the experience. Seat selector showing 14 unassigned seats. Hopefully AC sends me some good news tomorrow/Friday. I'm hoping greedy AC accepts my bid.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Aug 29, 18, 6:45 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by amw3000 View Post
Placed a bid max ($2500) for signature class YYZ to HND just for kicks and the experience. Seat selector showing 14 unassigned seats. Hopefully AC sends me some good news tomorrow/Friday. I'm hoping greedy AC accepts my bid.
You bid $2500, the max for an upgrade? From a low Y fare I take it, canít you buy P fares for that route for $3-4k?

Whenís the flight? They clear bids around t-96 to 72 normally.

I donít think Iíve seen any reports of someone who bid the max before.
Old Aug 29, 18, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 View Post

You bid $2500, the max for an upgrade? From a low Y fare I take it, canít you buy P fares for that route for $3-4k?

Whenís the flight? They clear bids around t-96 to 72 normally.

I donít think Iíve seen any reports of someone who bid the max before.
Don't want to deal with the travel agent/AC, bidding makes things easier and fun Flight is Saturday afternoon. Bidding is closed at this point and my offer still shows as pending. No charges on CC yet.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 18, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Yup. 14 still open. PE and Y are almost completely full.
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post

You bid $2500, the max for an upgrade? From a low Y fare I take it, can’t you buy P fares for that route for $3-4k?
Well, there are a couple of days where the return Biz fare is like $3,478, and then others are fun amounts like $7,119, $8,244 and my personal favourite $11,059.

Don't want to deal with the travel agent/AC, bidding makes things easier and fun Flight is Saturday afternoon. Bidding is closed at this point and my offer still shows as pending. No charges on CC yet.
I vote for fun. Looking forward to your update.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ShinyO View Post
It appears the bid I put in to upgrade to J for my SFO-YYZ flight on Saturday has been accepted ($500USD) as I just noticed a foreign transaction posted to my Amex from Plusgrade. No e-mail from AC yet but I assume it's coming at some point today.

So, so many questions.

1) I had already paid extra for a preferred seat assignment just in case the bid didn't go through. Does that get refunded or do I forfeit? I think it was ~$35.
2) Do I get to choose my own seat?
3) Do I get to use a lounge at SFO?
4) Do I get free checked bags or is the baggage policy based on my original ticket?

Sorry, I know I'm clearly a newbie to both business travel, loyalty points etc.
1) Should be automatically refunded.
2) Yes
3) Iím not familiar with SFO, but if thereís a lounge accessible to AC business class passengers, then yes,.
4) Should be free checked bags per business class rules.
ShinyO likes this.
Old Aug 30, 18, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Yup. 14 still open. PE and Y are almost completely full.

Well, there are a couple of days where the return Biz fare is like $3,478, and then others are fun amounts like $7,119, $8,244 and my personal favourite $11,059.

I vote for fun. Looking forward to your update.
Got my successful bid email this morning. I was able to snag the last window seat as well. A small part of me was still thinking AC was going to be greedy, reject my offer.and try to get more money via LMU as they know people who bid the max will most likely pay even more. I wonder if they do this based on the amount of bids.
On my return trip, I'm going to bid lower and I'll bid on both classes.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 18, 8:43 pm

From low Comfort...
YYG-YUL min bid $150
YUL-YVR min bid $500

No offer made. Will use e ups.

LMU offered for
$185
$525
Old Aug 31, 18, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by ShinyO View Post
3) Do I get to use a lounge at SFO?
Yes! There's a United Club located in International Terminal G (where you're scheduled to take off from) between gates G98 and G100. Not as nice as MLL IMHO (i.e. no showers) but has a respectable food spread, especially during the morning hours. Sadly you no longer have access to the Polaris Lounge at SFO since United no longer considers flights to Canada as being long-haul international (they used to).

-James
ShinyO likes this.
Old Aug 31, 18, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
I'd honestly suggest venturing to a T3 UC (or Amex Centurion, or one of the new Priority Pass restaurants) if you have more than 30 minutes.

The G UC doesn't have a bar, so there's only self-serve beer and wine. They're not allowed to have self-serve liquor, per the agents. Which is funny, because they were certainly allowed when it was the GFL.
ShinyO likes this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
First time considering bid upgrades. Read AC's FAQ and skimmed through a dozen pages in this thread but didn't see a definitive answer.

This is for DXB-YYZ in a couple weeks. Bid upgrade site is showing a minimum bid of C$700. Curious what happens if I submit a bid now, and at T-7 also request an eUpgrade? Will the system let me? Will AC prioritize the bid upgrade ahead of opening up R-space for eUps or are the two processed entirely independently of each other? Would appreciate any light folks can shed. Thank you!
Old Sep 2, 18, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
First time considering bid upgrades. Read AC's FAQ and skimmed through a dozen pages in this thread but didn't see a definitive answer.

This is for DXB-YYZ in a couple weeks. Bid upgrade site is showing a minimum bid of C$700. Curious what happens if I submit a bid now, and at T-7 also request an eUpgrade? Will the system let me? Will AC prioritize the bid upgrade ahead of opening up R-space for eUps or are the two processed entirely independently of each other? Would appreciate any light folks can shed. Thank you!
Spoke to a concierge agent, and their answer is that the two systems are independent. Nothing prevents you from submitting both an eUpgrade and a bid upgrade request, and if one goes through, you wonít be charged for the other. Couldnít say how the relative prioritization works or whether doing one might affect the odds of the other through.

Does this jive peopleís experiences here?
Old Sep 2, 18, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'd honestly suggest venturing to a T3 UC (or Amex Centurion, or one of the new Priority Pass restaurants) if you have more than 30 minutes.

The G UC doesn't have a bar, so there's only self-serve beer and wine. They're not allowed to have self-serve liquor, per the agents. Which is funny, because they were certainly allowed when it was the GFL.
I ended up doing the T3 UC lounge as I had an early morning flight and G lounge only opens at 6:30. I didnít partake at the bar since it opens at 8 but the spread was decent and I thought the lounge was a good place to get some work done (esp since the plane didnít have WiFi?!?!)

Old Sep 2, 18, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
Curious what happens if I submit a bid now, and at T-7 also request an eUpgrade?
Unsure what is meant by T-7. If you mean 7 hours prior to departure then no you cannot place a new/revised bid. Those need to be placed days in advance with the decision typically coming out at T-48. At least that has been my (successful) experience using the LH system which also used the same system (PlusGrade)

-James
Old Sep 2, 18, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post

Unsure what is meant by T-7. If you mean 7 hours prior to departure then no you cannot place a new/revised bid. Those need to be placed days in advance with the decision typically coming out at T-48. At least that has been my (successful) experience using the LH system which also used the same system (PlusGrade)

-James
Sorry - I meant T-7 days, which is when the eUpgrade window opens for the fare class I've booked.
Old Sep 2, 18, 12:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
AC claims bids are cleared at 4 days or 96 hours. However from what Iíve seen here and also heard from others 48-72h also occurs.

Whether or not AC will intentionally ignore your waitlisted eUp due to bids I donít know. I suspect not because their IT just isnít up to it.

Nor do I have any idea what fare bucket bids go into, though the same as eUps (R) would be my guess. JCDZP wouldnít make sense as that donít want you getting some of those benefits, maybe I.
capedreamer likes this.

Search this Thread