Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 19, 22, 7:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yowcat
Wiki Link
If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?

No.

If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

No.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...pgrade-FAQ.pdf

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 16, 22, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by TheViperOne View Post
I have a flight to MUC next week, Iím waitlisted and within the clearance window but the flights both there and back are zeroed out completely. Yet I have an option for instant upgrade for both me and Mrs Viper on both there and back?
What are the flights?
Old Sep 16, 22, 1:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
What are the flights?
AC834 on 22 Sept and AC835 on 26 Sept. AC834 now strangely showing J5 but 835 coming back still zeroed out. Iíve been monitoring these flights daily and the 835 flight briefly went to like J7 for a day or day and a half 4-5 days ago then back to zeroed out the next day.
Old Sep 19, 22, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA, JB, AA, DL
AC Upgrade Question

We are flying Montreal to Milan and are seated in Premium Economy. I bid on the return leg the minimum price. We fly back Nov. 26th. I am prepared to raise my bid if recommended. Thoughts?
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:33 pm

AC Bid Upgrade - Flight 1816 from YYZ-NAS

Hi everyone! New to flyertalk. We are flying Saturday to Bahamas from Toronto and placed a bid upgrade for our flight. Itís currently about 40 hrs from departure and we havenít heard either way if our bid was accepted or rejected. Is this typical of AC (we are new to bidding for upgrades)? Is someone able to check this flight on EF for us? Thanks!!!
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:47 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
First, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'm not sure what the current lead time is for successful bid upgrade notifications, but for what it's worth, here what your flight looks like right now:

AC1816: J2 C2 D1 Z0 P0 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T8 L8 K2 G0 F0.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
First, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'm not sure what the current lead time is for successful bid upgrade notifications, but for what it's worth, here what your flight looks like right now:

AC1816: J2 C2 D1 Z0 P0 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T8 L8 K2 G0 F0.
thank you! Does this indicate that likely no upgrades with R=0 then?
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Kellyj View Post
thank you! Does this indicate that likely no upgrades with R=0 then?
Bid upgrades don't depend on R space.

The usual time for bid upgrades to clear is T-48. The fact you haven't gotten an upgrade suggests you won't get it, rather than whether or not there's R space.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Bid upgrades don't depend on R space.

The usual time for bid upgrades to clear is T-48. The fact you haven't gotten an upgrade suggests you won't get it, rather than whether or not there's R space.
thank you! Thatís what I was thinking. Itís a short flight and we thought it would be nice if we could snag it but no big deal if we donít!
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
I bid on the return leg the minimum price.
The right choice.

Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
I am prepared to raise my bid if recommended.
Not the right choice.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 22, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP.
bookd premium economy for my father on the a330 YYZ to LAX put an offer for 405 cad to upgrade got rejected but logged online during check in and it shows a 900 cad offer seems excessive for a PE to J upgrade even though im still considering.
Old Sep 26, 22, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC
I just returned from Rome, and bid slightly more than the minimum YUL to FCO, and bid the minimum on the return. The flight over my bid was rejected, but was able to upgrade on check in, for less than my bid. That seems odd. And on the return flight my bid was accepted. Was ~950 each way. Original fare was economy latitude book with Aeroplan points.
Old Sep 26, 22, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by retrop View Post
The flight over my bid was rejected, but was able to upgrade on check in, for less than my bid. That seems odd.
Revenue management is a very complicated exercise. It's possible that, at the time they ran bids, the load was very high, or it's a route where they often get new bookings after T-48. As such, their opportunity cost of selling you the seat via bid up, at T-48, was high. Subsequent to that, people cancelled or changed off the flight, or they didn't get the last-minute bookings that they expected, such that by the time you checked in, the LMU they offered you was the best they figured they could do.

As you can see from the post immediately above yours, when it comes to bid up vs LMU, sometimes it goes very much in the opposite direction.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 26, 22 at 3:41 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Sep 28, 22, 8:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi All,

I have a flight from YYZ to YVR this friday. I currently have 3 economy seats (G class) and I was thinking of upgrading through bid. But I dont think G class is ellibigle to even bid for an upgrade, correct?

I was wondering if I can use $$ or Aeroplan points to ask for an upgrade at the airport. Does anyone has any experience with that? How much $$ (or Aeroplan points) to upgrade to business is considered a good deal?
Old Sep 28, 22, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by maxx_ View Post
Hi All,

I have a flight from YYZ to YVR this friday. I currently have 3 economy seats (G class) and I was thinking of upgrading through bid. But I dont think G class is ellibigle to even bid for an upgrade, correct?
Pretty much all fares are eligible for bid upgrades, except codeshares and group bookings (that means large groups, like tour groups, not just multi-passenger PNRs). Also, please note that since AC uses branded fares, fare class is often not the most useful way to characterize your booking, as G could be one of several brands, such as Flex or Standard.

Try your booking on the bid upgrade website and see if it's eligible. Although if you're already within 48 hours of the flight (you didn't say what time on Friday your flight leaves), you're too late.

I was wondering if I can use $$ or Aeroplan points to ask for an upgrade at the airport. Does anyone has any experience with that? How much $$ (or Aeroplan points) to upgrade to business is considered a good deal?
That's a last-minute upgrade, which has its own thread.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 28, 22 at 9:11 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Sep 29, 22, 10:27 am

I have an upfare offer from Economy to Premium Econ (not through plusgrade). If I pay for that can I still do a bid upgrade to business class? Will the bid range change in that case or does the range stay the same as if I still had an economy fare?

Search this Thread