Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warrens
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jazzsax
I've hated the design.

What was the range on PE?
Can't remember, still waiting for the UG to clear. Oh well.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:45 pm

YYZ - LHR

As a data point, instant upgrade is available today at $1650 for AC856 Sept 2; bid range is 1000-2000.

Curious, but I actually had to cancel my bid and then start over for the instant upgrade option to show - has anyone else had this happen? I wanted to resubmit the bid with a different credit card, so it didn't really matter but how annoying!
Old Sep 4, 2022, 12:29 am

I’m flying out on sept 7th and I bid for an upgrade and there are 6 available seats in business class (J6), what are my chances of being upgraded? My current ticket is economy comfort. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Paid upgrade points question

Hi
I bid on, and got, an upgrade from Premium Economy to Business LHR-YVR. Will I get points for PE or the business cabin? (I usually fly One World, and in this situation with BA I get the higher number of points, with AA I don’t, so not sure how it works on Air Canada).
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Whenderson
Hi
I bid on, and got, an upgrade from Premium Economy to Business LHR-YVR. Will I get points for PE or the business cabin? (I usually fly One World, and in this situation with BA I get the higher number of points, with AA I don’t, so not sure how it works on Air Canada).
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Read the wiki.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:37 pm

I have a flight coming up on Sept 9, AC990. I have put a bid in, but T-40 I still haven’t received any email. What are the chance for me for my bid to be accepted?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by halfcarnitashalfstik
I have a flight coming up on Sept 9, AC990. I have put a bid in, but T-40 I still haven’t received any email. What are the chance for me for my bid to be accepted?
With this being your first post, welcome to FT

Bids typically get processed at T-48. If your bid hasn't been accepted by now, it likely won't be.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With this being your first post, welcome to FT

Bids typically get processed at T-48. If your bid hasn't been accepted by now, it likely won't be.

thank you!
ah… gotcha. Pretty sad about it. I was looking forward to get upgraded
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:36 pm

Bid on upgrade for flights

Hey all, I’ve got an upcoming flight this weekend and am wondering if it’s worth bidding for an upgrade. One leg of the trip is currently in economy and the other in premium economy.
Flight 1: SFO > YUL > MXP (AC758 and AC894)
Doesn’t seem like there are that many seats and not sure if upgrading to business on the AC758 is worth it? Or is it better to wait until check in at the airport to upgrade?
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Bidding on Upgrade YYC to LHR

Hello everyone! I am another newbie and have never posted to any kind of forum ever (hope I’m doing this correctly). I’m flying with my wife to ATH on Oct 7, 2022 (AC850) and looking to upgrade on the LHR leg from YYC as its our honeymoon. I purchased economy seats with aeroplan points. Bid Range is 1100 CAD to 2000CAD per person for a 8hr 40min flight so more than the suggested $100/hr. I assume this is a popular flight?

Looking at possibly upgrading our flight home from ATH to YYZ leg (AC 897) on Oct 16, 2022 and the YYZ to to YYC leg (AC155). I am only an Aeroplan 25K status. What are the chances of upgrading any of these flights with cash and what would a reasonable amount be?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by ryanjmah; Sep 13, 2022 at 3:58 pm Reason: added title
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ryanjmah
Hello everyone! I am another newbie and have never posted to any kind of forum ever (hope I’m doing this correctly).
Welcome

I’m flying with my wife to ATH on Oct 7, 2022 (AC850) and looking to upgrade on the LHR leg from YYC as its our honeymoon.

Congratulations! My wife and I kicked off our honeymoon on the same flight on almost the same day of the year.

I purchased economy seats with aeroplan points. Bid Range is 1100 CAD to 2000CAD per person for a 8hr 40min flight so more than the suggested $100/hr. I assume this is a popular flight?
It's normally a route with a lot of paid business class traffic. The $100 an hour metric is one that a number of people look at because it's a round number, but value is in the eye of the beholder.

How much are you willing to spend, and how much did you originally pay for your Y tickets? There are some decent J fares to Europe on right now, and if you have any flexibility in your plans, you could potentially buy paid business class tickets for $3,500-4,000 round trip per person. I saw KL had one seat available on your dates for ~$3700, although changing to two pax blew it up, but you might find something as simple as shifting a day at one end or the other makes it work.

If you cancel your existing AC ticket and re-book on another airline, you can get a voucher with indefinite life, so the money you gave AC won't be totally wasted.

Looking at possibly upgrading our flight home from ATH to YYZ leg (AC 897) on Oct 16, 2022 and the YYZ to to YYC leg (AC155).
ATH-YYZ-YYC is certainly a long day of travel, but for what it's worth, most people prioritize upgrades on the eastbound legs, since those are the overnight flights when people usually want to sleep.

I am only an Aeroplan 25K status. What are the chances of upgrading any of these flights with cash and what would a reasonable amount be?
Your status doesn't really matter for bid upgrades, the key is what you're willing to pay. What's reasonable is really up to you, although if you'd actually contemplate something on the higher end of the range you quoted for the outbound, I'd strongly recommend just looking at booking paid J instead. But whether you should pay $80 an hour or $100 or $120, or whatever, that's your call.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:21 pm

First time - help me bid successfully

Hi everyone! I am new to Flyer Talk forum and looking for some advice. Travelling AC 890 from YYZ to FCO on Sept 27 and AC 891 from FCO to YYZ on Oct 10.

For AC 890 - I got an option to do Bid Upgrade to Premium Economy ($330-$790) and Business Class ($940-$2000)

For AC 891 - I got an option to do Bid Upgrade to Premium Economy ($285-$740) and Business Class ($860-$1800)

Trying to get an upgrade on both flights but not sure what the availability is on each flight for the different cabins. Hoping to get some help and maybe advice from all you gems. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
AC80 YYZ-TLV - Sept. 15th

Maximum bid was $1,400. Offered $1,100, rejected.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by codfather
AC80 YYZ-TLV - Sept. 15th

Maximum bid was $1,400. Offered $1,100, rejected.
Looking online "Business Class Lowest" is fully refundable which makes me think it's 0 in all but the highest fare classes. The 16th has *no* availability in business.

Has anyone ever had a bid accepted for significantly less than the fare difference? It seems like AC sees this as just another sales channel to sell things at the same prices they have set, not a way to unload inventory that didn't sell at knockdown prices.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have a flight to MUC next week, I’m waitlisted and within the clearance window but the flights both there and back are zeroed out completely. Yet I have an option for instant upgrade for both me and Mrs Viper on both there and back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.