Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
I'm waitlisted for a flight YVR-YUL and am waitlisted for business class, T-7 days, R=0, J=8.

I noticed that it looks like I can also do a bid upgrade as well, with an instant option.

Is there any advantage to do the bid upgrade, while still waitlisted with the e-up request and cancel the big upgrade if unsuccessful?
The advantage of doing a bid upgrade is you might confirm your upgrade in advance. You haven't mentioned your status, but if it goes down to the gate, if you're, say, a 25K on a Flex fare, your odds of clearing the eUp to J probably aren't good. If you're SEMM in PY, the chances would be much better.

If you're successful with the bid upgrade at T-48, you'll be confirmed in J and not hoping to win AeroLotto. But you will have paid cash for the upgrade as opposed to eUps.

No need to cancel your bid upgrade, if you place one and it's not successful. The bid upgrades run at (roughly) T-48, and you'll either be successful or not. Bid upgrades don't go on the waitlist, they either happen or they don't.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC 50K
OK, that makes sense, for the record, I'm 35K on a Comfort Y fare, so my odds don't sound that great.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The advantage of doing a bid upgrade is you might confirm your upgrade in advance. You haven't mentioned your status, but if it goes down to the gate, if you're, say, a 25K on a Flex fare, your odds of clearing the eUp to J probably aren't good. If you're SEMM in PY, the chances would be much better.

If you're successful with the bid upgrade at T-48, you'll be confirmed in J and not hoping to win AeroLotto. But you will have paid cash for the upgrade as opposed to eUps.

No need to cancel your bid upgrade, if you place one and it's not successful. The bid upgrades run at (roughly) T-48, and you'll either be successful or not. Bid upgrades don't go on the waitlist, they either happen or they don't.
Sorry, another question.

I'm currently on a Comfort fare. If I get a successful e-up to PY, and I also place a bid for business and am successful, will the e-credits be returned that I used for PY? I'm 35K is that matters.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:32 pm

I was holding a e-up request and bid upgrade at the same time.

I noticed that when my e-up to PY was cleared that AC automatically cancelled my bid upgrade to Business. Does this mean you can't hold both at the same time?

I went back to the bid upgrade and made another bid, its T-40 now and no notification yet. I thought that notification was given at T-48?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
I noticed that when my e-up to PY was cleared that AC automatically cancelled my bid upgrade to Business. Does this mean you can't hold both at the same time?
The fact you were holding both at the same time belies that question.

What it suggests is that if you clear an eUp into any cabin, your bid up will be cancelled.

I went back to the bid upgrade and made another bid, its T-40 now and no notification yet. I thought that notification was given at T-48?
Please read some of the recent posts in this thread for other similar experiences.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:55 am

Hi,

I am new to Flyer Talk / AC so please bare with me.

Hoping someone might be able to help me with my question.

I put in an upgrade bid a few weeks ago for
DUB - YYZ
Aug 04
AC801

At the time I put in a bid for Ł505 (CAD $775) which was in the 'Even Better' section on the scale. I went today to check (10 days before my flight) to see if I could do instant upgrade and it wasn't available, but on my sisters booking reference it was available for Ł905 (CAD$ 1405) for instant upgrade.
Does this mean that my chances with my original bid are slim, even though it was in the 'Even Better' section?

Many Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by janemm
Hi,

I am new to Flyer Talk / AC so please bare with me.

Hoping someone might be able to help me with my question.

I put in an upgrade bid a few weeks ago for
DUB - YYZ
Aug 04
AC801

At the time I put in a bid for Ł505 (CAD $775) which was in the 'Even Better' section on the scale. I went today to check (10 days before my flight) to see if I could do instant upgrade and it wasn't available, but on my sisters booking reference it was available for Ł905 (CAD$ 1405) for instant upgrade.
Does this mean that my chances with my original bid are slim, even though it was in the 'Even Better' section?

Many Thanks
The reality is, no one except for those inside AC know. This is basically a blind auction, and how AC manages this program and determines who gets an instant upgrade and who doesn't, isn't published anywhere. So any answers would be speculation.

The fact that the site said your bid was 'Even Better' should be taken with a grain of salt. It's highly unlikely that it's taking the # of people who have bid for an upgrade (and the respective amounts) into consideration. There could be 20 people that bid double what you did, or there could be no one else...it's anybody's guess.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:17 am

Thanks, I'll keep my fingers cross but won't hold my breath then!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:44 am

AC Bid Upgrade and Blocked Seats?

Hey @Maanz84! I'm in a similar situation. Flight YUL-ATH on Wednesday and flight currently shows:
J4 C4 D4 Z0 P0 R0 O2 E0 A0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T5 L0 K0 F0

I understand this means there are 4 business class seats available. However, when I go into the seat maps, there are 6 seats marked as "blocked" in business class and none of them are available. Does this mean I have 0 chance at winning the bid upgrade? I bid for 2 people and really hoping to win it to surprise my spouse.

When I look at the facts of your scenario, it showed J4 (4 business class tickets available) but you mentioned there were 11 blocked seats and you still got the upgrade. Please confirm.

Also... when I first put in my bid, I had the option of an "instant upgrade". For some reason, this option is no longer available - is this a sign it is already full? I want to have the time to put a bid in Premium Economy if I have no chance at business class..

Last edited by yasmek; Jul 25, 2022 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:55 am

Adam Smith I'm taking the flight from YUL - ATH on Wednesday and the flight shows J4. However, the seat maps shows all blocked seats in business class, does this mean I have 0 chance at winning my bid? I'm asking as I would put in a bid for premium economy instead which still has 2 seats. I'm hoping to upgrade both myself and my spouse.

Also, if the instant upgrade option is no longer available, does this necessarily mean business class if full? I'm basically bidding the price of the instant upgrade and trying to maximize my chances here, as I don't even see an option to just pay and switch my flight to business (which I would have done at this point to guarantee the spots).

Any advice you may have is greatly appreciated!!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yasmek
Adam Smith I'm taking the flight from YUL - ATH on Wednesday and the flight shows J4. However, the seat maps shows all blocked seats in business class, does this mean I have 0 chance at winning my bid? I'm asking as I would put in a bid for premium economy instead which still has 2 seats. I'm hoping to upgrade both myself and my spouse.

Also, if the instant upgrade option is no longer available, does this necessarily mean business class if full? I'm basically bidding the price of the instant upgrade and trying to maximize my chances here, as I don't even see an option to just pay and switch my flight to business (which I would have done at this point to guarantee the spots).

See post #1297 above.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by yasmek

It's down to J2 now. If you want to fly in Business, assuming you booked with Air Canada, you can call and ask to upfare your ticket to business. It's the only way to guarantee business.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by zappy312
It's down to J2 now. If you want to fly in Business, assuming you booked with Air Canada, you can call and ask to upfare your ticket to business. It's the only way to guarantee business.
UPDATE: my offer got accepted T-55 hours from flight departure time. I guess this means that blocked seats in EF are still available for AC bid upgrades!
aquanine likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:59 pm

The bid upgrade quality meter (good, bad , etc.) isn't based on current bids. It's based on historical data of that route with different mixes of metals and who knows how often the data is refreshed.

If you want to fly J you should buy J because who knows what kind of J seat is left. Always buy outright to guarantee a seat and a decent seat.

Frankly though, AC's pricing is a joke. They're charging the same amount for a 5 hours lie flat J YYZ-YVR that some airlines charge for 15-hr transpacific routes.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by commaspace
The bid upgrade quality meter (good, bad , etc.) isn't based on current bids. It's based on historical data of that route with different mixes of metals and who knows how often the data is refreshed.

If you want to fly J you should buy J because who knows what kind of J seat is left. Always buy outright to guarantee a seat and a decent seat.

Frankly though, AC's pricing is a joke. They're charging the same amount for a 5 hours lie flat J YYZ-YVR that some airlines charge for 15-hr transpacific routes.
eh right now with the crazy summer travel picking up maybe --- but AC's J pricing has been really good this whole year. Lots of crazy sales, sometimes only $100 or $200 more than Flex Y. Bid upgrades have been on sale and it's around $120-$500 for all Canadian flights on the lowish end. That's not too bad. The lowest I've ever seen bid upgrades for 1 hour flights in Canada was $100, and that was almost 10 years ago. so pricing hasn't dramatically increased. I've seen as low as $350 for transcon lie flat J and LMUs can be even cheaper. There's a reason I haven't been booking flex Y much as J is only a few bucks more, and it's going to help me hit SE for the first time in my life

I've seen YVR-YYZ go for $950 R/T in paid J this year. same with YYC-YYZ. Thats an insane deal as I paid over $1k to fly from PHX-YYZ one way in Y recently. I also Doubt you can fly 15 hours transpac J for anything under $2500 ex Canada/US nowadays...

I fly a lot of UA nowadays and lie flat domestic "F" flights are crazy expensive out here. I paid $600 USD one way for mid con, non premium service ORD-LAX recently. My upcoming EWR-LAX wants $1100 to upgrade from Y one way lol
kalderlake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.