Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
For AC304: J7 C7 D6 Z0 P0 R1 O8 E8 N6 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 A0 K5 G1 F0.

For AC125: J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 R3 O9 E9 N9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 A0 K9 G9 F0.

And while I am not a moderator, nor play one on FT, maybe it's time for a gentle reminder that we have a whole dedicated thread for theses kind of things (The Official Fare Bucket Check Request Thread) that might yield a faster turnaround for requestors.

Just sayin'.
Thanks for the fare bucket thread! I had to ask because I'm booked on a points fare in PY for YVR-YUL and Y in YYZ-YVR. The minimum bid for the former is $240 and $465 for the latter. Both i n the 789. If I'm understanding the EF search correctly, seems like the chances are higher in the YYZ-YVR flight as it is J9?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by brankell5566
Thanks for the fare bucket thread! I had to ask because I'm booked on a points fare in PY for YVR-YUL and Y in YYZ-YVR. The minimum bid for the former is $240 and $465 for the latter. Both i n the 789. If I'm understanding the EF search correctly, seems like the chances are higher in the YYZ-YVR flight as it is J9?
Apples and oranges. For one thing, demand isn't necessarily identical on both routes.

304 is now J6 C6 D5 Z0 P0 R1 and 125 is now J7 C4 D3 Z0 P0 R3, which suggests that both have sold paid-J seats without clearing any eUps since yesterday morning, but 125's moving faster.

You've certainly got a shot at either one, but neither is a slam dunk yet. Good luck!
brankell5566 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Apples and oranges. For one thing, demand isn't necessarily identical on both routes.

304 is now J6 C6 D5 Z0 P0 R1 and 125 is now J7 C4 D3 Z0 P0 R3, which suggests that both have sold paid-J seats without clearing any eUps since yesterday morning, but 125's moving faster.

You've certainly got a shot at either one, but neither is a slam dunk yet. Good luck!
I think you're inferring a lot with no evidence.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think you're inferring a lot with no evidence.
...which is why I said "suggests", but if they were still trying to sell ____-priced fares and had to kill seats for nonrev reasons, that would likely reduce the total J number but not necessarily the specific fare buckets.

I am not a lawyer, consult your doctor, all structures in this creative drawing must be evaluated by a qualified and appropriately-licensed structural engineer.

Offer not valid in Quebec.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:23 pm

I don't think it suggests that at all.

If a flight that's J6C5D4Z3P2R1 sells one seat in any class, it's almost guaranteed to go to J5C4D3Z2P1R0.

And 20 hours later, it could be J4C0 or J6R6.

But other than knowing they're willing to sell one fewer seat, it absolutely does not suggest they sold any paid J.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Maanz84
Can someone check EF for me? I put in a bid upgrade from Economy to Business class on AC91 GRU to YYZ on March 19 for the default/“pretty good” amount of $1250 per seat. Wanted to know what our chances are. Thanks!
Data point: Bid upgrade from Econ to Business accepted almost exactly at 48 hours prior to flight departure with 11 seats blocked on EF. Friends I’m travelling with used eUps and their upgrade came earlier than 48 hours - maybe 56 hours.

Prior to their eUP AC showed 13 empty seats in Business. Then after they upgraded EF showed 11 blocked seats, AC showed no available in business. Then our upgrade came and now there are 8 seats blocked on EF.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Data point: Bid upgrade from Econ to Business accepted almost exactly at 48 hours prior to flight departure with 11 seats blocked on EF. Friends I’m travelling with used eUps and their upgrade came earlier than 48 hours - maybe 56 hours.

Prior to their eUP AC showed 13 empty seats in Business. Then after they upgraded EF showed 11 blocked seats, AC showed no available in business. Then our upgrade came and now there are 8 seats blocked on EF.
Aside from EF's sexy seatmaps... what were the actual JCDZPR loads showing when you looked at the seatmaps?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Aside from EF's sexy seatmaps... what were the actual JCDZPR loads showing when you looked at the seatmaps?
When I had someone check this is what they told me (also posted above):

J4 C4 D4 Z0 P0 R0 O6 E6 N3 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 A0 K0 G0 F0

FWIW, there are still 7 seats open in business as of right now. So I’m not entirely sure how accurate EF is TBH. Maybe they’ll go to last minute upgrades?
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
When I had someone check this is what they told me (also posted above):

J4 C4 D4 Z0 P0 R0 O6 E6 N3 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 A0 K0 G0 F0

FWIW, there are still 7 seats open in business as of right now. So I’m not entirely sure how accurate EF is TBH. Maybe they’ll go to last minute upgrades?
The seatmaps only tell which seats have been assigned/selected, and quite often, they do not correlate well with what's actually been sold.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:12 pm

Yeah, with that data, I'd say there's a 99% chance there are 4 seats available, and a 0.000000000% chance there are 7.

Right now, the true loads are J3 O5 Y23.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:28 pm

With T-7 days until my departure, I went on the bid upgrade website again and noticed there's an option now to instantly upgrade my YYZ-YVR (789) flight for $680/pax. Is there any meaning behind this? Apologies if this has been answered before but I haven't used this program before.

Last edited by brankell5566; Mar 21, 2022 at 2:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by brankell5566
With T-7 days until my departure, I went on the bid upgrade website again and noticed there's an option now to instantly upgrade my YYZ-YVR (789) flight for $680/pax. Is there any meaning behind this? Apologies if this has been answered before but I haven't used this program before.
I've asked this very question before. It's an upfare - basically buying the J fare through paying the difference from your existing fare and you get all that comes with the newly purchased fare (eg. lounge and priority if you don't already have it from another source).
brankell5566 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
How early and how high do I have to bid to get a decent chance of an upgrade from PE to J in a long haul sector?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
I received the AC's bid upgrade notification a week prior to my MR flights to/from Honolulu. AC590 HNL - YYZ - Fare class booked: Comfort, PE upgrade Buy it now costs $500 and range for this upgrade is from $310 - $660. The J class upgrade Buy it Now costs $1,050 and the range for this upgrade is from $560 to $1,165.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:55 pm

Bid or wait until check in

Flying on AC854 to LHR on march 30. Flight does not look very booked up yet. Currently booked in premium econ and have submitted a bid for business class at $870 which is just above minimum. There looks to be 14 business class seats available with 6 “blocked” while premium econ is mostly full. Is $870 reasonable or too much? Is there a chance i can upgrade for less at check-in? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.