Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warrens
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Originally Posted by Alexia Christidis
Ive submitted bid upgrade requests but since I haven’t reached elite status get yet seems like my odds aren’t looking too good..
I don't think bid upgrades have anything to do with status. If the price is right and space is available, AC will take your bid regardless of elite status.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by JCFans
I don't think bid upgrades have anything to do with status. If the price is right and space is available, AC will take your bid regardless of elite status.
Your reply triggered a different question. Where do bid upgrades clear from? I did YEG-YYZ last week and my successful bid put me in to R like an eUp would (as per the cowtool). I was keeping an eye on R space with EF and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that R space didn't drop at T-48 when my bid was accepted and I also saw CC say there is no correlation in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33958191-post514.html

Can positive R space be used as an indicator of likely bid success or required bid strength or just positive J space?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Your reply triggered a different question. Where do bid upgrades clear from? I did YEG-YYZ last week and my successful bid put me in to R like an eUp would (as per the cowtool). But I also saw CC say there is no correlation in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33958191-post514.html

I was keeping an eye on R space with EF and I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that R space didn't drop at T-48 when my bid was accepted. Can positive R space be used as an indicator of likely bid success or required bid strength?
They don't need any particular bucket. A $2000 bid on YYZ-YOW might clear if the flight is J1C0D0Z0P0I0R0, but a $20 bid would not.

R space is generally a good indicator of "there's no way in hell we can sell all these seats", which would suggest they'd accept lower bids. But I'd also want to know actual space. J2 R2 is very different from J25 R2.

As an example, I'm currently waitlisted on a flight that's J14 R0. It's a 788, so they've only sold 6 seats. But I bet any reasonable bid upgrade would clear.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They don't need any particular bucket. A $2000 bid on YYZ-YOW might clear if the flight is J1C0D0Z0P0I0R0, but a $20 bid would not.

R space is generally a good indicator of "there's no way in hell we can sell all these seats", which would suggest they'd accept lower bids. But I'd also want to know actual space. J2 R2 is very different from J25 R2.

As an example, I'm currently waitlisted on a flight that's J14 R0. It's a 788, so they've only sold 6 seats. But I bet any reasonable bid upgrade would clear.
Makes sense, The bid deadline at T-48 sounds like the best time to make or adjust your bid based on J & R space as it's after elite waitlists have cleared (modulo current issues) but before gate upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Question on upgrades.

My sister-in-law- no Aeroplan status - in a couple of weeks will be coming back from Brussels to YYZ via YUL on standard fare.

My wife a E50K will come on the same flight - but I have not booked it - it may be upgrade revenue ticket, upgraded Aeroplan rewards ticket, or Aeroplan business class ticket.

What is the cheapest and most reliable way of upgrading her .

I can also make my sister-in-law a SE nominee.

My thoughts- either as a SE nominee upgrade her and pay the $750 upgrade fee, or upgrade her to a flex fare and then upgrade her with no added fee.
I am not sure if i do not make her my SE nominee- what is the way to go?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
.....or Aeroplan business class ticket.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
What is the cheapest and most reliable way of upgrading her .
See first sentence.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by qrctraveller
As I await my upgrade to clear on AC58 next week Friday, I just received a bid upgrade for this flight. For reference, I purchased a Latitude fare. The lowest bid is $1,000 and the highest bid is $2,000. Currently, there are only 4 available j class seats.
What was your bid and did it clear? I'm on this flight next week and contemplating how much to bid....thinking $1050 or $1150
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 *G
I placed a bid for CUN-YYZ (AC B777-300ER) on Feb 19 on my way back to ZRH. Minimum bid was CHF 190 (15% reduction offer, around CAD 265$), I decided to bid CHF 250 (around CAD 345). Fare basis of my ticket is Eco Basic.

T-48h it was J6 R2. Upgrade did not clear. Now it‘s J5 R1.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: aeroplan
AC Bid upgrade success! Original basic economy ticket return bought for $1300 for Feb 24 YYZ to Male, stopover in Doha. Got email for bid upgrade 1wk before departure for YYZ-DOH segment, starting $1000-2000, default bid $1250. I originally bid $1050 x2 but called AC yesterday and told only 5 seats available, so I actually increased my bid to $1150, was about to drop it down then this morning got email that I was upgraded earlier than the stated 48h window! Maybe I should have stuck with my original $1050 bid but got worried when there were so few seats left with econo 80% full and being a busy business/stopover route.

Question for EF aficionados: I've only used the free platform and find the seat availability map to be inaccurate. Yesterday It was showing 8 biz seats available (prompting my just above min bid strategy) because 3 passengers hadn't selected their seats, as confirmed by AC agent. Would the paid version have accounted for this??

Suggestion to posters: would be helpful if you updated your posts on whether your bid was successful to help others on similar flights!
ChadYYC75 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Aly Zh
AC Bid upgrade success! Original basic economy ticket return bought for $1300 for Feb 24 YYZ to Male, stopover in Doha. Got email for bid upgrade 1wk before departure for YYZ-DOH segment, starting $1000-2000, default bid $1250. I originally bid $1050 x2 but called AC yesterday and told only 5 seats available, so I actually increased my bid to $1150, was about to drop it down then this morning got email that I was upgraded earlier than the stated 48h window! Maybe I should have stuck with my original $1050 bid but got worried when there were so few seats left with econo 80% full and being a busy business/stopover route.

Question for EF aficionados: I've only used the free platform and find the seat availability map to be inaccurate. Yesterday It was showing 8 biz seats available (prompting my just above min bid strategy) because 3 passengers hadn't selected their seats, as confirmed by AC agent. Would the paid version have accounted for this??

Suggestion to posters: would be helpful if you updated your posts on whether your bid was successful to help others on similar flights!
I don’t believe the paid version of EF gives you any different results for the seat map. YYZ-DOH is an interesting route though, as apparently 3 rows of J seats are blocked for sale by QR. if you notice, rows 2,5,7 don’t appear at all on EF, and just show blocked on AC.com, so it’s hard to get an accurate idea of actual loads.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:37 pm

Does bid upgrade count towards SQD? Is it a better play to just pay for J class? My concern is i am on a 787 right now back from HNL to YVR and don't want to pay for J that might turn into a Max.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by tbuff
Does bid upgrade count towards SQD? Is it a better play to just pay for J class? My concern is i am on a 787 right now back from HNL to YVR and don't want to pay for J that might turn into a Max.
SQD is not awarded for Bid Upgrades.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
SQD is not awarded for Bid Upgrades.
Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:02 am

I just submitted a bid from economy to PE from YYZ to GRU. The min was $485 and I submitted the "pretty good" default of $580 for me and my husband and there are 10 open in PE right now and maybe 40 or so open in economy. I didn't bother with the connecting flight to EZE since its like 2 hours and I can deal in regular economy for that long. Hoping we get it... I also submitted the upgrade from the return flight for the same price, will the return be proceed with the departure or is it separate?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Maanz84
I just submitted a bid from economy to PE from YYZ to GRU. The min was $485 and I submitted the "pretty good" default of $580 for me and my husband and there are 10 open in PE right now and maybe 40 or so open in economy. I didn't bother with the connecting flight to EZE since its like 2 hours and I can deal in regular economy for that long. Hoping we get it... I also submitted the upgrade from the return flight for the same price, will the return be proceed with the departure or is it separate?
With this being your first post, welcome to FT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.