Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:07 am

For Elite members who go onto Bid Upgrade on their phone, retrieve an itinerary, select a flight, and login to Aeroplan, toggle to points, does it also show you as "Not Enrolled" under Loyalty Level like in the screenshot?

I'm 50K so it's strange it's showing as Not Enrolled... Unless it's just the way it is setup in Plusgrade.

Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: Lufthansa Miles & More - Senator
YUL - YYC on 7.1.2022 booked in L (LX*G status)

The flight was initially supposed to be operated by A220, but it got upgraded to B787-8. I never flew AC widebody business class, so I was tempted to try for cheap

I was given the opportunity to bid for a J upgrade and the minimum bid was C$300. Air Canada had a promotion giving a 25% reduction on the minimum range, which applied to J only. It's interesting that the minimum bid amount for J was lower than for PE

I submitted a bid for C$305 and was succesful! My strategy is generally to bid the smallest amount above the minimum bid (when the range is not too expensive). I knew that the loads were quite poor and that I would have a high chance of snatching it

Excited to try out AC J on the Dreamliner!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:03 am

YVR-SFO, flex K fare. Bids start at 190 each way

But in the booking details, I am able to upgrade the return segment for 95?

Also the option for purchasing the upgrade on the return disappears if I use eUps on the outbound (waitlisted) but comes back if I cancel the eUp WL. I don't understand.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
YVR-SFO, flex K fare. Bids start at 190 each way

[image removed to shrink quote]

But in the booking details, I am able to upgrade the return segment for 95?

[image removed to shrink quote]

Also the option for purchasing the upgrade on the return disappears if I use eUps on the outbound (waitlisted) but comes back if I cancel the eUp WL. I don't understand.
The $95 looks like an upfare, because an actual P fare is only $95 more than you paid.

And it doesn't surprise me that they won't offer an upfare if you have a waitlisted segment, because PNRs are hard.
Adam Smith and vancouver25k like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The $95 looks like an upfare, because an actual P fare is only $95 more than you paid.

And it doesn't surprise me that they won't offer an upfare if you have a waitlisted segment, because PNRs are hard.
If it's an upfare, then I should get the 50% class of service SQM right? Is there a way to verify that it's an upfare?

Although I don't think 400 SQM will make a difference to me this year since I got the 25k carryover from last year (hopefully - still waiting for that like everyone else).
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
If it's an upfare, then I should get the 50% class of service SQM right?
Yes. You would be re-booking in to P class.

Is there a way to verify that it's an upfare?
A phone agent could handle this and confirm it. Online, not sure. You could try clicking through to the next screen and see what additional information it gives you.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes. You would be re-booking in to P class.
A phone agent could handle this and confirm it. Online, not sure. You could try clicking through to the next screen and see what additional information it gives you.
Good thinking! Indeed, clicking through leads to the buy page, which shows Business lowest, and the "Details" popup does say it is P. Thank you Adam Smith and canadiancow !

One interesting note - the upfare still gets the 25% discount that I booked this from the Boxing Day sale.
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 6, 2022 at 12:10 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I lost my "seat" on the waiting list, I cancelled the reward ticket and rebooked the same class in CAD because I need to earn more SQD, SQM. The flight is no longer available to upgrade using credits ( the waiting list is gone). Instead I see I can still bid for an upgrade from PY to J. The minimum is not cheap thogh, $375 pp YYZ-HNL. Does anyone know if the amount would qualify for SQD in case the bid is successful? I realize it is a long shot anyway, J is currently sold out, but you never know.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:02 pm

Hi all , new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I'm currently booked on a flight from YVR to SYD, Jan 30, 2022, AC033, departing YVR 22:30, Premium Economy.

There is an option to upgrade to Signature Class/Business Class with a minimum bid at AUD 1,100 and max bid at AUD 2,105.

The bid gauge is saying:
-an offer between AUD 1,100 and AUD 1,210 = "a bit low"
-an offer between AUD 1,215 and AUD 1,335 = "still modest"
-an offer between AUD 1,340 and AUD 1,470 = "pretty good"
-an offer between AUD 1,475 and AUD 1,815 = "even better"
-an offer between AUD 1,820 and AUD 2,105 = "really good"

Can anyone recommend a good bid offer to place to be successful? Also, how do I check how many empty seats are available in business class right now or can anyone advise? Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by caceco1215
Hi all , new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I'm currently booked on a flight from YVR to SYD, Jan 30, 2022, AC033, departing YVR 22:30, Premium Economy.

....Also, how do I check how many empty seats are available in business class right now or can anyone advise? Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!
@caceco1215
Here is the info from EF (Expert Flyer)

kalderlake likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
For the second question, the flight is J9 O3 Y80. Combined with 24left's R0, I'd bet there are a few people eligible for eUps as well.

In terms of what price would be successful... hard to say.

Bear in mind if you're not successful, you'll almost certainly be given an LMU offer at check-in.
24left likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:37 pm

Thank you for the replies!

Since I'm interested in Business Class, would I look at class code "R" and how would I interpret "R0" to mean?

Would the LMU be the upper range of the bid (i.e. AUD 2,105) or is it usually significantly more?

Thanks again all.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Since I'm interested in Business Class, would I look at class code "R" and how would I interpret "R0" to mean?
J9 O3 R0 means there is business class (J9) and premium economy (O3) for sale but no space for upgrades (R0). As CC said there is likely a number of people of the upgrade waitlist. AC will likely release more upgrade (R) space leading up to the departure date if they feel they can't sell those seats.

Would the LMU be the upper range of the bid (i.e. AUD 2,105) or is it usually significantly more?
It will almost certainly be at the higher end of the bid range or above sometimes it's the difference between your fare and a last minute cash J fare. See Last-Minute Upgrades (LMUs) - information and data points - 2022 onwards including the links in the first post for examples of LMU offers in the past
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:44 pm

I'm currently booked on a flight from YVR to SYD, Jan 30, 2022, AC033, departing YVR 22:30, Premium Economy.

There is an option to upgrade to Signature Class/Business Class with a minimum bid at AUD 1,100 and max bid at AUD 2,105.

The bid gauge is saying:
-an offer between AUD 1,100 and AUD 1,210 = "a bit low"
-an offer between AUD 1,215 and AUD 1,335 = "still modest"
-an offer between AUD 1,340 and AUD 1,470 = "pretty good"
-an offer between AUD 1,475 and AUD 1,815 = "even better"
-an offer between AUD 1,820 and AUD 2,105 = "really good"

Can anyone recommend a good bid offer to place to be successful?
My moto is always bid the lowest.
Of course your odds are "really good" at AUD2000. But those terms are just marketing gimmicks.
There was a story a few years back. Person bid more than minimum, was unsuccessful and the flight went out with empty J seats.
Lots more success stories from those who bid the minimum.
Remember these are blind bids. There's no way of knowing if any other passengers are bidding.
I always assume there are very few if any "competitors" in this process.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
YEG-YYZ on a 321 which was J9 R5 had a minimum bid of $275 accepted at T-48h from Flex L for which I paid $328

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.