Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 3, 22, 3:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: yowcat
Wiki Link
If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?

No.

If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

No.



AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs


https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...pgrade-FAQ.pdf

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada


Print Wikipost

Old Dec 12, 16, 3:51 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SEMM
Posts: 1,379
Originally Posted by WinnipegJet View Post
Pretty frustrating experience today. ... none of the text in the e-mail which was supposed to be a link actually worked -- it's purely text. The e-mail also contains a number of typos, including a full sentence that reads only "For the full terms and conditions of AC Bid Upgrade, please ." There is no link to any terms and conditions and the sentence just ends there.
...
Same experience here - AC IT at its best!!
Geoflying is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 4:17 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Posts: 552
I'd agree that the e-mails go out exactly 10 days prior, as I got an invite for flights on the 22nd. Looks like some of the errors might be cleaned up, as there were no typos in mine, and links functioned properly.

The bid range was $350 to $800 for YYC-YYZ and $95 to $200 for YYZ-YOW, both on the 763. Hard pass on either offer, given there's likely minimal chance that many will bid at those prices, and from prior Xmas experience, there's at least a 30% chance of an op-up as a 50K. Otherwise, bulkhead pair for such short flights is fine with me.
VoodooYYC is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 5:02 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: YWG
Programs: Free Agent
Posts: 1,375
I got a 'good' suggestion at US$249 for YYZ-YWG; on an AE reward booking...
canolakid is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 5:42 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YYC, Canada
Programs: AC 35k
Posts: 1,767
I assume these book as LMUs and don't move your fare class, yeah?

Anyone won a bid on anything where there was a significant savings over a P-fare?
YXUFlyboy is online now  
Old Dec 12, 16, 10:56 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: YGK
Programs: Aeroplan, AAAdvantage
Posts: 57
Okay Folks, I decided to take the plunge and explore this Upgrade Bid deal. And I have a single data point to share.

I booked a YVR-YYZ fare in Tango and, 10 days out, I was offered an upgrade bid option for the YVR-YYZ portion of the flight.

I had a look at recent LMU's for this route and compared these to the bid range in the email. The minimum allowed bid was $400 and I believe the max was around $950.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to take one for the team and make a bid. I bid $405 - $5 more than the minimum and a bid that was ranked as "Poor" according to the "bid-o-meter". I made the bid a few hours shy of the -96 hour cutoff and I made it assuming it would be rejected. However approximately 72 hours prior to the flight I was advised that the bid was successful and I was upgraded to J.

So my total cost for this segment in J was approximately $710.

Well folks, in this beta period for upgrade bids there is at least one instance where the lousy bid gets the upgrade. #TookOneForTheTeam
pjcanoe is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 11:19 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 2,205
Originally Posted by pjcanoe View Post
Okay Folks, I decided to take the plunge and explore this Upgrade Bid deal. And I have a single data point to share.

I booked a YVR-YYZ fare in Tango and, 10 days out, I was offered an upgrade bid option for the YVR-YYZ portion of the flight.

I had a look at recent LMU's for this route and compared these to the bid range in the email. The minimum allowed bid was $400 and I believe the max was around $950.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to take one for the team and make a bid. I bid $405 - $5 more than the minimum and a bid that was ranked as "Poor" according to the "bid-o-meter". I made the bid a few hours shy of the -96 hour cutoff and I made it assuming it would be rejected. However approximately 72 hours prior to the flight I was advised that the bid was successful and I was upgraded to J.

So my total cost for this segment in J was approximately $710.

Well folks, in this beta period for upgrade bids there is at least one instance where the lousy bid gets the upgrade. #TookOneForTheTeam
Was this a wide body or a narrow body? If a wide body, pretty good value given that AC charges a $300 premium for J bookings on transcontinental pod flights.
hydrogen is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 12:49 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: YGK
Programs: Aeroplan, AAAdvantage
Posts: 57
Yup - it's a widebody -777, and I agree, it's a decent value.
pjcanoe is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 6:15 am
  #98  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,791
Originally Posted by pjcanoe View Post
Okay Folks, I decided to take the plunge and explore this Upgrade Bid deal. And I have a single data point to share.

I booked a YVR-YYZ fare in Tango and, 10 days out, I was offered an upgrade bid option for the YVR-YYZ portion of the flight.

I had a look at recent LMU's for this route and compared these to the bid range in the email. The minimum allowed bid was $400 and I believe the max was around $950.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to take one for the team and make a bid. I bid $405 - $5 more than the minimum and a bid that was ranked as "Poor" according to the "bid-o-meter". I made the bid a few hours shy of the -96 hour cutoff and I made it assuming it would be rejected. However approximately 72 hours prior to the flight I was advised that the bid was successful and I was upgraded to J.

So my total cost for this segment in J was approximately $710.

Well folks, in this beta period for upgrade bids there is at least one instance where the lousy bid gets the upgrade. #TookOneForTheTeam
Originally Posted by pjcanoe View Post
Yup - it's a widebody -777, and I agree, it's a decent value.
Well, that's it folks. If you are on the direct flights, you should seriously consider buying Tango and then bid to upgrade. If enough frequent flyers do this AC will then find out just how much the new business model backfires.
YYT82 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 8:01 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,330
It would be interesting to know the R and P space on flights which have bidding, at the various upgrade windows and when bidding starts.
ridefar is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 8:19 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by pjcanoe View Post
Okay Folks, I decided to take the plunge and explore this Upgrade Bid deal. And I have a single data point to share.

I booked a YVR-YYZ fare in Tango and, 10 days out, I was offered an upgrade bid option for the YVR-YYZ portion of the flight.

I had a look at recent LMU's for this route and compared these to the bid range in the email. The minimum allowed bid was $400 and I believe the max was around $950.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to take one for the team and make a bid. I bid $405 - $5 more than the minimum and a bid that was ranked as "Poor" according to the "bid-o-meter". I made the bid a few hours shy of the -96 hour cutoff and I made it assuming it would be rejected. However approximately 72 hours prior to the flight I was advised that the bid was successful and I was upgraded to J.

So my total cost for this segment in J was approximately $710.

Well folks, in this beta period for upgrade bids there is at least one instance where the lousy bid gets the upgrade. #TookOneForTheTeam
Very interesting -- thanks for the update. For what it's worth, I got exactly the same range for YYZ-YVR 10 days out, and my fare was a low-Flex fare. This seems to suggest that the system will not take into account the original fare class when selecting the winners of the auction -- that is, auction will be "Bid vs. Bid" rather than "Total Amount Paid (Original Fare + Bid) vs. Total Amount Paid (Original Fare + Bid)". Interesting.

Or, maybe it doesn't. WHO KNOWS.
WinnipegJet is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 8:21 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,494
Originally Posted by WinnipegJet View Post
Very interesting -- thanks for the update. For what it's worth, I got exactly the same range for YYZ-YVR 10 days out, and my fare was a low-Flex fare. This seems to suggest that the system will not take into account the original fare class when selecting the winners of the auction -- that is, auction will be "Bid vs. Bid" rather than "Total Amount Paid (Original Fare + Bid) vs. Total Amount Paid (Original Fare + Bid)". Interesting.

Or, maybe it doesn't. WHO KNOWS.
I wouldn't be surprised if fare class is just used as a " tie breaker"
quantumofforce is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 8:24 am
  #102  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,851
All this is info is great and stuff, but it would be of great benefit to also post what the availability was like prior to and after one's said winning bid.

For starters, R inventory.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 8:27 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,330
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
All this is info is great and stuff, but it would be of great benefit to also post what the availability was like prior to and after one's said winning bid.

For starters, R inventory.
Great minds think alike?

Look 4 posts up!
ridefar is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 8:32 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 107
In my case:

- Bidding opens T-10
- YYZ-YVR
- Original fare was Low-Flex
- Permitted bidding range was C$425 - C$1300
- At time bidding opens, R=0 and P=0
WinnipegJet is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 8:32 am
  #105  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,851
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Great minds think alike?

Look 4 posts up!
Great minds like mine also skip posts on purpose (to avoid the emergency department when my eyes get stuck rolling to the back of my head), and occasionally miss the odd good post!
yyznomad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread