Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O9 E9 N7 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T6 L4 A2 K1
Not a lot of J seats so I would take the instant upg if available. I doubt the min bid will be accepted.
Alternately, you can bid for PE as there are seats and more likely to be accepted at a much lower value.
Thanks, I will go that route.

Just out of curiosity, what does all the Letter codes mean?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FinnMcGee
Thanks, I will go that route.

Just out of curiosity, what does all the Letter codes mean?
J to P are all business class from highest to lowest price. R is upgrade availability. E and N are premium economy. Y and B are full fare economy and the rest are discount economy
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
J to P are all business class from highest to lowest price. R is upgrade availability. E and N are premium economy. Y and B are full fare economy and the rest are discount economy
Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:26 pm

So I decided to go the instant upgrade route for my flight out Sunday for $700. Select instant upgrade, enter my cc details, never received a confirmation yesterday... check back in today on the status and now it says that status: upgrade unavailable $700.00 CAD per passenger. I thought the whole point of the instant upgrade was you agree to that amount and you get the seat? not sure what, if any, options I have now to upgrade
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FinnMcGee
So I decided to go the instant upgrade route for my flight out Sunday for $700. Select instant upgrade, enter my cc details, never received a confirmation yesterday... check back in today on the status and now it says that status: upgrade unavailable $700.00 CAD per passenger. I thought the whole point of the instant upgrade was you agree to that amount and you get the seat? not sure what, if any, options I have now to upgrade
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...questions.html

Q: How will I know that my Instant Upgrade has been accepted?
A: If you requested an Instant Upgrade, we will notify you by email within a couple of hours of your request as to whether it has been accepted.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...questions.html

Q: How will I know that my Instant Upgrade has been accepted?
A: If you requested an Instant Upgrade, we will notify you by email within a couple of hours of your request as to whether it has been accepted.
Sounds like AC's definition of "Instant" is a bit different than most would expect.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by gcashin
Sounds like AC's definition of "Instant" is a bit different than most would expect.
I know, it's a bit lame, IMHO.
gcashin likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by gcashin
Well, same with AC's definition of "it works".
gcashin and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 24left
Well, same with AC's definition of "it works".
AC will get you somewhat safely from A to B in 99.9% of cases. Maybe 99.99% or higher.

In comfort, the paid for seat or even cabin, on the expected plane type, via booked route or even airline and on time are not guaranteed.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:46 pm

AC Tickets on 016 Stock

Last week I booked my parents an ward ticket from LHR to YYZ on AC in Y with the ticket being issued on 016 stock. The ticket itself lists AC flight numbers (and not UA codeshare flight numbers). As per the FAQ provided in this thread, I should be able to take part in the bid upgrade program to have them hopefully upgraded to J. However, when I enter their AC PNR and last name into the bid upgrade site I'm told the flight does not qualify. Could someone tell me if LHR > YYZ is a route that is eligible for bid upgrade and/or why I couldn't upgrade in the first place? The flight is scheduled to depart on the 25th of January, 2020.

I also booked an érrorPlan reward YZR > YSJ > YXY > YZR with AC and could bid upgrade on J eligible flights no problem. I know the FAQ says accrual would be per the original fare basis (i.e. X which earns 0 PQP on UA) but was curious if anyone ever got lucky with the ticket re-faring into a favourable fare for milage accrual.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Gold
Hi

Booked on PE fare yvr-tpe (N fare) on 17th Nov have a bid (scale indicates a "fair chance") and eupgrade request

Anyone have any experience on which will be given priority

Am I better of to cancel my eupgrade request (currently waitlisted) and let bid run its course (understand confirmation or no go is informed at +/-50 hours before flight) and then eupgrade request T-48 if bid upgrade is refused

I am SE and million miler

TIA
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ilneigetu
Hi

Booked on PE fare yvr-tpe (N fare) on 17th Nov have a bid (scale indicates a "fair chance") and eupgrade request

Anyone have any experience on which will be given priority

Am I better of to cancel my eupgrade request (currently waitlisted) and let bid run its course (understand confirmation or no go is informed at +/-50 hours before flight) and then eupgrade request T-48 if bid upgrade is refused

I am SE and million miler

TIA
AC17 is J3, P1. I think your bid may clear. How much is your fair bid ? My bid cleared at just over $600 if i remember but it was J7.
If you bid is reasonably low, then let it 'win'. If it defaults to eupg, your MM status should win and eupg will clear at the gate.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Gold
thanks
bid 640
any input on a return on the 20th tpe-yvr same situation
should I cancel eupgrade request just to be sure eupgrade not used (27....)
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ilneigetu
thanks
bid 640
any input on a return on the 20th tpe-yvr same situation
should I cancel eupgrade request just to be sure eupgrade not used (27....)
Results from ExpertFlyer.com

Flight Availability Search
Departing TPE on 11/20/19 0:00 for YVR
Flying AC
Direct/Non-Stop Only
Exclude Codeshares

Frequency
Flight Stops Depart Arrive Aircraft Reliability Available Classes
0 Connections
AC 18 0 TPE YVR 789 Su,M,T,W,Sa J3 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O2 E2 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L0 A0 K0
11/20/19 18:00 11/20/19 12:25 87% / 20m
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am looking to bid on AC 17 on Nov 22 (YVR-TPE).

I see P2 on EF, but AC claims that it is actually P0 ... I checked the direct flight AND I checked with my connection from YOW (ie married segment)

I see :
YVR-TPE = P2
YOW-YVR-TPE P0

But AC says both options above are P0.

Anyone else see this discrepancy with EF?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.