Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
E
Originally Posted by ac/elite
It is currently T-9 and I called the concierge to see if she saw a LMU available. She said there is one seat available in business and would see if she could force a LMU. A couple minutes later she said, “well there is one available, are you sitting down? It is $12,900!” Needless to say, I passed. I’ll ask again at the airport.
$5k at J1 no longer surprises me, but taking the $21 million AC IT ones out that’s the worse I’ve seen. I wonder what J2 went for.

Enjoy PY.

Oh and incidentally 004 NRT YVR tomorrow has a J (full J) seat on sale for $7664. It’s J2 I believe based on them selling 2 but not 3 seats.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Quick update as we head to the gate. Concierge was aware we wanted a LMU and was waiting for us at the check-in counter. Great proactive service. We got the upgrade for $1506 Canadian, slightly less than my rejected bid!
flyquiet, Queen B and qrctraveller like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:15 am

Quick update as we head to the gate. Concierge was aware we wanted a LMU and was waiting for us at the check-in counter. Great proactive service. We got the upgrade for $1506 Canadian, slightly less than my rejected bid!
Nice! I took a look at this assuming it was 004 last night saw it J2 reduced to J1 about an hour before take off with a number of people on the upgrade list. All seems very odd but being SE came through here.

Hope it was a good deflate free flight for you both.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It is currently T-9 and I called the concierge to see if she saw a LMU available. She said there is one seat available in business and would see if she could force a LMU. A couple minutes later she said, “well there is one available, are you sitting down? It is $12,900!” Needless to say, I passed. I’ll ask again at the airport.
I didn't know AC had F!

But at the price, is one allowed to complain about their frozen solid fruit?
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jc94
Hope it was a good deflate free flight for you both.
Was a great flight. My seat was actually deflated already at the time I boarded. The SD reset it and the mechanic on board for something else took a look. Fortunately it didn’t deflate again during flight.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Switching FF Plans

If My bid is accepted, can I still switch my FF over from AC to UA when I check in, without losing the by then paid and accepted upgrade.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yul36
If My bid is accepted, can I still switch my FF over from AC to UA when I check in, without losing the by then paid and accepted upgrade.
Paid and accepted upgrade has nothing to do with FF programs so you should be good.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
So 800 comments later, does a $$ bid trump a waitlisted eup?

Originally Posted by vernonc
Paid and accepted upgrade has nothing to do with FF programs so you should be good.
And, does AP status come into play. Would a 35k's $500 bid push a 75k's waitlisted 12 eupgrades into second place? (just asking as I have a vested interest right now...)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Travelling from PEK to YYZ and at T- 16 days, I have been offered an upgrade from Premium Economy lowest (Booking Class E ) as follows: PEK - YYZ: $860 - $1,700, initial prompt from AC is $1050.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
And, does AP status come into play. Would a 35k's $500 bid push a 75k's waitlisted 12 eupgrades into second place? (just asking as I have a vested interest right now...)
Bids are cleared 72-96h out. Given the waitlist isn’t public until t-24 we may never know for sure - but I would be amazed if AC looked at anything beyond “this person will pay us $xxx” and prioritize the option that makes them the most money.

Just like if someone buys a last minute J ticket and reduces the seats available for upgrade. After all we empirically know that AC sometimes rejects bids which will be when they think they can get more from last minute sales, LMUs, or copay eUps.

And sometimes, you end up getting a $1506 LMU after a $1510 bid gets rejected
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Ticket prices are one thing not effected by status. We need lesser buckets, but a given bucket costs what it costs.

I would assumes bid upgrades are a RM activity trying to draw out cash as revenue. And eUps are a status activity out of unsellable things RM has given up on and given away to the loyalty department to strew over the loyal..

Broad strokes.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Bids are cleared 72-96h out. Given the waitlist isn’t public until t-24 we may never know for sure - but I would be amazed if AC looked at anything beyond “this person will pay us $xxx” and prioritize the option that makes them the most money.

Just like if someone buys a last minute J ticket and reduces the seats available for upgrade. After all we empirically know that AC sometimes rejects bids which will be when they think they can get more from last minute sales, LMUs, or copay eUps.

And sometimes, you end up getting a $1506 LMU after a $1510 bid gets rejected
Well, I guess I'll let y'all now when it happens or doesn't....
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Ticket prices are one thing not effected by status. We need lesser buckets, but a given bucket costs what it costs.

I would assumes bid upgrades are a RM activity trying to draw out cash as revenue. And eUps are a status activity out of unsellable things RM has given up on and given away to the loyalty department to strew over the loyal..

Broad strokes.
"strewing over the loyal" - now I'll bet that term has never been seen before here.....!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:08 pm

"strewing over the loyal" - now I'll bet that term has never been seen before here.....!
Well we also use the term enhancements
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They're separate lists.

My recent experience (granted as SE) is that if my upgrade hasn't cleared by T-96, the flight is REALLY full. J4 max. Sure, this only applies to routes/dates/times I've actually booked, but it's been pretty consistent.

If I happen to be waitlisted, and someone bids $5000, I'm sure they'll get it. But that's not because they're ahead of me on the list, it's because the person or system looking at the bids says "this is a good price, let's accept it", without paying any attention to PS/PA waitlists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.