Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Monday night's flight YHZ-LHR was showing all signs of having been oversold in economy at least 2 weeks in advance but was wide open in J. So I received a request to bid and of course ignored it, neither did I put in for an eUp. As I had predicted I, and I think about 3 others, got opUpped at the gate. I think there were about 2 empty J seats on that flight in the end.

Side note - when I went to do OLCI using the iOs app at T-24, under class of service it said "Waitlisted for upgrade" - I had only ever seen this before when on the waitlist for an eUp
What are the rules of thumb you use to determine the likelihood of an op-up? I have an upcoming flight (Dec 26) and based on the AC seat map, 21 of 30 J are open, 13 of 21 PY are open and maybe around 80 Y are open. I would assume this would not be a good candidate due to the number of Y seats open?

If it was, are my chances better as I am booked in PY? I do not have status.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahoogalah
What are the rules of thumb you use to determine the likelihood of an op-up? I have an upcoming flight (Dec 26) and based on the AC seat map, 21 of 30 J are open, 13 of 21 PY are open and maybe around 80 Y are open. I would assume this would not be a good candidate due to the number of Y seats open?

If it was, are my chances better as I am booked in PY? I do not have status.
First of all, never trust the seat map. An empty seat means nothing.

Second, with no status, I'd say your chances are pretty close to zero.

PY always helps, but a UA*S is going to get it before you.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
First of all, never trust the seat map. An empty seat means nothing.
I figured as much but I don't have EF or KVS to check. But I assume if there are few or no Y seats available then op-ups are quite likely?

Second, with no status, I'd say your chances are pretty close to zero.
That is kinda what I thought unless an agent is feeling lazy.

PY always helps, but a UA*S is going to get it before you.
I put in a bid for a paid upgrade, so I will see how that goes.

On another note, similar to the LMU thread, perhaps there should be a thread dedicated to bidding results - I am not sure who makes that decision. I think there are already a couple in this thread.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Out of curiosity, I checked:

YVR-YYZ Jan 11, 2017 AC34
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 O8 E7 N7 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S5 T0 L0 A0 K0 F0
Booked on a Y Flight Pass
Acceptable bid range: $600 to $1500

I think it's fair to speculate that the original fare class doesn't matter for the offer pricing.

Assuming I'd get the same range on a Tango fare, this product still wouldn't make sense for me.

The big buzz kill is that you lose your money and your upgrade if you make a flight change. No thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Out of curiosity, I checked:

YVR-YYZ Jan 11, 2017 AC34
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 O8 E7 N7 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S5 T0 L0 A0 K0 F0
Booked on a Y Flight Pass
Acceptable bid range: $600 to $1500

I think it's fair to speculate that the original fare class doesn't matter for the offer pricing.

Assuming I'd get the same range on a Tango fare, this product still wouldn't make sense for me.

The big buzz kill is that you lose your money and your upgrade if you make a flight change. No thanks.
As I said somewhere up thread, it no longer makes sense to buy Flex for NA itineraries. If you are a SE, buy Tango and then bid for the upgrade. If you don't get it, at least you're still in your preferred seat for free.

AC doesn't want bottom feeders, but they implement systems or introduce products that encourage bottom feeding.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
As I said somewhere up thread, it no longer makes sense to buy Flex for NA itineraries. If you are a SE, buy Tango and then bid for the upgrade. If you don't get it, at least you're still in your preferred seat for free.

AC doesn't want bottom feeders, but they implement systems or introduce products that encourage bottom feeding.
1. I doubt you're going to find a $600 one-way fare difference between Tango and Flex in North America on many routes
2. eUpgrades are processed until the cabin's full. You could lose a bid, sit in Y, and have the plane go out with empty J seats.

$1500+Tango is more than Flex.
$600+Tango might not get you J, and is still probably more than Flex.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
1. I doubt you're going to find a $600 one-way fare difference between Tango and Flex in North America on many routes
2. eUpgrades are processed until the cabin's full. You could lose a bid, sit in Y, and have the plane go out with empty J seats.

$1500+Tango is more than Flex.
$600+Tango might not get you J, and is still probably more than Flex.
Let me clarify - for this strategy to work, you need to be on DIRECT flights AND the flight needs to be an anticipated light load in J. If your itinerary contains a connection (mine often does) then obviously Flex + eUpgrade is still the way to go. The premium routes to do this would be YVR-YYZ, YVR-YUL, SFO-YYZ, or LAX-YYZ especially on the widebodies.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YYT82

Well, that strategy works for about one year. After that, you will lose your status due to flying Tango all the time.

If you are a NA or domestic flyer (mostly) you pretty much need to fly Flex to be SE.

And as to what strategy makes sense--well we will have to wait and see if AC extends the eUp offer beyond Jan. 8th.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I know people have been receiving emails re bidding on their flights.

I just noticed on the main ac.com page a heading:

"AC Bid Upgrade: Bid and you could enjoy an upgrade. Find out if your flight is eligible"

When you click it, it takes you to a new page with this. I had no idea you could check if your flight was eligible.

Attached Images   
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:27 pm

SFO-YYZ, 763, Q fare, ranges $600-$1,300. No taksies.
YYZ-YWG, 320, Q fare, ranges $155-$380. No taksies.
YWG-YUL, CRA, T fare, ranges $150-$400. No taksies.

Looking at these bid ranges, I don't know who is goanna pay these amounts...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
SFO-YYZ, 763, Q fare, ranges $600-$1,300. No taksies.
YYZ-YWG, 320, Q fare, ranges $155-$380. No taksies.
YWG-YUL, CRA, T fare, ranges $150-$400. No taksies.

Looking at these bid ranges, I don't know who is goanna pay these amounts...
I'd pay $150 to upgrade T to R on YWG-YUL, once the Tango eUpgrade promotion ends.

For Q, I'm surprised there wasn't a P fare available for not much more.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by 24left
I know people have been receiving emails re bidding on their flights.

I just noticed on the main ac.com page a heading:

"AC Bid Upgrade: Bid and you could enjoy an upgrade. Find out if your flight is eligible"

When you click it, it takes you to a new page with this. I had no idea you could check if your flight was eligible.
Link to the upgrade site as well, I guess the pilot went well.

Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaysona
Link to the upgrade site as well, I guess the pilot went well.

Yup, that is the link on the AC.com main page I mentioned in my post above and where the screen shots came from.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
I wonder what makes your flight "eligible" - I just had a look for a colleague flying YYZ-LHR-YYZ in mid January (T outbound, K return). Outbound is J9 P9 R4, return is J9 P9 R9 and it says "We are sorry, we have no space available".

bawm

Last edited by bawm; Dec 23, 2016 at 6:58 am Reason: Fixed exact messaging
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bawm
I wonder what makes your flight "eligible" - I just had a look for a colleague flying YYZ-LHR-YYZ in mid January (T outbound, K return). Outbound is J9 P9 R4, return is J9 P9 R9 and it says "sorry, we have no space".

bawm
Oh please take a screen shot and post it here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.