FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: Is this Aeroplan award a good value? St. John's to Nashville for 17000 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1798871-aeroplan-award-good-value-st-johns-nashville-17000-a.html)

Ndtman Oct 27, 2016 11:56 am

Is this Aeroplan award a good value? St. John's to Nashville for 17000

Looking to go on a round trip from yyt ( St. John's, NL to somewhere in the us that have either a NHL or NBA time in Feb). Was looking at Nashville which is 17000 miles on way... Is this a good deal? Or is there other cities with a NBA/NHL that is a better deal traveling too? Looking at less than 20,000 miles on way

cur Oct 27, 2016 12:27 pm

pretty weak, you can get a rt for 25k, but i hear yyt is not a cheap place

what about atl, msy, dfw, mem or mia/fll

nashville is an awesome small sized city though, go if you can..especially if you like music

canadiancow Oct 27, 2016 12:31 pm

Market Fare is never a good value, because it's based entirely on the cost of buying a ticket.

The cost per mile they give you for the redemption is below what someone like myself would pay you for those miles, so I'm sure you could find someone to give you more money for those 17k miles than it would cost for you to just buy the ticket.

YZF_Elite Oct 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 27400804)
Market Fare is never a good value, because it's based entirely on the cost of buying a ticket.

The cost per mile they give you for the redemption is below what someone like myself would pay you for those miles, so I'm sure you could find someone to give you more money for those 17k miles than it would cost for you to just buy the ticket.

For someone living in an easy to travel from city that's usually the case, however if you have restricted travel dates and revenue tickets are prohibitively expensive, then this isn't a bad deal. Flying out of YYT is notoriously difficult to get reward space, especially for more than one person. If you combine this with what can be significantly reduced taxes and fees for market fares, then it may not be a bad deal. It's not a great deal, but I would argue it's not bad either.

YZF_Elite Oct 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ndtman (Post 27400595)
Looking to go on a round trip from yyt ( St. John's, NL to somewhere in the us that have either a NHL or NBA time in Feb). Was looking at Nashville which is 17000 miles on way... Is this a good deal? Or is there other cities with a NBA/NHL that is a better deal traveling too? Looking at less than 20,000 miles on way

As someone who travels to attend professional sports somewhat frequently, also factor in the cost of game tickets. For example, you may find a YYT-BOS/EWR flight for a decent price/reward, but you'll find that the cost of Celtics/Bruins or Knicks/Rangers tickets are astronomical in comparison to say Hornets/Hurricanes or Heat/Panthers tickets.

Ndtman Oct 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to sit down tonight and check. Seen la one way for 12k earlier ! What do you mean somebody buy your miles? I'm new so don't burn me but didn't know people buy miles off other people . How does this work?

Ndtman Oct 27, 2016 1:20 pm

I can see now how expensive Yyt is. New York to la is 12500 one way with 7.50 taxes. Yyt to either of those is same miles but over $150 taxes

grandgourmand Oct 27, 2016 1:25 pm

How much is the ticket? General rule is to try and get a 2% return on your Aeroplan points. Some people aim higher, but 2% is decent value.

So if"
(ticket price - AP fees)/points = 2% or higher, it's worth a redemption.

You shoudl also factor in the schedule.

tcook052 Oct 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ndtman (Post 27400917)
What do you mean somebody buy your miles? I'm new so don't burn me but didn't know people buy miles off other people . How does this work?

It doesn't as there is no buying or selling of miles on FT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

Ndtman Oct 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Ticket is $349 one way or 18000 miles plus $76 charge fees so it would only 1.5 percent

Bartolo Oct 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Keep in mind market fare apparently books you into Tango which limits other benefits you might typically receive.

Ndtman Oct 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Oh yea forgot about the tango thing

Low Roller Oct 27, 2016 3:55 pm

The question comes down to whether you want to blow that many points to save $273 or just buy the cash ticket and save the points for a future trip. Most people here would likely hang onto them since they can likely get better value out of them for a future trip. But, the other way to look at it is that you would be getting a trip to Nashville for $76, so if you don't collect alot of points or travel often, that may be worth it to you.

Ndtman Oct 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller (Post 27401733)
The question comes down to whether you want to blow that many points to save $273 or just buy the cash ticket and save the points for a future trip. Most people here would likely hang onto them since they can likely get better value out of them for a future trip. But, the other way to look at it is that you would be getting a trip to Nashville for $76, so if you don't collect alot of points or travel often, that may be worth it to you.

Yea a bit to think about. I gets around 100 aeroplan miles a year but only travels somewhere once a year. I seen round trip for two to Nashville for 50k on certain dates but almost $300 taxes then lol

canadiancow Oct 27, 2016 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ndtman (Post 27400917)
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to sit down tonight and check. Seen la one way for 12k earlier ! What do you mean somebody buy your miles? I'm new so don't burn me but didn't know people buy miles off other people . How does this work?

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 27401231)
It doesn't as there is no buying or selling of miles on FT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

I apologize. My point was more that at this redemption value, you're wasting miles. Most people on this forum could make far better use of them.

The point is that while you're getting 1.5cpm, I could easily redeem for much higher.

Under 2cpm I buy tickets, period.

Under 4cpm, I usually buy tickets.

It is pretty easy to hit 10cpm with international F, or last minute J on certain North American routes.

Also keep in mind that if you buy the flight, you will earn miles (instead of spending them), which would likely knock the value down to around ~1.4cpm. The cost isn't 17k miles, it's 17k plus whatever you'd earn on the revenue ticket (likely only ~600, but still).