Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Change to Flight Aeroplan Rewards Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Flight Aeroplan Rewards Fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by dafonz
And yes I meant outages. I want to know what they're doing with their damn IT setup and why it's so awful.
The outages are when they are changing tubes on their mainframe computer that predates Trudeau (the first one).
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by yvr76

I wonder how much input AC has on this since it effectively makes their frequent flyer program less attractive - assuming they don't get any of this new revenue, and only Aeroplan does.
Don't know "how much" but even though AC and Aeroplan are separate companies they still have very tightly coupled commercial agreements with each other covering minimum reward seats bought by Aeroplan, miles bought by AC, marketing and FF (Altitude) managed by Aeroplan, access to AC's ticketing system by Aeroplan. However, Aeroplan's financial reports reveal that AC can change how many Aeroplan points they award for flights without consent of Aeroplan.

Next option for either party to break the AC-Aeroplan marriage is June 29, 2020.

It would seem that Aeroplan cares far more about what AC does to dissuade the incentive to collect more Aeroplan miles than the reverse.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:20 am

guess it's official now, it's on the website

https://www3.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...ortCookie=true
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:48 am

Ouch...
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
The announcement alludes to changes to the online tool? Does anyone know whether the online tool is being changed (it could only be improved as it is now archaic). Because the online tool isn't useful to AEs customers, it requires more operators. We pay for those added costs. Thinking about it, AE and Medicare share a lot in common. Only in Canada you say? Pity!

I haven't directly paid for an AE point in years focusing my CC buy on cash rather than points. All that everyone is writing about AE is true but it has been this way for years. AE is a bit like a Ponzi scheme. It requires a lot of uninformed new customers to keep it going. Some people do make out with a positive benefit (subclasses of FFers) but I think that most people pay way too much before they wake up to the game that AE plays.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belky15
The announcement alludes to changes to the online tool? Does anyone know whether the online tool is being changed (it could only be improved as it is now archaic). Because the online tool isn't useful to AEs customers, it requires more operators. We pay for those added costs. Thinking about it, AE and Medicare share a lot in common. Only in Canada you say? Pity!
Looks like they have already changed the online tool actually.

(I could not try it since I do not currently have any reward booked.)
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:34 pm

FT would be wise to pair diminishing value of AP threads with the threads pumping unheard of signup/renewal AP bonuses.

FFP are drug dealers. They continually attract new customers w free samples but have to dilute the drugs to keep up with the demand. The experienced users start to notice the highs aren't what they used to be and look for a new drug ... But need to realize there are other users who will take their place, and the other drug dealers are doing the same thing
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Just like, I stopped collecting air miles something like 13 years ago. smoke and mirrors really.
I'm currently pushing a lot of spend through an Air Miles sponsor that is netting me 25% return ... 4% from the credit card, 21% from Air Miles I'm earning

Not smoke and mirrors for all I guess

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Oct 15, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
....FFP are drug dealers. They continually attract new customers w free samples but have to dilute the drugs to keep up with the demand. The experienced users start to notice the highs aren't what they used to be and look for a new drug ... But need to realize there are other users who will take their place, and the other drug dealers are doing the same thing
Fantastic analogy. ^

And lol

Last edited by 24left; Oct 15, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:48 pm
F 1

The recent online survey I took for AP was focused mostly on learning what kind of status or perks would motivate customers to want to earn more points, as well as finding out the awareness level of each individual status benefit.

On important issues like fees and customer service (the questions I was really hoping to answer), AP doesn't really seem to give two hoots. At least judging by this one survey, of which they are paying a lot of money to a 3rd part research company to execute.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Thought you might enjoy this blog post from The Points Guy

"Aeroplan Increasing Award Change & Cancellation Fees for Most Members"

October 17, 2016

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/aero...ellation-fees/

He credits another blog post (Canadian), so I read that one too.

Loved the last line: Time to bring back errorplan?

“Enhancement” – Aeroplan Change/Refund Fees (hint: it sucks)
by DCTA on October 14, 2016

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2016/10...es-hint-sucks/

Another line from this post:

"(note that it’s common for the cancel button to be broken online)."
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by 24left
"(note that it’s common for the cancel button to be broken online)."
The last time I was on the phone with Aeroplan, I was able to confirm that the cancel / change / flight details button never works when there's been a flight change that has yet to clear through the queue.

I'm not saying that's the only circumstance under which it's broken. It's just that the AE phone agent suggested that this was a well known issue that wasn't even on the list of things to be fixed at this point, i.e. it's been that way for so long that it's become a feature, not a bug.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Just a reminder to everyone that these new Aeroplan Flight Reward fees come into effect today, December 6.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just changed a SFO-YYZ to SFO-YYZ (stop) YYZ-YVR (stop) YVR-SFO for what was quoted as $75.

Sure enough, when the agent got to the final screen, it wanted $90.

She put me on hold, talked to ticketing, and I was charged $75.

Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
That $150 change fee per direction hurts! especially for short haul redemptions

They should offer a discount on the $150 fee if an Aeroplan member cancels an award online, even without Aeroplan Diamond status. They ought to pass on the savings from the prevented phone call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.