Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan availability patterns based on time of the day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I was looking for a particular itinerary (one way SFO-YYZ, a little over a week out) last night, and there were absolutely no direct flights available for Classic Rewards. Looked into +-2 days, still nothing.

Today around 7 am I check it again, and there is not 1, but 3 of AC's direct flights available for my desired date. I snapped it up, and they are still there. Did I just get very lucky or is their dynamic availability algorithm releasing seats in the morning?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I'd like to know their dynamic availability algorithm, or dynamic IT chaos theorem.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
There is definitely dynamic availability releases. The question is whether there is a time of day that some of these algorithms run and release/withdraw seats!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I have found that flights change during the day. Last July just as an example i wanted YQF-YYC-YVR-EWR but AP kept giving me YQF-YYC-YYZ-EWR! I tried and tried and then one early morning I got the route i wanted. I went back in the afternoon and it was back to the other route.

Some will say its supply & demand, I say its AC filling the cheapest and ugliest routes first! I have no definitive proof of this, but this is what i choose to believe, just like i believe unicorns exist but Bigfoot does not!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I was able to get 3 J seats YYZ-YVR on a widebody this weekend yesterday. There is definitely dynamic releasing going on!

There are also 2 seats YVR-NRT open Monday that were not there the other day... and no YQ on NRT
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
There is definitely dynamic availability releases. The question is whether there is a time of day that some of these algorithms run and release/withdraw seats!
There is a time of day

I'm not even sure I'd use the word "dynamic" though. It's a batch process.

When a flight is Y9 B8 M7 U6 etc. and you buy a seat, loads are decremented immediately.

But if a flight is J2 I0 and someone cancels 8 J fares, it will go to J9 right away, but I'm pretty sure I space won't be touched until the next batch run.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond, Fairmont Premier, Amex Platinum, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There is a time of day

When a flight is Y9 B8 M7 U6 etc. and you buy a seat, loads are decremented immediately.

But if a flight is J2 I0 and someone cancels 8 J fares, it will go to J9 right away, but I'm pretty sure I space won't be touched until the next batch run.
Is that time of the day 3 AM ?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There is a time of day

Yup, and same thing applies for award seats.

Inventory is released in batches, through the filing of fares, opening up award space, etc.

But the current inventory is dynamic: you cancel K6, K6 goes back. etc

Award space is supposed to go back right away, but it's more complicated because it is also open to partner airlines, and those might have to wait to be 'given' back under a batch process as well
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InstantElite
Is that time of the day 3 AM ?
Based on my obsessive checking last night and this morning, it is somewhere between 2 am and 7 am. I think you're very close
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by martzipan
Based on my obsessive checking last night and this morning, it is somewhere between 2 am and 7 am. I think you're very close
Wait, Aeroplan was working last night between 2-7am?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by 24left
Perhaps a different time zone for him/her, 24L. Or maybe a different time zone from that other time zone you live in.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by martzipan
In other words, it's up to the janitorial staff to refresh inventory and availability.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Marlin240
Perhaps a different time zone for him/her, 24L. Or maybe a different time zone from that other time zone you live in.
I live in 2 different time zones, so Aeroplan is clearly avoiding being functional when I'm awake in either of them.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
I live in 2 different time zones, so Aeroplan is clearly avoiding being functional when I'm awake in either of them.
Well, you can hardly blame Aeroplan for that, can you? Geez, it's all regularly scheduled maintenance after all.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I suppose that might be why I got no availability late last night... It's all a blur.

Originally Posted by SFO777
In other words, it's up to the janitorial staff to refresh inventory and availability.
That sounds reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.