Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking Rouge with MP. Can I buy Rouge plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite

I'm looking at using some orphan MP (Mileage Plus-UA) to book an award from YUL to ATH next summer, which is available direct with Rouge.

If I do the booking using MP, can I call AC and pay the 100$ for the Rouge+ seats? ?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I have never known AC to offer upgrading a X --> J booking for $100. And actually, to the best of my knowledge, they don't allow upgrading an X booking at all except for $ in the form of an LMU at T-24.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
One can use AC elite eups to go from X to C>J or Y+ or Rouge equivilents but only at the gate and with a copay based on distance., though just from AE awards not MP or other STAR issued ones. (Also from Tango.) At the moment, UA/MP can't book Rouge space so don't believe there is an option to do so other than if offered at OLCI. Though not appropriate to OP's specifics, if a domestic/transborder award on a place with Y+ seats, one should be able to purchase an advance seat booking by calling AC.

I suppose OP wants to use MP miles to avoid AC's surcharges since these are not applied to MP award tickets on AC/Rouge flights.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I dont think OP is talking about upgrading to 'Premium Rouge' (ie Business Class).

I believe OP is referring to 'Rouge Plus' which is only Rouge version of the Priority Seats.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to the question whether the OP can buy the Rouge Plus seats, but I don't see why he wouldn't be able to??.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Plumber
I dont think OP is talking about upgrading to 'Premium Rouge' (ie Business Class).

I believe OP is referring to 'Rouge Plus' which is only Rouge version of the Priority Seats.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to the question whether the OP can buy the Rouge Plus seats, but I don't see why he wouldn't be able to??.
Yes, I think you're correct as far as what OP is referring to.

I believe AC is only able to sell you preferred seats in advance if you're on AC 014 ticket stock. If it's on UA ticket stock, I believe they can only be purchased within 24 hours at OLCI or the airport if there are preferred seats still left.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
once the res sticks and you can see it in manage my bookings, could you not go in and select a seat or change one. If it's a plus seat it should give you the option to pay for it?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yul36
once the res sticks and you can see it in manage my bookings, could you not go in and select a seat or change one. If it's a plus seat it should give you the option to pay for it?
I think you're overestimating AC IT's capability for flights on other airlines ticket stock.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
If you purchase a ticket from UA, and the flight's operated by AC or Rouge (ie UA ticket stock, operated on AC metal) you can't pay for anything in advance of check-in. That means you can't buy up to Preferred seating.

I assume it would be the same with a MP award ticket. It's the same situation, just a different "currency" being used to buy the ticket through UA.

According to one of the many AC employees I spoke with about this (after buying a ticket through UA that included a segment on the awful, awful, awful Rouge A319), Air Canada would love to upsell to more people and bring in their money, but they have no way of accounting for any of that upsell $$ unless it can be tagged to a 014 (AC) ticket stock ticket. It's an internal accounting and IT issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.