FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Meals for International Economy Class Customers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1795317-air-canada-meals-international-economy-class-customers.html)

24left Oct 7, 2016 7:33 pm

Air Canada Meals for International Economy Class Customers

We have meals threads for International Business Class, International Premium Economy, and North American Business Class. There is also the thread for Special Meals.

There are often questions posted on AC FT about meals served in Economy on International Routes.

There are certainly many FTers who fly economy, so I am hoping some of you will take a photo of the meals offered and post in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

NOTE: This thread should include meals on mainline AC and rouge.

24left Oct 7, 2016 7:36 pm

1 Attachment(s)
AC 15 YYZ-HKG September 2016

I asked the Y pax permission to take the photo. I believe the main course was pork with vegetables. She had been sleeping and the crew had kept the meal ready for her daughter.

I would have liked a photo without the covers, but I didn't want to ask.

(Chocolate cake looked yum)

Jasper2009 Oct 7, 2016 8:01 pm

In the rare event that I'm stuck in Y, I eat at the airport and my on-board meal usually consists of a few double G&Ts.:p

flyquiet Oct 7, 2016 8:09 pm

That salad with the corn looks disgusting, but it is often the best thing on the tray.
The cake is okay. I think it's like the Rouge tiramisu cake, IIRC, or the chocolate pear cake.

Jumper Jack Oct 7, 2016 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 27318023)
AC 15 YYZ-HKG September 2016

I asked the Y pax permission to take the photo. I believe the main course was pork with vegetables. She had been sleeping and the crew had kept the meal ready for her daughter.

I would have liked a photo without the covers, but I didn't ant to ask.

(Chocolate cake looked yum)

Looks yum but def do not taste "yum" :D

segacs Oct 7, 2016 8:15 pm

"The shiny stuff is tomatoes
The salad lies in a group
The curly stuff is potatoes
The stuff that moves is soup

Anything that is white is sweet
Anything that is brown is meat
Anything that is grey, don't eat!
...But what do we do, we fly?

Seriously, that photo looks like most of the meals I get on most long-haul Y flights. Usually there's something edible on the tray (the bread ain't bad and the desserts can be pretty good), though I generally pack snacks, too.

24left Oct 7, 2016 8:25 pm

Again, apologies for the photo, but it was not my meal and I really did not want to interrupt them any further.

Since Y meals have been mentioned on FT for routes like DXB, DEL, and destinations in Europe, I thought this thread would help.

I would appreciate it if any and all can take the time and post here - photos or meal descriptions.

donnyk Oct 7, 2016 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 27318105)
That salad with the corn looks disgusting, but it is often the best thing on the tray.
The cake is okay. I think it's like the Rouge tiramisu cake, IIRC, or the chocolate pear cake.

The salad isn't bad, its like a coleslaw with corn.

Cake is just crappy cake, nothing special, same as the $1 betty crocker cake box you buy and make from the super market.

The chicken and potatoes when i last had them were edible, i don't expect much from airplane food so I am never disappointed, lol :)

Jumper Jack Oct 7, 2016 9:23 pm

I actually like the salad lol.

eigenvector Oct 7, 2016 9:44 pm

The main meals in Y aren't that bad (in terms of being edible and reasonably portioned), but one full meal, one semi-meal plus a "snack" (soggy plastic wrapped sandwich or infamous banana bread) is NOT an adequate amount of food for a 12-15 hour flight.

AC's catering for long TATL (YVR-LHR) and TPAC is not up to par with other mainline international airlines, or even discount carriers like Edelweiss or Condor. I wonder if there is a lack of storage space for Y meals on routes like DEL, DXB, BNE due to having a very dense long-haul Y configuration (and relatively small J cabins on the 787)? I don't know any other airline that has such high numbers of Y seats on its long-haul 787s.

NH, for example, has fully 100 less Y seats on its long-haul 787-9 compared to AC, owing to both more pitch and a larger J cabin. PR, which doesn't have a PY cabin, nonetheless has 70 less Y seats on its 777-300ER compared to AC. Is this why these airlines can provide more hot food on their long-haul flights? NH serves as much food on transcon-length intra-Asia flights as AC does on YVR-LHR.

quantumofforce Oct 8, 2016 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27318081)
In the rare event that I'm stuck in Y, I eat at the airport and my on-board meal usually consists of a few double G&Ts.:p

Are you me?:confused:

smallmj Oct 8, 2016 3:51 am

My Y class TATL meals in August were edible but forgettable. I actually don't remember what the main courses were. My 9 year old son only ate bits of bread and considered the rest just terrible. At least I got to eat his muffin for breakfast instead of the banana bread. It was about the same as you'd get at the Superstore. The afternoon snack was some sort of cheese burrito thing that might have had chicken, I don't really remember. Sorry, that I didn't take any pictures.

kwflyer Oct 8, 2016 3:14 pm

I like the ac logo on the chocolate cake.

flyquiet Oct 8, 2016 10:54 pm

I assume you're joshing but, if you are always up front, you might not know that the logo is just on the plastic lid.

Stranger Oct 8, 2016 11:09 pm

Wow, have they not unbundled the meals yet?

Surely it must be coming. By popular demand, I am sure....