Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada & rouge New Routes - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada & rouge New Routes - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
YVR-LAX/SFO were derouged because they lost the YVR rouge 319 base. No other reason.

The rouge/mainline narrow-body J product is virtually identical.
I'll take your word for it on the first part. On the second part I wouldn't totally agree, I would say the narrowbody mainline J is akin to the 767 "premium economy" Rouge offering. The narrowbody rouge is more like a Euro-J imo.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'll take your word for it on the first part. On the second part I wouldn't totally agree, I would say the narrowbody mainline J is akin to the 767 "premium economy" Rouge offering. The narrowbody rouge is more like a Euro-J imo.
You do know that they got rid of the crappy Euro-J seating and replaced them with the same J seats that are in mainline, don't you? The only real difference between rouge and mainline is IFE. And if you're flying a PLH route, you won't get PLH meal service. But otherwise it's pretty much the same.
canadiancow and yyztozag like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If one were coming from a place without direct flights to LAX, I can see how doing, say, YOW-YVR-SNA would be beneficial vs YOW-YVR/YYZ/YUL/YYC-LAX.

I find myself in Newport Beach from time to time and it can certainly be a bit of a schlep to LAX in the afternoon. How much better is SNA, and is it better as an airport (i.e. less of a cluster with traffic etc)? Because while it would be nice to eliminate the hassle of LAX, I feel like adding a connection at YVR vs flying direct LAX-YYC might not be a win. (This is a genuine question, would love to get your thoughts; I've never used SNA before)
If your destination is OC area, SNA is much, much better. Aside from avoiding the drive to/from LAX, it is a much smaller airport and easier to navigate. You can also get in and out of the airport, which at LAX can be a 30 min+ experience each way. Also, car hire is right at the terminal.

Because of the neighbours concerns of noise and flight paths, flights leaving SNA often have to spool up the engines with the brakes on and then you basically just shoot down the runway. It’s fun.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 4, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm not sure why this is a mainline flight. If they de-rouged LAX because of the hue and cry from the J travellers, this route SCREAMS Rouge to me. Westjet has flown this route for years. It's all Disneyland families. Could it be used for business travel? Sure. But I would think for the most part it's leisure travellers.

BUR is great. SNA is pretty solid too. I don't know the area well enough to say "if you're in Newport you should use XYZ" but I've used all the commercial airports in the area I can think of, minus LGB. BUR is awesome for getting in and out quickly, though being north of town, I can see not wanting to use it for certain areas. Same as SNA, south of town, but it's a bit bigger. There's a crummy little UA club, the terminal is easy to navigate and has TSA Pre, not a lot else to mention. If I lived in the LA area I wouldn't be flying like SNA-SFO-LHR to avoid just flying LAX-LHR. If you're talking about having an option for a quick jump up to YVR, my guess would have to be that SNA has cheaper parking and it's definitely quicker to get in and out, but not as quick as Burbank. It's a good option, but nothing to get incredibly excited over.
OC is home to a lot of $$$ and a lot of business, its hardly just disney. The UA club is just fine. If you're going to the OC area, you avoid 45min to 1.5 hours of traffic on the 405, a 30+ minute cluster for rental cars, etc. We do YYZ-SFO-SNA often. Whether its worth the connection or not is debatable, I tend to think it is, but I can definitely see the other way. Of course a non stop to SNA would be very preferable. You can be on your way in a rental car 10 minutes after they open the door to the aircraft, to me that's huge.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
You do know that they got rid of the crappy Euro-J seating and replaced them with the same J seats that are in mainline, don't you? The only real difference between rouge and mainline is IFE. And if you're flying a PLH route, you won't get PLH meal service. But otherwise it's pretty much the same.
Nope, I didn't know that, last time I flew Rouge was 767 and last time I flew the Rouge narrowbody was an SFO-YVR route back in the day. Learn something new every day. We don't have much Rouge in Vancouver and I don't really frequent the Rouge-ish destinations so I don't have a lot of occasion to fly the product.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:30 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Also a fan of this announcement.

Like Adam, I need to get down to Newport Beach on occasion and this will remove one connection and/or stressful drive for me. And I quite like the food at Javi's when I'm waiting to return home.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
If one were coming from a place without direct flights to LAX, I can see how doing, say, YOW-YVR-SNA would be beneficial vs YOW-YVR/YYZ/YUL/YYC-LAX.

I find myself in Newport Beach from time to time and it can certainly be a bit of a schlep to LAX in the afternoon. How much better is SNA, and is it better as an airport (i.e. less of a cluster with traffic etc)? Because while it would be nice to eliminate the hassle of LAX, I feel like adding a connection at YVR vs flying direct LAX-YYC might not be a win. (This is a genuine question, would love to get your thoughts; I've never used SNA before)
SNA is great. The typical small airport where you can get in and our with a minimum of hassles, and even better a minimum of traffic to the Anaheim area. Depending on what time you arrive at LAX, heading to SNA might easily save you the time you'd lose connecting in YVR and then time.

I usually end up in Anaheim about once a year for a conference. Being in YOW if course I have to connect anyway. Options are:
  • YOW - YYZ - LAX. Then taking the LAXit shuttle to the rideshare area, followed by a very long Uber ride through inevitable traffic to Anaheim. At best you are 2h from landing to hotel.
  • YOW - ORD - SNA. But IIRC (I did it once) the connection in ORD is tight and YOW - ORD flights are not super reliable.
  • When I saw the YVR - SNA option I thought it looked good, but thinking about it now you can't time the connection for the 9am departure from the east coast. So maybe I am back to YOW-YYZ-LAX next time I am out there.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Crazy that AC still flies scheduled flights to PVR.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by sram
Crazy that AC still flies scheduled flights to PVR.
Likely a rescue/repatriation flight to bring Canadians back home.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Likely a rescue/repatriation flight to bring Canadians back home.
it’s does not appear to be a rescue flight, it’s a schedule .. I think 5x a week downgaged to a320 from 767; AC974/AC975
Fiordland likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Since the tweet mentions the words "Decreased demand / capacity"......

3:24 PM · Apr 25, 2020

Source tweet:

Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I am genuinely concerned that YYT-YYZ-YYT will become a Rouge route sooner rather than later...

We constantly get Rouged, which leads me to believe that mainline will be quickly replaced with Rouge once the COVID-19 pandemic is over.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:30 pm

AC introduces YUL-BOG starting Jan 16. Will be on B787.

MONTREAL — Starting Jan. 16 Air Canada will operate a new weekly flight from Montreal to Bogota.

The new B787 route is in addition to Air Canada’s existing year-round flights from Toronto to Bogota.

ProColombia, the government entity in charge of promoting tourism to the country, says Colombia is set to continue supporting this market’s growth throughout the recovery process. Canada has been Identified as a key market for the Colombian capital.

ProColombia notes that both Air Canada and El Dorado International Airport, Bogotá have introduced extensive and comprehensive measures to ensure that visitors feel safe and confident when travelling.

Bogota’s El Dorado International Airport is just one of three airports worldwide to be awarded the highest rating in biosafety issues, receiving five stars from the British firm Skytrax’s audit, which evaluated the measures taken by airports to combat the spread of coronavirus. Meanwhile Air Canada’s CleanCare+ program has been in place since May 2020.
Air Canada’s new Montreal-Bogota service starts Jan. 16 - Travelweek
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mileageking
AC introduces YUL-BOG starting Jan 16. Will be on B787.

Air Canada’s new Montreal-Bogota service starts Jan. 16 - Travelweek
I wasn't surprised when they announced this in September 2019, but I'm shocked that, with everything that has been cut due to COVID, they finally launched it now.

I know there's a lot of cargo out of BOG, but I would have thought that with the cargo-only flights and the YYZ pax right that's also surprisingly still running, they would have had it covered.

YYC3722, any thoughts on this one?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:41 pm

Not sure if this the appropriate thread for this but I saw on another forum that AC has quietly loaded 2 new routes:

YUL-DEL 3x weekly starting in April
YUL-CAI 3x weekly starting in June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.