Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:28 am
  #586  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,000
F/A requirements from the old days.

“I had to sign a contract as a new hire that I would quit after 10 years, or that I would quit at 32 years old, whichever came first. Can you believe that?” the Toronto resident recalled.


https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/the-flig...-won-1.2015789
tracon is offline  
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:49 am
  #587  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,000
Long since forgotten about this route.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240122-wsmay24icn

During Northern summer 1997 season between 17JUN97 and 31AUG97 (Canada departure), Air Canada operated Calgary – Seoul service once weekly with Airbus A340-300 aircraft.

AC899 YYC1550 – 1800+1SEL 343 2
AC898 SEL1900 – 1400YYC 343 2
tracon is offline  
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:18 pm
  #588  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: TK *G
Posts: 3,099
Originally Posted by tracon
Long since forgotten about this route.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240122-wsmay24icn

During Northern summer 1997 season between 17JUN97 and 31AUG97 (Canada departure), Air Canada operated Calgary – Seoul service once weekly with Airbus A340-300 aircraft.

AC899 YYC1550 – 1800+1SEL 343 2
AC898 SEL1900 – 1400YYC 343 2
Took me a few seconds to realize that SEL is now GMP, the main airport in Seoul before ICN opened.

The "2" after aircraft type means the flight only operated on Tuesday I suppose? If so it's interlined with another SEL flight?
yyznomad likes this.
songsc is offline  
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:53 pm
  #589  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,000
Originally Posted by songsc
Took me a few seconds to realize that SEL is now GMP, the main airport in Seoul before ICN opened.

The "2" after aircraft type means the flight only operated on Tuesday I suppose? If so it's interlined with another SEL flight?
2 is for Tuesday.
The plane would have flown most likely from YVR on Monday, Tuesday to/from YYC, Wednesday back to YVR.
No service to YVR on Tuesday.
Adam Smith and songsc like this.
tracon is offline  
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:20 pm
  #590  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: TK *G
Posts: 3,099
Originally Posted by tracon
2 is for Tuesday.
The plane would have flown most likely from YVR on Monday, Tuesday to/from YYC, Wednesday back to YVR.
No service to YVR on Tuesday.

I recall there were quite a few interesting interlinings at out stations back then. When AC29/30 used B77Ws in peak season, it's interlined with AC31/32.

Most of the TPAC flights out of YVR were operated by B763s but there were some A343s and B77Ws mixed in. The A345s appeared all over the place once AC got B77Ls.
songsc is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2024, 10:17 am
  #591  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Posts: 35,255
Originally Posted by billdokes
A sad, sad day for sure...RIP Canadian Airlines!
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Quite sad. My monthly column in Canadiann Airlines inflight magazine was killed by the merger.

Not only that, but they were my goto airline for 91 to the date of the merger, and that had HEAVY flying. I'd be 3 million miles if they counted (currently at 1.9 on AC)
It was really nice having Kelvin around at LHR post-merger.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2024, 3:34 pm
  #592  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 6,217
Spotted in YWG:




Dunno the era, but I think they used to be called flight bags. I seem to recall a Wardair version lurking under my parents basement stairs.
yyznomad likes this.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:33 pm
  #593  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,507
..in YWG. Sorry about the bad luck!
Bravada04 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:16 am
  #594  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,708
Originally Posted by YYJflyerr
Thank you very much! Where did you find this? I looked everywhere for flight schedules but found nothing.
the old OAG timetable….. used to collect those books at airports
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:49 pm
  #595  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: YXU, ON Canada
Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Posts: 4,665
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It was really nice having Kelvin around at LHR post-merger.
Kelvin was my favourite part of flying through LHR.
yyznomad likes this.
Academic is offline  
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:50 pm
  #596  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,000
With the passing of Mulroney today, if I read the article correctly,
it was his government that made the first 45% of AC public.

2000 employees/plane back then.
About 1500/plane now.


And of course there was the A320 issue.
tracon is offline  
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:20 pm
  #597  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sun Peaks, Taupo.
Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 6,127
I well remember CP DC 10 flights YVR-HNL-NAN-AKL
Knew two Captains pretty well, John Sparks and Mack MaCaskill so got to ride jump a few times for takeoffs and landings.

The AC 340 flight YVR-HNL-SYD always left me wondering if the plane would get airborne.
Seemed so underpowered
taupo is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:27 am
  #598  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 1,548
Originally Posted by taupo
I well remember CP DC 10 flights YVR-HNL-NAN-AKL
Knew two Captains pretty well, John Sparks and Mack MaCaskill so got to ride jump a few times for takeoffs and landings.

The AC 340 flight YVR-HNL-SYD always left me wondering if the plane would get airborne.
Seemed so underpowered
YVR-HKG was the same, It felt like the A340 barely cleared the fence at the end of the runway.
taupo likes this.
172pilot is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:09 am
  #599  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,993
I swear the A340s relied on the curvature of the earth to get airborne.
taupo and billdokes like this.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:30 am
  #600  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YOW
Posts: 215
Almost Thursday, found this gem on my phone taken 8 years ago today.


yyznomad likes this.
Leyland1989 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.