Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Old Jul 1, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by The Lev
To the best of my recollection, I have flown on the following with Air Canada mainline and regional:
A220
A319 (including Jetz) & A320 & A321
A333
A343 & A345
B788 & B789
B77W & B77L
B762 7 B763
B741 & B742 & B744 including Combi
B732 & B7M8
B727-200
BAe 146
BEH1900D
CRJ100/200/ & CRJ705/905
DC-8 Series 40/50 and Series 60 (regular and stretch) including Combi
DC-9
DHC8-100 & DHC8-300 & DHC8-400/Q400
EMB 175 & EMB 190
L1011-1 & L1011-500
Vickers Viscount
Vickers Vanguard

If we include CP, then I'd need to add
DC-10-30
F28

Growing up in an Air Canada household I remember starting my flying on the Vickers and yes every version of every AC aircraft. My parents enjoyed beaches and the old country and me Disney, what kid did not? Airlines employees and their families had great deals then, so I flew on so many airlines, and aircraft (hated that stupid UM lanyard around my neck) that have come and gone. I took pictures with my compact camera but have no idea where those pictures ended up. Yes Avgeek me took pictures of planes and Disney, not girls, or historical monuments or exabits, lol
The Lev, PLeblond and songsc like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 8:33 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Yes Avgeek me took pictures of planes and Disney, not girls, or historical monuments or exabits, lol
Lol to this day all you can find on my phone are planes, trains, busses, and ships. If you see food thats likely plane food or train food. I recently started to take pictures of hotel rooms too especially those grand railway hotels.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
B762
Remember those gawdawful domestic 762s?!
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:36 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Remember those gawdawful domestic 762s?!
When you're 12 years old and you see one of those beauties pull up to a gate, they're gorgeous.

Plus, you got a set of plastic wings, playing cards and got to visit the cockpit mid-flight.

I call that fabulous
yyznomad, The Lev and billdokes like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by PLeblond
When you're 12 years old and you see one of those beauties pull up to a gate, they're gorgeous.

Plus, you got a set of plastic wings, playing cards and got to visit the cockpit mid-flight.

I call that fabulous
Oops, I should've clarified... I was referring to the infamous "J" cabin on the domestic 762s. They were quite the topic of conversation here on FT back then, if you can recall.
The metal itself I have no problems with!
PLeblond likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:41 am

Oops, I should've clarified... I was referring to the infamous "J" cabin on the domestic 762s. They were quite the topic of conversation here on FT back then, if you can recall.
No stress. I wasn't judging and I wasn't on FT back then.

I just always like to take a step back and remember what it was like to be a kid and seeing these things. I would always join my dad when he was picking up/dropping off people at the airport, just to see those amazing machines, to the point where my dad would send me (8 years old as a circa-1980s-GPS) with my Grandfather to pick someone up at YYZ. I knew the route there and back from Clarkson <-->YYZ no map.

I know it gets frustrating with delays, and cancellations, and sub-par customer service, broken seats and airport security and all the other people, but every time I'm on a plane; somewhere between V1 and Rotate its magic, still to this day 4+ decades later. From the first L-1011 to a commercial 172 flying BZE-SPR sitting in the right seat with a yolk, to booking (on purpose) a connection on a Twin Otter EUX-SXM just to land and take off in SAB all the way to SQ J and LH-F on the Queen and the First Class Terminal in FRA... I never want to lose sight of the privilege and magic that is flying.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

I call that fabulous

Fabolous yes. I remember when I had to clean out my parent's home in the old country and came across those plastic wings, the small toy plastic DC-9 and DC-8 planes, playing cards, that 70's colorful ashtray, cribbage game, I did not know that my dad collected these as well as countless AC spoons, cups, etc. (relax AC security he's long gone now). I had my own AC collection so I sold everything on eBay and it went quickly. Today I probably could have a very cool AC historic museum room in my place and be a super AC geek, lol.

Still remember as a young man having access to places today that would freak out Transport Canada and the RCMP. God I do sound like my grandparents when I say Simpler days and those were the days, lol. So many of todays AV geeks have no idea what we had and enjoyed back then.

Ok its late, need to take my Ovaltine and a nap now,
PLeblond likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean, the 2-2-2 seating? I don't recall that these were worse than other domestic J cabins, at least on the 320. And of course the 2-2 on the DC-9 were worse, surely?

(The 767-200 international were the same as the 763. Not too many of those though.)

And BTW I have no memory of such as discussion. Would it have been pre- when I joined? (Before FT there always were the usenet newsgroups. Which Google stole as "google groups.")
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
You mean, the 2-2-2 seating? I don't recall that these were worse than other domestic J cabins, at least on the 320. And of course the 2-2 on the DC-9 were worse, surely?

(The 767-200 international were the same as the 763. Not too many of those though.)

And BTW I have no memory of such as discussion. Would it have been pre- when I joined? (Before FT there always were the usenet newsgroups. Which Google stole as "google groups.")
Are we talking about The Amigo and the Pineapples ?

I think I only had one flight on one of those. I was a pretty junior FF at the time, and just getting a seat in J for 90 minutes was something I still considered "amazing".
PLeblond likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I think I only had one flight on one of those. I was a pretty junior FF at the time, and just getting a seat in J for 90 minutes was something I still considered "amazing".

Possible previous posters referred to these, but I had not thought about them, even forgot about their short lived presence. AC had 762s way before these. Anyway, they'll need to clarify I suppose.

The "amigos" were mainly in poor taste. But not particularly more uncomfortable than other cabins.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

From what I checked, last 767-200 left October 2007 (C-GAUN) and has nothing to do with the Pineapples, Those were -300s if I recall.

What statuts did you have in 2007?

Edit: Correction -200ERs made it to 2008, it seems. Save for the Omnis.

Last edited by PLeblond; Jul 2, 2023 at 5:26 pm
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I checked, last 767-200 left October 2007 (C-GAUN) and has nothing to do with the Pineapples, Those were -300s if I recall.
I think you are right, these were -300 series.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Back then I would have been mostly in Y and I think the J cabin was not dissimilar to today's narrowbody J.

What I do fondly recall is the very small forward Y cabin on the 762's with only 5 or 6 rows - felt very intimate there.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

Never managed to get on a BOAC VC-10 when they flew from YYZ in the '70's and would have loved to have been around to try a Constellation. Also missed out on Concorde.
My first ever flight was on a Super VC10 ... I wish I still had my BOAC/BA Junior Jet Club logbook, it had a score of goodies in it .... VC10, 707, Trident, BAC111 among others.
The Lev and PLeblond like this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Pink Floyd posted this picture on social media recently:

Pink Floyds 1987 North American tour, promoted by Torontos Michael Cohl, brought the band and fans closer than imaginable. They sold out multiple shows and treated a few lucky people to an impromptu performance at Pearson Airport. The band built a stage in the hangar and opened the doors for airport ground crews to watch and listen to their rehearsal. It caused some delays but gave the crews a once-in-a-lifetime private Pink Floyd concert.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.