Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Old Mar 10, 22, 4:54 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Still my favourite livery. YYJ, April, 2009.

Old May 18, 22, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold; WJ Gold
Question 2002 Timetable?

I was trying to fill in a memory with my aging father. Back in 2002, we took a trip to Victoria from Toronto, departing on May 21st (YYZ-YVR) and returning on May 26th (YYJ-YYC-YQR-YYZ). I was too young to remember much in the way of details, though I do recall that on the way out we were bumped up to 'executive' (middle seats on a widebody, I recall, for the YYZ-YVR, as I was too young to sit in the emergency exit row we had been assigned... and would have been flying early enough in the day to catch the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria), and on the return we took a milk run (I think it was the same plane YYJ-YYC-YQR, maybe tail-mounted jets, then change for YYZ, if memory serves).

Any chance someone happens to have the old 2002 timetable around and might be able to help fill in a few details? Thanks a million!
Old May 18, 22, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No timetable here. Just one detail, tail-mounted jet might have been the DC9. Which AC retired precisely in 2002. We once flew YYC-YWG-YUL on one of these, then YMX-BRU. Probably in 1996. Anyway, likely the day after the TWA800 crash. We definitely flew to Europe on that day, just not 100% sure these particular flights were on that day.

Talking milk run, they did indeed use the DC-9 on these toward the end.

The wide body very likely would have been a 762.
Old May 18, 22, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by juddstreet View Post
I was trying to fill in a memory with my aging father. Back in 2002, we took a trip to Victoria from Toronto, departing on May 21st (YYZ-YVR) and returning on May 26th (YYJ-YYC-YQR-YYZ). I was too young to remember much in the way of details, though I do recall that on the way out we were bumped up to 'executive' (middle seats on a widebody, I recall, for the YYZ-YVR, as I was too young to sit in the emergency exit row we had been assigned... and would have been flying early enough in the day to catch the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria), and on the return we took a milk run (I think it was the same plane YYJ-YYC-YQR, maybe tail-mounted jets, then change for YYZ, if memory serves).

Any chance someone happens to have the old 2002 timetable around and might be able to help fill in a few details? Thanks a million!
Depending on how much this means to you ... you can buy flight histories online. Example: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/TRACKER/history
(They say they have records back to 1998)
arf04 likes this.
Old May 18, 22, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by juddstreet View Post

Canadian Regional was folded into the new Air Canada Regional in 2001 and used to fly Fokker F28s with tail mounted engines into YQR so maybe it was one of those. I do not remember seeing any DC-9s on the YYC-YQR route in those years, but of course that doesnt mean it didnt happen. I really liked the F28, but they were incredibly noisy.
Old Jun 30, 22, 8:03 am

TBT, 2 years almost exactly to the day. My first intercontinental trip of the COVID era. YYZ Check in was deserted.

There were 3 flights departing from the hammerhead all day, and they were all on time. Looks a lot different these days.

Old Jun 30, 22, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
TBT, 2 years almost exactly to the day. My first intercontinental trip of the COVID era. YYZ Check in was deserted.

Great composition!
ffsim, DrPete, Bohemian1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
YYZ Transborder July, 2018. I miss all those Beech flights to tiny US airports

Old Jul 1, 22, 6:08 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
YYZ Transborder July, 2018. I miss all those Beech flights to tiny US airports
Yeah, some of them even left on time. The majority were a steady source of 15% off coupons for me.
Old Jul 5, 22, 12:32 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Since I didn't have any luck with my LHR-related request for precise 1999 info, I'm not super optimistic about this one, but I'll ask anyway: anyone know the AC schedule to Paris in the fall of 1999? I've just been able to sort out that I flew YYZ-CDG on October 16, and CDG-YYZ on October 30. I'm assuming those were probably AC880/AC881, since AC didn't change flight numbers much for a long time and there probably wasn't a second daily YYZ-CDG at that time, and I'm pretty sure both segments were operated by 343. But if anyone has any further details, I'd love to hear them.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Anyone have any old timetables? I'm curious what aircraft type would have been operating YYC-LHR back in 1999.
Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
Few posts on following thread suggests B767 or A340
Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post
Using the wayback machine website I was able to find a PDF timetable from 2003. YYC-LHR was B763 and A333.
So, if anyone is ever looking for info on flights to/from LHR, there's an amazing website that has movements at Heathrow (and Gatwick) tracked back for decades. Not just schedules with types, but registrations and times. For instance, I was able to figure out that my YYC-LHR flight on July 1 (I eventually nailed down the precise date) not only was operated by a 343, but also that it was C-FYKZ. If only every airport had something like that!

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
Back then they were called Q miles. i just did a random search of my archives and from my Nov 1 1991 Aeroplan statement YYC-YWG I received 370 Q miles and a double bonus of another 370 but these were not classified as q. on that month i received 125 Q miles for YYC-YEG and that is when we had the airport downtown Edmonton and not halfway to Calgary. YEG to YWG was 363 Q miles. My August 1991 AP statements show YYC-YVR at 250 Q miles with my March 1991 showing YVR- Port Hardy at 125 & YVR to YYZ at only 1,039 Q miles.
@HerpaYvr, never got around to thanking you for this
Old Jul 5, 22, 2:51 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Hi Adam

I am sitting in the Senators Lounge here in FRA killing time so I looked at my old OpenFlights log as well as checked flightdiary and the only exotic flight I could find for 1999 was YHZ?

Unfortunately back then I did not keep accurate records and even though my memory is good, most of the time, with no proof, I do not record the flight.

I remember my dad and me taking flights to Portugal back then and we would fly through FRA, CDG, MUC because as a retired AC employee it was cheap for those extra side trips and they were fun. But as they were employee passes I never kept records and It's been years since I have had access to his AC employee account.
Old Jul 5, 22, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, AC
Since I didn't have any luck with my LHR-related request for precise 1999 info, I'm not super optimistic about this one, but I'll ask anyway: anyone know the AC schedule to Paris in the fall of 1999? I've just been able to sort out that I flew YYZ-CDG on October 16, and CDG-YYZ on October 30. I'm assuming those were probably AC880/AC881, since AC didn't change flight numbers much for a long time and there probably wasn't a second daily YYZ-CDG at that time, and I'm pretty sure both segments were operated by 343. But if anyone has any further details, I'd love to hear them.
Off by about 8 months but I have a June 2000 schedule. It shows 767 for AC880 YYZ-CDG.
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Thanks for looking, guys. I'm pretty sure it was a 343 as this was a school trip, and I remember being annoyed that despite being the tallest kid there, I somehow got stuck in an interior seat in the middle of the plane. Not a middle in a block of 3 like on the 767, but in a group of 4 or 5 seats, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing that was 2-5-2, right?

I've also managed to dig up that we flew CP YYC-YYZ on October 25, 1996. But my mother's handwriting isn't entirely clear, and it was either flight 470 or 970.
Old Jul 6, 22, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for looking, guys. I'm pretty sure it was a 343 as this was a school trip, and I remember being annoyed that despite being the tallest kid there, I somehow got stuck in an interior seat in the middle of the plane. Not a middle in a block of 3 like on the 767, but in a group of 4 or 5 seats, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing that was 2-5-2, right?

I've also managed to dig up that we flew CP YYC-YYZ on October 25, 1996. But my mother's handwriting isn't entirely clear, and it was either flight 470 or 970.
In 2003 AC 880 was a A333 until October when it went back to a B763. Thats as far back as I can find.
Old Jul 6, 22, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by vancouver25k View Post
Great composition!
I'll second that. What a great photo!!!!!!!!!!
YYCCL3 likes this.

Search this Thread