FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Throwback Thursday (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1795033-air-canada-throwback-thursday.html)

Wpgjetse Oct 6, 2016 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona (Post 27313284)
Nice!! ^ That's quite the throwback! :cool:

I haven't seen the name Tilden for a couple of decades at least...

I forgot about these. What year? 1984?

Marlin240 Oct 6, 2016 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse (Post 27314148)
.??? AC F did not have steaks. They had whole beef tenderloins(rare/med rare/ well done) and you selected what you wanted. Food was better in my opinion.

Whoooshhhh.... :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

D582 Oct 7, 2016 5:06 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 27312773)
Don't you still have to do that? You don't have to call in, but if you want to do it right when your window opens...

I've certainly set a few 4am alarms :p

Not quite. In the certificate days, Reservations would process upgrade requests as of 00:00 in the local time of the departure city because they based it on 'days'.

For example, a SE flying Tango Plus YVR-SYD on the 8th at 23:45 could call in on the 1st at 00:00 (YVR time) and process the upgrade request as anytime on the 1st would be considered T-7 days, even though this is almost 8 days out.

The website function to request an upgrade (when it actually worked) would enforce the window based on hours (like eUpgrades) and therefore would only open the window at 23:45 on the 1st.

This gave a distinct advantage to elites who knew this loophole to secure their upgrades.

agjil Oct 7, 2016 6:24 am

I never experienced AC's 747, but it looks like it was a 2-cabin plane?
I see there was first class and economy class, but nothing in between (business class is missing).
Did AC ever have a true 3 cabin layout of F, J, and Y on any plane?

Jasper2009 Oct 7, 2016 7:09 am

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 27315025)
I see there was first class and economy class, but nothing in between (business class is missing).

Yes.

If you browse around the website 24left posted, you'll see a brochure with a detailed description of "First class", "Executive class" (business class) and "Economy class".

http://airlinespastpresent.blogspot....l/Air%20Canada

quantumofforce Oct 7, 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27315156)
Yes.

If you browse around the website 24left posted, you'll see a brochure with a detailed description of "First class", "Executive class" (business class) and "Economy class".

http://airlinespastpresent.blogspot....l/Air%20Canada

Back in '85 AC flew to Singapore. I'm here 30 years too late.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rhp7PszCjU...0/ac+ic+12.jpg

Jasper2009 Oct 7, 2016 8:47 am

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 27315555)
Back in '85 AC flew to Singapore. I'm here 30 years too late.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rhp7PszCjU...0/ac+ic+12.jpg

Yeah, but afaik it was something like YYZ - Europe - DEL - SIN.

Even with free-flowing champagne and good food, I can't see how that was a lot of fun, especially withouth a flat bed.

quantumofforce Oct 7, 2016 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27315572)
Yeah, but afaik it was something like YYZ - Europe - DEL - SIN.

Even with free-flowing champagne and good food, I can't see how that was a lot of fun, especially withouth a flat bed.

Bombay, but yes, more takeoffs and landings is more fun!

canadiancow Oct 7, 2016 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 27314890)
Not quite. In the certificate days, Reservations would process upgrade requests as of 00:00 in the local time of the departure city because they based it on 'days'.

For example, a SE flying Tango Plus YVR-SYD on the 8th at 23:45 could call in on the 1st at 00:00 (YVR time) and process the upgrade request as anytime on the 1st would be considered T-7 days, even though this is almost 8 days out.

The website function to request an upgrade (when it actually worked) would enforce the window based on hours (like eUpgrades) and therefore would only open the window at 23:45 on the 1st.

This gave a distinct advantage to elites who knew this loophole to secure their upgrades.

Ah, that's interesting. But I was referring more to the setting an alarm in the middle of the night to request an upgrade, which is still sometimes necessary :p

Jasper2009 Oct 7, 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 27316478)
Ah, that's interesting. But I was referring more to the setting an alarm in the middle of the night to request an upgrade, which is still sometimes necessary :p

True, but it's not necessary nearly as often as it used to be for most people.

Also, upgrades worked very differently 4-5 years ago:

It was pretty much "first come first served" and you could increase your upgrade % substantially if you knew the trick described above. Then AC started zeroing out R availability at T-168h (the infamous R games), so knowing this trick became even more valuable.

Nowadays, I often find it makes little/no difference whether I request my upgrade at T-168h or T-160h. I'll only set an alarm clock to wake me in the middle of the night if I have reason to believe availability will be R1 (or R2) at T-168h.

briantoronto Oct 7, 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse (Post 27314161)
I forgot about these. What year? 1984?

This would have been around then. I was 14-15 flying Youth-Standby YXE-YYC r/t a couple times a month. ~100 o/w if I remember correctly.

And yes, you got Aeroplan miles for these fares.

canadiancow Oct 7, 2016 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27316524)
True, but it's not necessary nearly as often as it used to be for most people.

Also, upgrades worked very differently 4-5 years ago:

It was pretty much "first come first served" and you could increase your upgrade % substantially if you knew the trick described above. Then AC started zeroing out R availability at T-168h (the infamous R games), so knowing this trick became even more valuable.

Nowadays, I often find it makes little/no difference whether I request my upgrade at T-168h or T-160h. I'll only set an alarm clock to wake me in the middle of the night if I have reason to believe availability will be R1 (or R2) at T-168h.

I remember upgrading YVR-HKG last year, and it was R5 when my window opened, and I snagged it right away.

There was another SE FTer on the flight, who was not able to upgrade before T-6 (so still only the SE window) because it had gone to R0. I think 5 SEs (and companions) had taken the seats. So it did matter.

But I somewhat agree. I've had flights for EYW that were R9 when I went to bed, knowing my window opened at 3am, and I just waited until morning.

Whether I set the alarm depends on R space and how important the upgrade is.

Jagboi Oct 8, 2016 12:30 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 27313780)
First Class on Air Canada's 747....the early days it seems

Was that a 747-100 or -200?

Bartolo Oct 8, 2016 3:32 am

Yes. Sometimes they even used it YYZ-LAX and return. Mostly I remember flying TATL. Even in Y it could be good.

YEG_SE4Life Oct 8, 2016 6:12 am

I never experienced AC's 747

Actually, everyone who read post #30 has experienced the 747.