Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: How long does it take for AC to refund a ticket?

Question: How long does it take for AC to refund a ticket?

Old Oct 3, 16, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

How long does it take for AC to refund a ticket?

So I am trying to cancel a international P fare ticket (on AC metal, booked directly on AC's website), the fare rule says it's refundable less $200 cancellation fees.

The question is, if I request a refund by calling AC Reservation, how long does it take to receive the refund on my credit card? I did a quick search on this forum, someone says 6 weeks, while others say almost instantly. Anyone who did this types of refund recently can comment on this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3, 16, 1:33 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I goy my refund for a ticket in under five business days on a booking done via credit card.
Old Oct 3, 16, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
I goy my refund for a ticket in under five business days on a booking done via credit card.
Thanks. Let me call AC and see.
Old Oct 3, 16, 2:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by songsc View Post
So I am trying to cancel a international P fare ticket (on AC metal, booked directly on AC's website), the fare rule says it's refundable less $200 cancellation fees.

The question is, if I request a refund by calling AC Reservation, how long does it take to receive the refund on my credit card? I did a quick search on this forum, someone says 6 weeks, while others say almost instantly. Anyone who did this types of refund recently can comment on this?

Thanks in advance.
I've typically had refunds within 24 hrs with one exception. Last summer I did a refund and after a month when it hadn't shown up on the credit card, I called in. It took a lead on the resource desk to find it and move it thru. If course, the largest refund I've ever had. No good explanation as to why it was "lost".
Old Oct 3, 16, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I've typically had refunds within 24 hrs with one exception. Last summer I did a refund and after a month when it hadn't shown up on the credit card, I called in. It took a lead on the resource desk to find it and move it thru. If course, the largest refund I've ever had. No good explanation as to why it was "lost".
Thanks. Hopefully this one will go through quickly. Will let you guys knwo the result.
Old Oct 4, 16, 11:40 am

Programs: AC E50K; *G; VIPorter Priority; HHonors Gold; Fairmont President's Club Premier; Nexus
I just received a refund in less than 24 hours. Record time for AC.
Old Oct 4, 16, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC SE
Thanks. Let me call AC and see.
Definitely call. Normally refunded within a week but I had one go for a month before I called and they did it on the phone as I waited.
Old Oct 4, 16, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

Thanks in advance.
I always get my returns same day on my CC.
Old Oct 4, 16, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

I called AC Reservation yesterday around 6pm. So far there is nothing on my credit card. Still waiting.

According to the agent it may depend on the billing cycle of the credit card.

Also the phone call was pretty quick. After pressing 1 and 1 and then my aeroplan number, I got connected to an agent immediately. Took only 4 minute from start to finish.
Old Oct 5, 16, 3:16 am

I called AC Reservation yesterday around 6pm. So far there is nothing on my credit card. Still waiting.

According to the agent it may depend on the billing cycle of the credit card.

Also the phone call was pretty quick. After pressing 1 and 1 and then my aeroplan number, I got connected to an agent immediately. Took only 4 minute from start to finish.
Not true about billing cycle. I've been told that, too. It's about when they do the refund. Only way billing cycle comes into it is if you paid on one cycle and they credit back on another. If the cycles are sequential, no impact for you.
Old Oct 6, 16, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Just an update: I check my account this morning, got the refund. It took about 2 business days. Thanks everyone for replying.
Old Oct 6, 16, 12:35 pm

For future reference, you typically get an email from AC that's a refund receipt as soon as it's done. I usually see that before it's on the CC.
Old Oct 6, 16, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
For future reference, you typically get an email from AC that's a refund receipt as soon as it's done. I usually see that before it's on the CC.
Yea I got that email before I end the call with AC.
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Is it just me or has AC managed to speed up refund processing (possibly by automating it more)?

I've bought and cancelled/refunded a number of flexible tickets in the past few months (don't worry, I haven't accessed any MLLs using those tickets ). I've done the cancellations through the website or app and typically gotten an e-mail back within minutes confirming the refund - this used to take hours or a day or so, or occasionally required a phone call (see, for example, discussion in this thread) - it seemed like some manual intervention was required. Now it appears to be automated given the quickness of the e-mail and the refund has typically then appeared in a day or so on my card.

Overall, it seems the process has improved considerably (yes, occasionally it worked this smoothly in the past, but usually did not).

Are others noticing the improvement or have I just hit a run of good luck?