Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Fake service dogs on board AC flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eracerblue
In all likelihood, airlines may be nervous about dealing with this issue firsthand. In lieu of this, perhaps we can formulate a step by step guide for pax significantly bothered by a dog, similar to how people choose to confront pax not using headphones, etc. THIS IS A DRAFT, OPEN FOR ALTERATION (NOT SUGGESTED FOR USE AT THIS TIME).

Pax procedure:
1. Sees an unruly dog, suspecting it is not a real ESA or service animal
2. "Hi, cute dog you have there, is he a service animal?"
3a. "Cool an ESA - just so you know, ESA's really aren't permitted off leash or out of kennel unless beside you or on your lap, as it defeats the purpose. Even service dogs don't get to wander. I know you're legit, but I have a friend with an ESA and they say how people overstepping their rights make everyone look bad." Ask to see their BP if you're ballsy, which would generally say MEDA, not PETC.
3b. "Cool - service animals are expected to remain 'on duty', and it seems he may not be"
4. "I understand, but the only reason a service animal should be off leash and away from handler is because you are having an episode and he's going for help. You probably don't want someone calling emergency services unnecessarily." FYI This BP may say MEDA, maybe nothing.
5. Politely remove yourself.
6. If situation persists, inform MLL staff.
7. If you feel confident the dog is being masqueraded as a service dog, and you feel empowered for someone to have a very bad day, find the airport's non-emergency police line...
ALTERNATIVE PAX PROCEDURE:
1. "Hi, are you okay???!!"
2. "I was really worried and I have called emergency services. In <insert your state/province> the only reason a service animal of any type would be away from their owner is if they were trying to call for help. Are you sure you're ok?"

There's likely poor training for staff on this issue. A staff process should be something like:

1. Dog comes in off leash, or pax not holding harness
a. Is your dog required because of a disability? If yes, What work is it trained to perform?
b. Given satisfactory answers, but unsatisfactory appearance (no vest/harness) or behaviour of dog, lightly inform pax that authorities have been called in prior instances if the animal acts in untrained manner (eg wandering around the lounge). It is a public area, and the dog must remain "on duty".
c. In addition a service animal would have been registered ahead of time and would be indicated on the BP/ticket remarks. If it's not, then it's not a service animal and should never be off leash or harness.

2. Dog comes in on leash/harness
Same as above, though obviously can add the: should remain on leash bit.

3. Dog comes in in carry-on kennel
a. "That's a cute pet you have! Just so you know, our policy is X" (which requires your pet to stay in its kennel while in the food area, whatever)
b. Pax says it's an emotional support dog. "In that case, while outside of the cafeteria area, you can have it on leash or on your lap. But if it's wandering around you may be asked to leave.

And in the cases where there's an issue with a claimed service animal:
a. Check BP/ticket remarks
b. Remind pax that dog must remain on duty/in carrier etc as appropriate
c. Inform/remind pax that it is an offence to pass as a service dog
d. Call authorities

Or something like that. Pretty basic stuff.... although maybemployees thought they'd only be interacting with the well behaved pax?
Print Wikipost

Fake service dogs on board AC flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Well, thank you for your post and I will disagree based on my own travel experiences.

There are far too many people who have now found a way to get their pets in the cabin by claiming they are ESAs - with or without vests, certification or other. And now we have them in the MLLs. Unleashed. Near food stations.

If one is so frail as to need an Emotional Support Animal while travelling, then perhaps they should stay home. No telling what kind of unexpected emotions might occur should there be turbulence, or a lengthy delay, or a long line for the lav, or....
I guess blind people should also stay home?
eracerblue likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by eracerblue
I suspect this is actually a bigger issue than ESAs: people passing off their pet as a service animal, sometimes vest and all. Simply put, AC should not admit (lounge or plane) any "service" dog not wearing a vest.
Originally Posted by ou81two
Are you going to pay off those massive ADA lawsuits that they would get and lose? There's no requirement in US legislation that the dog wear a vest. Also, if something is an ESA, it's not a service dog, it's an ESA. Wearing a service dog vest would not be accurate.
I'm not as familiar with US things, however I would suspect that since all of these flights originate or are destined for Canada, that Canadian law has merit. MLL's in the US perhaps not so much, though I'd bet this varies state by state.

In BC anyway (and I suspect all of Canada), if you expect service dog privileges, it must be wearing it's vest and on duty. In many jurisdictions passing your dog off as a service animal (vest or otherwise) is a criminal offense - so someone has procedures on how to identify and deal with it. There ARE a few questions that can sniff out offenders. There ARE behaviors that a legit service dog would and would not exhibit. Wondering around without leash/owner is not one of them.

I agree, ESA's generally do not need to wear a vest, and if they do it cannot say "service animal". This is my point:
* An ESA is closer to a pet, and therefore must be leashed, kenneled, or otherwise comply to the establishment's guidelines.
* An ESA has zero purpose being off leash unless it's on someone's lap, or nearby.

Last edited by eracerblue; Jan 16, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:32 pm

Maybe I should take Ace on my MUC turn this weekend.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Maybe I should take Ace on my MUC turn this weekend.
How many of these did you book?!?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
How many of these did you book?!?
3 revenue, with a positioning flight on each end.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Well, that was regarding ESA. I don't think 24left was talking about seeing-eye dogs or similar.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, that was regarding ESA. I don't think 24left was talking about seeing-eye dogs or similar.
Correct. I was not, and I am not sure why the other comment was made in response to my post. Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Exactly.

A service animal is well trained for the task and is regulated (requirement has to come from an actual medial professional) and is needed by the person using it. I by no means saying that people with anxiety, etc., issues don't legitimately need a service animal. However, you're the internet, a credit card and a bit of your time away from getting an "ESA" designation for your family pet, and the animal has zero training. I was waiting to board an AC flight last week when a disembarking pax had a dog (i.e. family pet) with a fake "ESA" vest that was straining at the end of its lead trying to jump on the gate lice around the podium. This is what we don't need.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

And what's your take on time, cost, and jurisdictions?

Pretty much the same as yours.

But "standards" vary widely across jurisdictions and someone, somewhere, will be able to find that "1-hour" diagnosis from someone who is considered "legitimate", "certified", "legal", etc..

(there are private health "industries" that also make a business of doing "1-hour" diagnosis... but I'll digress if I go there as its not related to flying)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:27 pm

If one is so frail as to need an Emotional Support Animal while travelling, then perhaps they should stay home. No telling what kind of unexpected emotions might occur should there be turbulence, or a lengthy delay, or a long line for the lav, or....
Correct. I was not, and I am not sure why the other comment was made in response to my post. Thank you.
I believe what cow is trying to say, is that ESA's are for people with genuine bona fide disabilities. Full stop.

Belittling these people, even inappropriate questioning is a form of harassment. Are you going to name call the person taking their asthma inhaler, and deny the person on the wheel chair? No, because there is a sense of societal decency and laws to protect them.

We should be clear that it is in everyone's interest to have procedures in place to deal with illegitimate ESA or service animals, and focus discussion within the FlyerTalk terms accordingly.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​​

I believe what cow is trying to say, is that ESA's are for people with genuine bona fide disabilities. Full stop.

Belittling these people, even inappropriate questioning is a form of harassment. Are you going to name call the person taking their asthma inhaler, and deny the person on the wheel chair? No, because there is a sense of societal decency and laws to protect them.

We should be clear that it is in everyone's interest to have procedures in place to deal with illegitimate ESA or service animals, and focus discussion within the FlyerTalk terms accordingly.
I wasn't saying anything. I was trying to get clarity on cow's response to 24left. (whether I misinterpreted 24left or cow is another thing)

However, if one chooses to insult those with ESA needs, I'm not sure if that violates FT TOC? If it does, then a majority of this thread should be thrown out.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I find it funny that someone is mentioning belittling on flyertalk as a form of harassment. If that's the case, charge 90% of flyertalk members with harassment, because that's what goes on here for pretty much everything on a daily basis.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jazzsax
I find it funny that someone is mentioning belittling on flyertalk as a form of harassment. If that's the case, charge 90% of flyertalk members with harassment, because that's what goes on here for pretty much everything on a daily basis.
Pretty much.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM

Service animals should be for people with bonafide disabilities, full stop. I 100% agree with you. At least in Ontario, there is no such thing as an "emotional" service animal, it is a service animal like any other, whether your needs are physical support, mental support, or something in between. There is no reason to deny this to someone with any kind of disability. I think (hope!) that we're all agreeing that the problem is the ability to fake this for certain kinds disabilities (I don't think anyone is going to fake being blind to get Fido on the plane) and purchasing fake service vests, etc. for animals. This is clearly being abused, and I completely agree with you that it needs to be addressed.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I think (hope!) that we're all agreeing that the problem is the ability to fake this for certain kinds disabilities (I don't think anyone is going to fake being blind to get Fido on the plane) and purchasing fake service vests, etc. for animals. This is clearly being abused, and I completely agree with you that it needs to be addressed.
Yes, the topic and OP of this thread is about fake (or questioning if they are real) service dogs. As for someone "faking" it... I wouldn't consider that notion as far-fetched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.