Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada and CIBC launch multicurrency prepaid card for travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada and CIBC launch multicurrency prepaid card for travellers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by philmen
Anyone have any experience loading these cards at YYZ using a CC?
I am specifically interested in the non-foreign currency one (CIBC Smart Prepaid Visa Card) or data points on how Amex treats the transaction.

Thanks
Can't load with Amex.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Can't load with Amex.
That's what I thought, too, but the app accepts an Amex card number. I entered my card information for a purchase of 100 Euro and got to the verification page before bailing on the process (see attached screenshot).

While there's little in the app to suggest the load-in wouldn't work, it would be nice if someone went through with an actual purchase and report back... I don't actually need to load any additional funds to my card at this point.

Name:  CIBC_Amex.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  67.8 KB
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I tried several times loading using an AmEx card on the app and also on the website (inspecting/fiddling with html/javascript code and such to force it take my 4-digit AmEx CVV) but the AmEx card info is still rejected at the backend level
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
... the AmEx card info is still rejected at the backend level
Good to know, thanks. Looks like the app can recognize that you're inputting an Amex number but doesn't recognize that it's not accepted.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:12 pm

Appreciate all of the feedback on loading with Amex; disappointing but that's the game.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
A word to the wise, I would suggest leaving some Canadian dollars on your card. A couple of stores in Europe put through my transaction in Canadian dollars and I got nailed on the ad hoc conversion.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
The website is a bit vague about getting the card at YYZ. One shows up at F61 or E# and then asks for this. One would have to pay for it via debit or credit card in CAD? Cash is not accepted? And also why does it ask for address information? Does one get asked the same questions at YYZ or do they just show ID?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Cards are available, but you have to pay with cash or your CIBC account. Debit cards also works.

When the CIBC Conversion prepaid VISA card came out as well as the CIBC Prepaid VISA card only available at the two YYZ CIBC branches. Many of us took advantage of the flaw of these cards and used our AMEX/VISA AEROPLAN cards to "launder" $$$$$ through these cards for free AP points. CIBC was slow in figuring this account until they finally canceled the free AP, so now its cash, account transfer or debit. AMEX and some others also changed their system to not allow these "purchases" as purchases, but cash advances if at all.

Ya, gone are the old days of free and easy AP Points!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Ya, gone are the old days of free and easy AP Points!
Well I only have the BMO Cashback MasterCard, so this would not apply to me lmao.

Cards are available, but you have to pay with cash or your CIBC account. Debit cards also works.
I read on another forum that one could only deposit CAD. If one tried to deposit another currency directly, it would be first changed to CAD and then back (which makes no sense besides fees). Can anyone verify this?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Well I only have the BMO Cashback MasterCard, so this would not apply to me lmao.

I read on another forum that one could only deposit CAD. If one tried to deposit another currency directly, it would be first changed to CAD and then back (which makes no sense besides fees). Can anyone verify this?

On that card, you can have multiple currencies, I think 10. The card makes its money on the conversion rate as well as when you use the card with the merchant transaction fee. You start with Canadian and then buy the foreign currency you want. If you read the terms and conditions you can also transfer foreign currency to the card, but yes as Canadian as the base rate. This is a great card when traveling and not needing the need to find currency exchange places as you have that foreign cash on the card with the rate you locked in when you made that foreign currency rate.

I for one am not a fan of CIBC, and only used the card with Canadian funds for those free AP points.

AC Pilots used the prepaid VISA cards like candy from what the CIBC staff told me
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AC Pilots used the prepaid VISA cards like candy from what the CIBC staff told me
How does CIBC know they are AC pilots? Mandatory occupation field during sign-up?

I agree this card is convenient... does it allow loading from another prepaid card?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
How does CIBC know they are AC pilots? Mandatory occupation field during sign-up?

I agree this card is convenient... does it allow loading from another prepaid card?

It's gone from that use and no from pre-paid.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:16 am

Has anyone gone through the renewal process on one of these yet?

Because I can't find any explanation as to how one goes about that although the FAQ advises it's possible.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:07 pm

If anyone was wondering:

Dear Cardholder,

Note that your current CIBC Air Canada® AC conversion™ Visa* Prepaid Card will be expiring in 60 days. We will be issuing you a new AC conversion prepaid card in 30 days, to your home address on file.

Upon activation of your new card, all remaining funds on your current card will be transferred to your new card, and will be available for use immediately.

If you do not wish to receive a new CIBC Air Canada® AC conversion™ Visa* Prepaid Card, please call into the call center 1-800-482-8347 / 647-749-5148 and issue a request to opt out of the re-issuance with one of our live agents.

Thanks,

The AC conversion team

[email protected]

1-800-482-8347 / 647-749-5148
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Error 601
If anyone was wondering:
When did you receive this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.