Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Wait, I thought they got rid of call to gate?
They did get rid of call to gate and started to install seats by the gates. However the physical layout of the airport was built around call to gate. End result is there are no amenities around the gates and physical limits to the number of seats that can be installed in that area.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by kenlor
Did they even give us directions to follow? I don't ever remember being told (either before or shortly after it opened) that it was intended it to be call-to-gate. I only remember hearing that phrase being invoked in the months after it was opened, when management was responding to the numerous criticisms made.

Perhaps if they had TOLD us it was going to be call-to-gate when they were designing it, we could have either 1) gotten used to the idea or 2) told them it wouldn't fly (see what I did there? )
There were signs at the entrance to all the halls that have gates in international and trans boarder with several paragraphs of text explaining the concept. The first problem is people in Canada don't read signs with paragraphs of text. Second problem is if you have to take up a paragraph to explain where to wait for a flight the entire concept will not fly.
tcook052 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
...but it's not really consistent with YYC's mandate to act for the general public.
Wait, what? Airport authorities have a mandate to act for the general public?
Old May 13, 2019, 8:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by smallmj
Wait, what? Airport authorities have a mandate to act for the general public?
For YYC, at least, yes. Here's what YYC's website says (bolding is mine):

Mandate
Our mandate is defined by the governing legislation of the Regional Airports Authorities Act of Alberta. Our mandate defines who we are and describes why we exist. We will:
  • Manage and operate the airports for which we are responsible in a safe, secure and efficient manner
  • Advance economic and community development by means that include promoting and encouraging improved airline and transportation service and an expanded aviation industry

For the general benefit of the public in our region.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The customs arrival area was apparently so poorly designed that, only 2.5 years after opening the terminal, it needs significant redesign. The area that used to house the arriving NEXUS machines and crew lane is now boarded up for construction. The Nexus machines have been moved over to the right-hand wall and both arriving and connecting passengers now use the same machines (which appear to be fewer in number than the total from the two separate lines before). Confusion continues to reign as people have to be directed by white hatted volunteers or CBSA agents to one place or another.
I continue to be amazed at how poorly the customs arrival area layout and signage is. The fact that they need 2-3 staff members there 24/7 just to shout at people which way to go ("connections straight ahead, Nexus to the middle, everyone else to the right") is a massive sign of the poor design, and a huge cost to be staffing positions just to yell directions that a properly designed area with signage should be able to do on it's own. This type of mismanagement is why YYC has some of the highest airport improvement fees in the country for such a poor airport experience ($30/Pax, which is higher than YYZ or YVR).

YYC says they're listening, but actions speak louder than words, and there's been very little done to actually improve the customer experience. Most of what they've done has been spending good money after bad on fixing oversights from the initial construction. How they omitted water stations/water fountains in the original design, I'll never understand.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Back of the bus
I still think YYZ is a much worse mess. Customs hall is a gong show pretty much all the time, and same thing is happening (lots of yelling at people to join certain lines, and then they dump you into the pool of machines with backtracking.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by jazzsax
I still think YYZ is a much worse mess. Customs hall is a gong show pretty much all the time, and same thing is happening (lots of yelling at people to join certain lines, and then they dump you into the pool of machines with backtracking.
While I absolutely agree with this, if YYZ had YYC's customs volume, it would work fine. The issue is more that given YYC's relatively low international volume and very recent terminal opening it's this bad from the get go.
gcashin likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
While I absolutely agree with this, if YYZ had YYC's customs volume, it would work fine. The issue is more that given YYC's relatively low international volume and very recent terminal opening it's this bad from the get go.
Ratio of employees to pax at YYZ 1:100
Ratio of employees to pax at YYC 1:10

’Nuff said?

YYZ is fine if you have Nexus. YYC is still incredibly irritating.
gcashin likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Going the other way (AC INTL to UA TB) at YYC was silky smooth a couple of weeks ago.

Almost too smooth. I thought the zombie apocalypse was upon us.

Spooky quiet in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. TB lounge was also pretty empty.
tcook052 likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 13, 2019 at 4:33 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
YYZ is fine if you have Nexus. YYC is still incredibly irritating.
I disagree with this. If you are connecting to domestic in YYZ you either get Nexus and have to go back thru security or you pick OSS but have to fill out a form, because there are no Nexus machines in the T1 transfer area. It is incredibly frustrating and part of the reason I avoid YYZ for TB connections.
jasdou and kenlor like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I disagree with this. If you are connecting to domestic in YYZ you either get Nexus and have to go back thru security or you pick OSS but have to fill out a form, because there are no Nexus machines in the T1 transfer area. It is incredibly frustrating and part of the reason I avoid YYZ for TB connections.
That only sucks relative to YUL. It is better or at least no worse than every other Canadian airport. YVR is terrible for their TB connection. YYC might be acceptable only because they have 3 pax a day use it and 312 staff. But YYZ is not worse. If we are going to judge airports by an objective standard of how they could and should operate well then they are all a colossal dumpster fire.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
That only sucks relative to YUL. It is better or at least no worse than every other Canadian airport. YVR is terrible for their TB connection. YYC might be acceptable only because they have 3 pax a day use it and 312 staff. But YYZ is not worse. If we are going to judge airports by an objective standard of how they could and should operate well then they are all a colossal dumpster fire.
Fair point. What that means is that pax rather clear in their home airport. I'll take DL / UA / AS / WS / AA relative to AC if it means I can avoid transiting YYZ. The only U.S. hub I will sometimes take YYZ over is ORD, because it's ORD.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC

Have you never been to YYZ?

I’ll admit, the implementation has been terrible, but it’s still nothing compared to the never ending cluster f*#k that is YYZ, not matter what time of year. By far, that is the worst airport in the country.
Honestly, every airport has it quirks, hits and misses. YYZ has been putting a ton of money to make connections, improve food options and make it a better place to fly in and out of (T1 especially).

I could probably go through and give you grips and frustrations of every airport in this country. It is probably very experienced based.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
They did get rid of call to gate and started to install seats by the gates. However the physical layout of the airport was built around call to gate. End result is there are no amenities around the gates and physical limits to the number of seats that can be installed in that area.
For anyone that hasn’t had the “pleasure” of the horrible YYC - look at google maps. That concourse stretching out to the east is US departures. From the ugly triangle central area out to to east, there is one small store - one! (and note how long the concourse is relative to the others). There are more inexplicable ramps than stores. It’s a barren waste land of ugliness. By the gates, the windows are covered with massive walls of nothing. Way down at the end is a mural covering up what could have been windows - but don’t worry. You’d need binoculars to see it unless you walk all the way down there (no moving sidewalks or stupid white golf carts either).
Old May 14, 2019, 7:08 am
5mm
Suspended

Fair point. What that means is that pax rather clear in their home airport. I'll take DL / UA / AS / WS / AA relative to AC if it means I can avoid transiting YYZ. The only U.S. hub I will sometimes take YYZ over is ORD, because it's ORD.

I would take any Canadian airport over any US airport to transit from. I know many Americans who would rather transit/clear US customs in YVR than fly direct to the US from Asia. They find it easier, faster and just better. AC gets a lot of extra business because of this.
alphaklg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.