Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Not really a Nexus line, just a place where Nexus holders can butt in front of others to get into the regular line. I think that is what others are saying. There is no separate Nexus line like there used to be in the old terminal (ie. totally dedicated to Nexus).
Yup, you'd still get barked at to take your shoes off. Welcome to YYC - the only major airport where Trusted Travelers are not Trusted.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Not really a Nexus line, just a place where Nexus holders can butt in front of others to get into the regular line. I think that is what others are saying. There is no separate Nexus line like there used to be in the old terminal (ie. totally dedicated to Nexus).
Ah, ok. I do remember the line back at the B gates. I'm just happy to get through more quickly, whether I have to take off my shoes or not!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYCowboy
Yup, you'd still get barked at to take your shoes off. Welcome to YYC - the only major airport where Trusted Travelers are not Trusted.
As much as I love to crap on the new YYC international terminal - because it is terrible - this criticism is inaccurate.

At YYZ and YVR, there is no PreCheck-style screening either (and there wasn't the last time I went through YUL either, although it's a while ago). There may be a fully dedicated line for Nexus, but shoes still come off, laptops and liquids come out, etc.

So, as awful as the new terminal is, I don't really find the TB security experience to be much better or worse than YYZ or YVR.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
As much as I love to crap on the new YYC international terminal - because it is terrible - this criticism is inaccurate.

At YYZ and YVR, there is no PreCheck-style screening either (and there wasn't the last time I went through YUL either, although it's a while ago). There may be a fully dedicated line for Nexus, but shoes still come off, laptops and liquids come out, etc.

So, as awful as the new terminal is, I don't really find the TB security experience to be much better or worse than YYZ or YVR.
YVR TB Nexus security is actually worse than the rest.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver

I transit to the States through YVR about twice a month. Using the Nexus lane I never have had to take my shoes off or my small liquids out of my carry on. I also leave on my belt and watch. The only thing I have to take out is my laptop. Just did this last week and will be doing it again tomorrow.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:23 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by djkyyc

I transit to the States through YVR about twice a month. Using the Nexus lane I never have had to take my shoes off or my small liquids out of my carry on. I also leave on my belt and watch. The only thing I have to take out is my laptop. Just did this last week and will be doing it again tomorrow.
Strange. I've only been through YVR TB once this year, but shoes were off, liquids out, laptops out. Perhaps I got unlucky. Maybe because it was late in the day with not many people and they were funneling traffic from non-Nexus lanes over there?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

It is not true for YYZ either. I transit there at least 2-3 times a month. What you are saying is true if you are connecting (CAN-CAN-USA) but not if you are departing YYZ (YYZ-USA). So the easy solution, and it is always faster, is to exit ground side when you land in YYZ and then clear security as if your point of origin is YYZ. And you don't have to remove shoes or belt, just take the laptop out.

YYC is the only major airport in Canada that does not have Nexus/Pre-Check style security for departures to the USA. The only one.
gcashin and YYCowboy like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS

Not true, I do YYZ monthly and shoes never have to come off, are you sure you weren't inadvertently placed in the regular line? I haven't done YVR in a year or so but I don't remember having to take off shoes either.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ridefar
It is not true for YYZ either. I transit there at least 2-3 times a month. What you are saying is true if you are connecting (CAN-CAN-USA) but not if you are departing YYZ (YYZ-USA). So the easy solution, and it is always faster, is to exit ground side when you land in YYZ and then clear security as if your point of origin is YYZ. And you don't have to remove shoes or belt, just take the laptop out.
This is helpful, especially after just doing the YYZ CAN-CAN-USA connection process. Barefoot. With 2/3 of the GE terminals inoperative.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim

This is helpful, especially after just doing the YYZ CAN-CAN-USA connection process. Barefoot. With 2/3 of the GE terminals inoperative.
were you wearing crocs?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad

were you wearing crocs?
Swims.

How dare I?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim

Swims.

How dare I?
just checking to see if I needed to defriend you, and good thing I don't need to

YYC is such a joke. Meep meep!
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: Helping you through YVR
Originally Posted by pewpew
No nexus line at security (at least not in December 2017), but it's possible for transfer pax and YYC-originating pax both to use Nexus/GE unlike YVR (which only had GE for YVR-originating pax when I last transferred through there... In 2013 ). Otherwise, it's pretty standard
Can confirm that YVR has Global Entry for US-bound connections.

The US connections facility was recently expanded as well with the new larger CATSA screening lanes.
pewpew likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:20 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
lots of "customer service ambassadors" and white hats standing around everywhere doing nothing. roaming around and hovering around you if you stand at the wrong part curbside. you start onloading your bags onto your ride and they hover around you. it's so weird. also, ubers cannot drop you doorside. they have to go far curbside. apparently this is because there is no room. but all this terminal has is room. this terminal is a great job and regulation creator, at least.

Originally Posted by yyznomad

YVR TB Nexus security is actually worse than the rest.

yes. by far. they deliberately go slow and aggravate you in yvr. calgary is just slothy; they don't know better.

Originally Posted by YYCJeff
I was quite impressed with the Aspire lounge when I recently flew YYC-LAX. Chairs are very comfortable and food is average to above average. Give it a try.

yes. transborder has good enough breakfast and lunch food (with actual real hot options, not oatmeal and yogurt or humus and ketchup and tortilla chips like in mll). self pour wine and liquor instead of the guy who gets all passive aggressive and warns you not to get wasted when he pours you a measured, single third whiskey in 2 hours. equally good seating as mll but more focus on outlets/being 21st century. far superior to domestic and tb canadian mll, slight step down from fra and lhr mll but that's not saying much.

Originally Posted by zeer0
Has something radically changed at the international aspire lounge?? Because when I was there 6 months ago it was horrendous. Horrible food options, a cramped lounge space, and showers with only cold running water. The YYC MLL was sooo much better.
i would imagine so if you found it horrendous. food is good enough by canadian standards; at least it's real eggs, bacon and fresh fruit not oatmeal. never seen any of those in a non intl mll. and better than ANY of the garbage served airside public transborder.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:38 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by jazzsax
I
If call-to-gate was the desired outcome and to get there you had to have one city give it a go to slowly get user adoption, so be it. You'll never get call to gate to work if you simply build the terminal with all the seating at the gates. Someone has to lead the charge to make the change.

There was probably more to the design and discussion and engineering than us common folk are aware of ----
the people who thought ctg would be a good idea probably saw it in places like lhr (where the gates are locked until ~60-90 mins), or sin and kul (where ditto but security screening happens). only that in yyc, the gates are wide open, so naturally people wouldn't do it, and in yyc people tend not to have the long layovers that you'd see in places like sin or lhr.

perhaps there is a reason for taking up so much floor space, but i think the lifers at yyc wanted something big for the sake of something big. there's also no excuse why the transborder gte area is super depressing; linoleum floor, crappy prairie paintings, no water fountains (at first), massive unused central waiting area. it's obvious they planned this during the boom days when lineups at cbp were 60-90 mins long during startup. so better that it's too big, but man it's ugly looking.

i wish they did something nice like vancouver's international or something useful and bold like singapore, but of course it's all about the almighty dollar in calgary.

the pros are that cbp is much more improved and the transborder area lounge is very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.