Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:29 pm

Any updated departure issues from International Terminal? I am taking AC844 to Frankfurt on Monday with Nexus, boarding pass and carry on only. I know from posts above there is no separate nexus line. Departure is at 5:50 pm and I believe Gate D76. What time should I show up at the airport to have stress free experience. Going via security, do I remove the liquids, electronics, belts, watch, shoes? Coming back on AC845 at 3:00 pm, what is the usual time to get to the curb?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Any updated departure issues from International Terminal? I am taking AC844 to Frankfurt on Monday with Nexus, boarding pass and carry on only. I know from posts above there is no separate nexus line. Departure is at 5:50 pm and I believe Gate D76. What time should I show up at the airport to have stress free experience. Going via security, do I remove the liquids, electronics, belts, watch, shoes? Coming back on AC845 at 3:00 pm, what is the usual time to get to the curb?
I have gotten to YYC at 4:50 pm for 844 (5:55 pm departure) and obtained my printed BP from the domestic SE check-in counter, gone through security using NEXUS there and then head to the international departures area in less than 10 minutes.

Coming back on 845 I have gone from the aircraft to the curb in about 10 minutes. It's actually not bad if you have NEXUS.

Edit: I was also in J both ways, so that helped.
1Newflyer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
I have a question for anybody that has flown through YYC recently. We have a flight arriving AC from YQR connecting to UA to SFO. We have a 43 minute connection time and have Nexus/ GE. My suspicion is that we will not be able to make the connection as the AC website says 50 minutes is the minimum, although that is presumably without Nexus.

My question is that given the enhanced electronic screening on flights to the US is there any chance of making it if we hustle. Or are we better contacting UA to change now or should we gamble on making it. BTW we are connecting in SFO to OGG so if we miss one connection it dominos from there.
While this trip has long come and gone, my observation the last time I connected through YYC to transborder (from YQR as it happens on the morning flight) was that the security line they funneled connecting passengers into was quite slow and moderately busy. I could see through the glass walls that the regular security line was non-existent. It would have been a matter of a minute or less to exit security and re-clear rather than go through the connections process.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arf04
While this trip has long come and gone, my observation the last time I connected through YYC to transborder (from YQR as it happens on the morning flight) was that the security line they funneled connecting passengers into was quite slow and moderately busy. I could see through the glass walls that the regular security line was non-existent. It would have been a matter of a minute or less to exit security and re-clear rather than go through the connections process.
My experience in various North American airports is that the connections path is almost always slower.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My experience in various North American airports is that the connections path is almost always slower.
+1. I am sure you have tons more experience than I do, but this is definitely true in YYZ and YUL. YVR actually does well in this respect. Most of the time.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
You also have the choice of going through the nexus line for the C gates, but then have a long walk of about 10 minutes to the D gates and there is no additional security to go through. It’s up to you if a walk is worth the nexus entry point. I always like to walk before an international flight so typically choose this method.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:44 pm

Thanks for your comments.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
At YVR for sure it's quicker to exit security. I don't go through YYZ trans border often and don't recall what we did back in May when we last did it, but I don't recall it being particularly lengthy. I miss the days when YQR had UA and DL service. Though you cleared immigration and were then spit out into the main terminal at DEN, with precheck it was quick to reclear security. At MSP Nexus was fast and their dedicated connections security line was never long and it was easy to butt in if you had a tight connection.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Any updated departure issues from International Terminal?
Not really, it sucks about as badly as it did on the first day they opened this garbage facility designed by incompetent morons.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not really, it sucks about as badly as it did on the first day they opened this garbage facility designed by incompetent morons.
Why don’t you tell us how you really feel about it?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
Why don’t you tell us how you really feel about it?
Because I have better things to do with my life than spend an entire week writing an FT post about the numerous ways in which the new terminal was criminally botched?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I have done the transition twice now in the last 2 weeks. The flight I asked about with a 43 minute connection was changed when I called and United realized it was less than the MCT AC had listed on its website. It did mean a >6 hour layover and a 5:30 am departure. It was possibly just as well as the flight was late, largely because they missed the runway the first time and had to go around again. The Captain said there was traffic on the runway, although I had already been thinking that we were pretty high still as we approached, before the wheels came up and we went around again. The second time in a 5 day period for me on an AC Q400 flight. The week before we missed YQR on a late night flight from YYC. No reason given but I speculated to myself that the first might have been the youngish looking pilot in the cockpit and the second the older more experienced one. Pure speculation only, however.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
The Captain said there was traffic on the runway, although I had already been thinking that we were pretty high still as we approached, before the wheels came up and we went around again.
Are you sure he said runway, maybe he meant "traffic on the highway" the No. 2.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Are you sure he said runway, maybe he meant "traffic on the highway" the No. 2.
If there is a pun or double entendre here I'm afraid it went right over my head. My recollection, however, was definitely traffic on the runway. And it wasn't even SFO.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:55 am

Not sure it has been mentioned lately but AC J passengers have access to the Aspire lounge. I didn’t see any signage but the lounge agent confirmed. Decent lounge. Not a huge selection of food but adequate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.