Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar

I look forward to transiting YYZ to USA for a long time to come. Unless YYC actually improves the current situation by making changes (something YYZ has been doing lately). Lets see if the local YYC management is capable of that. I am not optimistic, and they never have been in the past, but you never know...
Isn't the new terminal ready for OSS?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stranger
Is it? That's an honest question, I have no idea. And even if it is, are they implementing it?

(This, along with no longer needing to pick up checked bags while transiting YYZ is what I was alluding to with the changes YYZ is making.)
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
YYC OSS can currently handle USA-Canada, International-Canada, USA-International, and Canada-International. For USA/International in-bound, there is a separate transfer area that dumps you airside after seeing CBSA.

It is designed to handle Canada/International-USA OSS, but can't until CBP signs off on it. Once they do, the separate D/E securities can be merged into one and the airside security station for screening US-bound pax be can shutdown. How long until that happens is anyone's guess, but the terminal was designed for it.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Please take the politics somewhere else.

That said. The news stories local were just advertising, and expecting anything else is just wishful thinking. Taking infrequent flyers (the local reporters) through the terminal when nobody else was there and telling them how great things are so they can repeat that to the viewing public. Put it this way: how often do you see a news story about a subject matter that you are highly educated on. And how often do they get it right? (For me, I think it is about 10% of the stories pertaining to my professional sphere are actually truly accurate.) So why do you expect them to get it any more right in other areas? Why do you think they would be critical/insightful of YYC? Why should they be?
Once upon a time there was something called "journalistic integrity" and a desire to present isues in a balanced way (and yes, I know I'm extremely old-fashioned...)

But it shouldn't take a genius to:

1) figure out that visiting an airport during operations (in addition to the pre-opening press tour) may be useful

2) ask management is simple question like "What sets this terminal apart from other terminals?" and maybe a follow-up "What are the pros/cons of this new concept?"

3) spend 10min googling "why the YYC new terminal is great / terrible" enroute to the meeting (since journalists no longer have the time/resources to do any meaningful research in advance) and come up with 2-3 semi-intelligent questions
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Once upon a time there was something called "journalistic integrity" and a desire to present isues in a balanced way (and yes, I know I'm extremely old-fashioned...)

But it shouldn't take a genius to:

1) figure out that visiting an airport during operations (in addition to the pre-opening press tour) may be useful

2) ask management is simple question like "What sets this terminal apart from other terminals?" and maybe a follow-up "What are the pros/cons of this new concept?"

3) spend 10min googling "why the YYC new terminal is great / terrible" enroute to the meeting (since journalists no longer have the time/resources to do any meaningful research in advance) and come up with 2-3 semi-intelligent questions
I agree with you (to an extent). Maybe my expectations of the local journalism pieces were so low because my expectations of most journalists are so low. But, as a counter point, ask yourself this question: how many questions are asked on FT to which we (experienced flyers) think "it shouldn't take a genius" to figure that out? I don't think the average local news journalist flies very much, so the other reason my expectations were low is they simply don't have the background to understand this like we do. And that is where you are right--they shouldn't have just reached out to FT for some more insight.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:54 pm

Received a proactive message from the YYC Concierge today, which included the following:

We sincerely apologize to inform you that there is no Maple Leaf Lounge accessibility at this time. The Calgary Airport Authority has unilaterally blocked access for customers departing to an International or US destination via the “C” security screening point. This unfortunately now results in our Calgary originating customers departing to an International or US destination not having access to our Maple Leaf Lounge (MLL) located in concourse C. As our Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge offers an International food and beverage service standard around international flight departure times, we are working on restoring access for lounge eligible customers via the “C” security screening point as soon as possible. Once again we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Please note that as a direct result of the above, no lounge option currently exists at the Calgary airport for customers departing to an international or US destination, unless they are connecting from a domestic inbound flight.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
Received a proactive message from the YYC Concierge today, which included the following:
Maybe I am just delusional (probably) but when I read this I hear the YYC management thinking: maybe if we block access, then we can force AC to pay out rent for a second lounge space in the international departures terminal.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:04 pm

Maybe I am just delusional (probably) but when I read this I hear the YYC management thinking: maybe if we block access, then we can force AC to pay out rent for a second lounge space in the international departures terminal.
I think they are having issues with CATSA costs / staffing, and my guess on the end result is that International is allowed access but US isn't.

It's easy to staff C security for the couple AC international flights a day, and they don't require re-checking before being let into D. US-bound OTOH has a significant number of AC and UA flights all day, and allowing them through C also means staffing up the airside US-bound security checkpoint, which I'd guess is where the problem is coming from.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Or maybe they want pax to spend some money in the restaurants.

All that being said, I'm looking forward to giving YYC's USA-Canada OSS a shot in early January. At least I'll have lounge access once I'm done CBSA formalities
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:46 pm

This all sounds typical of YYC management, they have no concept of how to setup an airport to allow 'transiting' as opposed to local departure and arrival.

I marvel at how they continue to not graspe what they have to do in order for people to stop avoiding or hating transiting YYC.

Me I'll do my annual transit YYC once, to see if they fix anything, get pissed off and avoid for another year.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
I recently booked an itinerary where I had a choice of transiting through YYC from LHR. Instead, I booked it to transit through YVR. With YVR getting an AC daily flight to FRA in summer 2017, I will no longer need to go through YYC for any TATL or NRT flights if departing from YEG.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
We arrived at the new terminal this morning from OGG. The moving sidewalks weren't working, and there seems to be few washrooms. In the bag claim area, there is one in one corner, but it took us a while to find it. We were over our limit so we had to see the cashier, the location of which was not obvious at all - no signage, nothing. When we did find it, it is in the opposite direction from the exit. The customs fellow at the exit apologized for the confusion. Outside, it is a long walk between washrooms. Our daughter picked us up and she parked on the ground level of the parkade across from the new terminal. But there doesn't appear to be any crosswalk with ramps for luggage carts (maybe I was just tired). I suppose they want people to go upstairs and walk across there and then take the elevator in the parkade, but if you're parked on the ground level, wouldn't it make sense to have a crosswalk outside of the arrivals area which is also on the ground level? Not impressed so far.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:36 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Why do you think they would be critical/insightful of YYC? Why should they be?
because airports are important pieces of infrastructure to a local economy?
because airport authorities in canada are corrupt?
they have zero accountability to anyone?
they fleece pax with aif yet the experience gets worse?
because this thing cost 2 billion and is a year late?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by cur
because airports are important pieces of infrastructure to a local economy?
because airport authorities in canada are corrupt?
they have zero accountability to anyone?
they fleece pax with aif yet the experience gets worse?
because this thing cost 2 billion and is a year late?
If you have evidence of corruption, provide it (wrt to airport administration and management).

Other than that, I agree with you 100%. But how many people in the audience know or care? How many understand how airports are paid for? The only reason people know in Calgary is because of the tunnel. I would love to see a real hard news piece expose the whole thing, because there is zero accountability and because it does cost a ton of money and because the experience is degrading. But most people just don't care. And television news exists to sell commercials. Anyways, very far from AC. Bringing it back: it is shocking that with 140 international (including US) flights a day, AC and the other airlines have no access to a lounge.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:24 am

Went through for the first time today enroute to SFO. I'd rate it as having a lot of possibility, but presently implemented poorly.

- There was a Nexus / GE lane to skip the line, but as noted no change in screening. There was no Priority line.
- Transfer passengers have to be handled separately (or so they said), which results in randomly shutting the right hand lane so it can take a batch of transfers. The YYC original pax who should feed into that lane get tossed left when that happens, disrupting all the lanes
- Security still has a lot of unnecessary tight pinch points (i.e. the left 3 lanes all need to go around one corner) that slowed down the line considerably.
- SSSS is a mess. The have to manually handle the pax throughout, with their ID and boarding pass in a red sleeve being passed from employee to employee They should just make a SSSS lane and send everyone with it there.
- CBP was fine, but a dedicated "No Checked Bags" lane would be a good addition.
- There is a lot of empty space near the gates, so additional seating could easily be installed if required.

Plus side, the new Aspire lounge is quite nice and completely empty.

I was flying with a colleague who just barely made the flight due to the security delays. To quote her, "That's enough of a reason to route via YVR".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.