Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Feeling even better now about not making super elite next year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feeling even better now about not making super elite next year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by 97gst
Apples to apples, consider that the cheap AA/Delta fares to China are usually on older aircraft. 747 & 767s usually.

AC may suck but they do have beautiful 777/787 on most of their runs to China. I was on the dreamliner to SHA last year on AC and it was glorious and quiet.

New plane vs old plane and additional stops + clearing into the US instead of passing through YVR is another consideration. Worth the ~30-40% premium? That's up to you...
Not exactly.
Let's take the YYZ-PEK route: You want direct? There is the ever delightful Hainan. Fly direct on a B787, with an airline consistently rated better than AC and for a fare that's less than AC.

I do appreciate your point about avoiding the USA transit. It is why I will pay more, but it won't necessarily be to fly on AC. There are many other options which are less costly and offer slightly better schedules (for me) even if I have to transfer.

Finnair usually offers some dirt cheap airfares using the BA 787 and its own AB350. This routing allows for a good night's rest in transit either in LHR or HEL.

EVA has a seductive transfer option and TPE is one of my favourite transfer airports because it is so fast, uncrowded and safe. It is one of the few Asian airports that is Canadian in its smallness but so much better in terms of management and cleanliness. My transfer times are usually 2-3 hours and I like if because it allows me to do a quick stretch, get something to eat in the lounge, check emails etc.

I have never been Super Elite and do not care. I am not missing out on anything as I fly J class on my long hauls anyway. I even enjoy flying in the cheap seats on some of the Asian domestic short hauls because unlike AC, they still treat pax in the cheap seats with some respect and courtesy.

I am fortunate that I need not fly enough to make SE either, and my condolences to those exposed to the reduced lifespan associated with frequent flying. It's not easy living out of a suitcase. More importantly though and for selfish reasons, I like the fact that I have cut my cost of air travel by at least 25-50% by using other airlines. I may not have elite status, but the $5,000+ I saved so far this year by not using AC and chasing status more than compensates for my not having a little tag and getting to use an SE line. As was pointed out up thread, the MLLs are so bad now, that there is little benefit to someone who seeks something decent to eat and a relaxing drink. They are noisy, dirty, crowded and offer little in the way of food. (Try the AF/KLM lounges in Canada to get an idea of what quality wine and food looks like.) The added value of being SE just isn't there for people like me.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
With the exception of the bolded word and its connotation, this is a quality post:

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Now, we can argue all day long about the validity/intelligence behind AC's new strategy, But intelligent posters cannot treat YOW-PHL-ORD-PEK as a similar experience to YOW-YYZ-PEK. They are entirely different products, so a comparison of price is silly. Similarly, An intelligent person would not compare the cost of a limo to the airport to a shuttle bus that stops as hotels along the way.
This, on the other hand, is condescending and insulting:

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Oh hey, Edmonton is in the house. How are things at YEG?? Saw a few job postings YEGIAA looking for airline incentive cheque writers ... Sounds like a secure, life-long job. I'd like to apply, Mind if I use you as a reference?
IMHO, this kind of ridiculous banter has contributed negatively to the usefulness and appeal of FT.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Not exactly.
Let's take the YYZ-PEK route: You want direct? There is the ever delightful Hainan. Fly direct on a B787, with an airline consistently rated better than AC and for a fare that's less than AC.

I do appreciate your point about avoiding the USA transit. It is why I will pay more, but it won't necessarily be to fly on AC. There are many other options which are less costly and offer slightly better schedules (for me) even if I have to transfer.

Finnair usually offers some dirt cheap airfares using the BA 787 and its own AB350. This routing allows for a good night's rest in transit either in LHR or HEL.

EVA has a seductive transfer option and TPE is one of my favourite transfer airports because it is so fast, uncrowded and safe. It is one of the few Asian airports that is Canadian in its smallness but so much better in terms of management and cleanliness. My transfer times are usually 2-3 hours and I like if because it allows me to do a quick stretch, get something to eat in the lounge, check emails etc.

I have never been Super Elite and do not care. I am not missing out on anything as I fly J class on my long hauls anyway. I even enjoy flying in the cheap seats on some of the Asian domestic short hauls because unlike AC, they still treat pax in the cheap seats with some respect and courtesy.

I am fortunate that I need not fly enough to make SE either, and my condolences to those exposed to the reduced lifespan associated with frequent flying. It's not easy living out of a suitcase. More importantly though and for selfish reasons, I like the fact that I have cut my cost of air travel by at least 25-50% by using other airlines. I may not have elite status, but the $5,000+ I saved so far this year by not using AC and chasing status more than compensates for my not having a little tag and getting to use an SE line. As was pointed out up thread, the MLLs are so bad now, that there is little benefit to someone who seeks something decent to eat and a relaxing drink. They are noisy, dirty, crowded and offer little in the way of food. (Try the AF/KLM lounges in Canada to get an idea of what quality wine and food looks like.) The added value of being SE just isn't there for people like me.
+1

Nicely said, and right on the money.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer

I do a lot of Dom flying in China and the only way Chinese airlines treat the pax better in the cheap seat than AC is that they serve food(bad), but with less leg room. Flying Dom in Canada on AC is way better than flying Dom in China on any airline. Most airport lougnes in china(dom flights) are a total joke.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
Cow for example would seem to spend less and yet would seem to use "benefits" such as concierge etc than others spending more.
No, I've been pretty clear that I have no issues hitting the resident requirement.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I do a lot of Dom flying in China and the only way Chinese airlines treat the pax better in the cheap seat than AC is that they serve food(bad), but with less leg room. Flying Dom in Canada on AC is way better than flying Dom in China on any airline. Most airport lougnes in china(dom flights) are a total joke.

Transpacific flyer said "Asian domestic short hauls" which is not the same thing as your domestic flying in China.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
A concept some do not understand here.
you need to segment AC's high flying customers out.

1. business owners who use their own dime : paying premiums to fly AC does not make sense so find whatever is cheaper. otherwise figure out your own intrinsic value for flying paying 30-40% higher on AC.

2. people who fly with other peoples money : why would i want to transit in the US or anywhere else, or fly on old planes when I can take a direct flight on AC. I forgot to mention 'expensive' cause i dont care.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by karachi
you need to segment AC's high flying customers out.

1. business owners who use their own dime : paying premiums to fly AC does not make sense so find whatever is cheaper. otherwise figure out your own intrinsic value for flying paying 30-40% higher on AC.

2. people who fly with other peoples money : why would i want to transit in the US or anywhere else, or fly on old planes when I can take a direct flight on AC. I forgot to mention 'expensive' cause i dont care.

Yup, scroll back about 5 hours

Originally Posted by 24left
.....Anyway, as for the thread topics of whether others are like OP and feel better about not making SE status for next year, it is really all about what works for each individual - and of course the important variable in the equation: OPM
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Well so do I
1.Legroom shorter? Specifically what airline are you talking about?
2.Food are very good given its free*
3.Service level also better in Y vs AC
4. Flying Dom Y is better on AC? Lmao not even remotely close....
5. Do you even look at how long the wait time is at AC check in vs China Eastern?

Maybe because you got mad because no zone 1 and had to board with the rest of Plebs?

HECK! The food in China DOM Y at most times can be even better than AC international long haul.

Delays in China are notorious...Yes. But that has nothing to do with the airline

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 17, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
5. Do you even look at how long the wait time is at AC check in vs China Eastern?

Maybe because you got mad because no zone 1 and had to board with the rest of Plebs?

HECK! The food in China DOM Y at most times can be even better than AC international long haul.

Delays in China are notorious...Yes. But that has nothing to do with the airline
We recently flew China Eastern (both domestic China and from ICN to China). Although in business/first, not in economy.

Admittedly some issues may be plane-dependent. Both flights were on 737s. One -700 and one -800 I believe. Seats were roughly comparable with AC. A bit tacky presentationwise, a bit worn, just like AC.

Food was better than expected based upon a five years old experience on Air China. Still not great, even if you prefer Chinese food. On domestic flights no wine or alcohol. On ICN-KMG, they had wine but even worse than AC's.

Crews were better looking. They manage to give an appearance of being more attentive, but at the end of the day we have no major issue with crews in J on AC.

The domestic flight had a stopover somewhere. Because my wife has some difficulty walking,they let us stay on board. There seemed to be some issue between the SD and one TA, something about the numbers for business class catering. The SD gave the younger FA a scaling that we are nowhere near ready to forget. It was truly embarrassing. My interpreter managed to give me the gist of the thing. Seems education remains a major issue at that level...

On the flight from ICN to KMG, pretty sure pilots smoked in the cockpit at one point. Apparently normal on China Eastern.

Summary: somewhat better than we expected, but overall we feel at home on AC.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Stranger
On the flight from ICN to KMG, pretty sure pilots smoked in the cockpit at one point. Apparently normal on China Eastern.
WAT..
How were you sure though?If you remember your flight and you date I can try to submit a complaint for you in chinese to China Eastern

I know there is still this smoking culture in China and I despise it, but it's got a lot better in the last four years
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Well so do I
1.Legroom shorter? Specifically what airline are you talking about?
2.Food are very good given its free*

Have you ever been in a airport Dom lounge in China? Besides a few major airports, they don't have any food or booze. I was on China Eastern last week, yes I know what the check in wait times are. I have flown Air China, China Southern, China Eastern, Juneyao, Shangahi airlines and Shenzhen Airlines. I do a min of 20 flights per year for the last 25 years. I'm 6'3"' with 37" inseam, so I understand leg room. If you think Chinese airlines are better on Dom flight than AC Dom flights, I guess that's your choice, but you must be very short. By the way, if you did fly Dom in China, you would know they also have zone boarding on *A airlines.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Smoking in the cockpit seems to be normal on China Eastern. As is denying it to the pax.

See:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-crew-smoking/

Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WAT..
How were you sure though?If you remember your flight and you date I can try to submit a complaint for you in chinese to China Eastern

I know there is still this smoking culture in China and I despise it, but it's got a lot better in the last four years
May have got better. Somewhat. I wish I would have taken pictures of all these guys smoking underneath every smoking sign in the nice seafood place in Dalian.

But coming back to our flight, we have noses, the smell was unmistakable, and we could tell it did not come from anywhere in the cabin, or the galley, and the toilet was free. If you search on FT you'll find that apparently this is a known issue with China Eastern BTW.

No point in fighting windmills.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:12 pm

Have you ever been in a airport Dom lounge in China? Besides a few major airports, they don't have any food or booze. I was on China Eastern last week, yes I know what the check in wait times are. I have flown Air China, China Southern, China Eastern, Juneyao, Shangahi airlines and Shenzhen Airlines. I do a min of 20 flights per year for the last 25 years. I'm 6'3"' with 37" inseam, so I understand leg room. If you think Chinese airlines are better on Dom flight than AC Dom flights, I guess that your choice, but you must be very short.

Yes sir, i have been to airport Dom lounge in China many.... many times.

Usually there is one fried rice dish and one fried noodles dish. There will always be instant noodles ready to go in at least 2-3 flavours.
If you you need have flown China Eastern, Shanghai Airline and Air China that many times I don't know how you can come to the conclusion the "free food" are bad. They are good for what it is- fill you up. And consider AC charges what, 50RMB equivalent for a Chicken Wrap. I would say thanks to AC, I have come to appreciate flying in China more and more.

No booze in lounge? Perfect- I could give less of a damn about that. I would be more than happy if AC could improve food offering... even if its at the expense of booze cut back(But ultimately I am not exactly in their cohort)
I am 187cm tall and I am still not sure about where you got your less legroom fact from. Perhaps you can point me towards a site with specifications on legroom vs AC?

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 17, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.