Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Feeling even better now about not making super elite next year

Feeling even better now about not making super elite next year

Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
It fits right alongside AC's constant attempts to drum up more US business, where I can buy YVR-YYZ-LGA for $292, or the same flight as YVR-YYZ for $400.
Man, it's that ill-informed sarcasm that makes FT so attractive.
Yeah, if only I were informed enough to be shocked by AC's pricing Vancouver-NY travel below Van-Toronto like you.
Or, How AC would be looking to fill their unprecedented capacity increase with travellers form the largest travel market on the planet located right beside their home turf.
AC have been very public about their US targeting for years now - the key problem being how to hold up against carriers who are (A) used to having to actually compete in the marketplace and (B) drawing from a market 10 times the size.
AC have also been very public about how their goal of funneling Intl>Intl traffic via YYZ is beating expectations to date. Seems they're dealing with the (A) (B) problems you informed of us above.
This forum is full of endless threads about how much cheaper AC suddenly gets when flying competitive routes, this isn't news.
Yeah, it's called basic economics.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Yeah, if only I were informed enough to be shocked by AC's pricing Vancouver-NY travel below Van-Toronto like you.
Or, How AC would be looking to fill their unprecedented capacity increase with travellers form the largest travel market on the planet located right beside their home turf.

AC have also been very public about how their goal of funneling Intl>Intl traffic via YYZ is beating expectations to date. Seems they're dealing with the (A) (B) problems you informed of us above.

This is disappointing, you've generally been more civil than this when we've met IRL.

Enough fistfights on this board for one day, you can finish this one by yourself.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is disappointing, you've generally been more civil than this when we've met IRL.....
Most people are much more civil in person. FT brings out the worst in too many of us
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
To be back on topic, I am feeling even better about making SE for 2017 now that apparently so many are not. Even if the benefits don't improve, the drop in numbers will produce benefits - more eUps clearing (although I am 100% this year) and more opups.

I understand that $20K is a lot for some people. However, for others it's not. I'm at $26K with at least $8K more to spend this year. AC knows how many will finish above $20K and chose this value for a reason. All the whining in the world on FT won't change this. As many have said, 100K miles with <$20K spend is most likely not profitable enough for AC to provide SE benefits.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
A concept some do not understand here.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by 97gst
Apples to apples, consider that the cheap AA/Delta fares to China are usually on older aircraft. 747 & 767s usually.

AC may suck but they do have beautiful 777/787 on most of their runs to China. I was on the dreamliner to SHA last year on AC and it was glorious and quiet.

New plane vs old plane and additional stops + clearing into the US instead of passing through YVR is another consideration. Worth the ~30-40% premium? That's up to you...
Thank you for your comment, Mr Rovinescu. Unfortunately, it demands clarification.

For starters, let's note that your beautiful new 777/787 are little more than overpriced sardine cans in Y, and still tighter than many competitors in PY. Add in the often surly staff and uncomfortable new-style seats (which sometimes don't work) and yeah, I think many people would not see being on an older plane with more space as a bad thing, necessarily. Let's also remember that - like many of AC's own aircraft - the older AA/DL planes have all been updated in recent years. It's not like they have the original seats.

Frankly, if one wants a better experience flying to China they should simply fly on CX - an experience that smokes all North American carriers, definitely including AC. Fares are generally pretty close too. But I digress ...

Connecting in the US versus connecting in YVR is a wash for anyone with Nexus/Global Entry. One connection is the same as the next, so that argument is also moot.

Finally, Mr Rovinescu, let's be honest here. The OP isn't talking about a ~30% - 40% price difference as you suggest. AC's fare is near double what AA is asking, which makes the cost difference closer to 100%. This isn't exactly unusual these days either. Face it. Your pricing and your value proposition no longer align like they used to.

Have a good day, and thank you for flying on Asiana.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Thank you for your comment, Mr Rovinescu. Unfortunately, it demands clarification.

For starters, let's note that your beautiful new 777/787 are little more than overpriced sardine cans in Y, and still tighter than many competitors in PY. Add in the often surly staff and uncomfortable new-style seats (which sometimes don't work) and yeah, I think many people would not see being on an older plane with more space as a bad thing, necessarily. Let's also remember that - like many of AC's own aircraft - the older AA/DL planes have all been updated in recent years. It's not like they have the original seats.

Frankly, if one wants a better experience flying to China they should simply fly on CX - an experience that smokes all North American carriers, definitely including AC. Fares are generally pretty close too. But I digress ...

Connecting in the US versus connecting in YVR is a wash for anyone with Nexus/Global Entry. One connection is the same as the next, so that argument is also moot.

Finally, Mr Rovinescu, let's be honest here. The OP isn't talking about a ~30% - 40% price difference as you suggest. AC's fare is near double what AA is asking, which makes the cost difference closer to 100%. This isn't exactly unusual these days either. Face it. Your pricing and your value proposition no longer align like they used to.

Have a good day, and thank you for flying on Asiana.
Why would I fly CX to China? They only fly to Hong Kong, and if I'm going to Shanghai or most business cities in China, it add 4 to 6 hours flying, plus the station stop in HKG. That make CX out for a lot of business flyers.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why would I fly CX to China? They only fly to Hong Kong, and if I'm going to Shanghai or most business cities in China, it add 4 to 6 hours flying, plus the station stop in HKG. That make CX out for a lot of business flyers.
I would agree with that personally ... but my good buddy Calin said AC's nice new planes were so much better than the AA/DL fleet ... if hard/soft product is so important, then quality of hard/soft product should trump connection time when choosing a flight. CX has a better product, no question about it.

Besides, flying ex-YYZ, the direct flight to HKG eliminates a connection in YVR that the poster also referenced, thus narrowing the overall travel time and making it a valid comparison.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:37 am

Stating price differences in absolute terms, $ for example, makes a more pronounced impact than talking about a percentage price difference, especially with air-tickets.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
This is disappointing, you've generally been more civil than this when we've met IRL.

Enough fistfights on this board for one day, you can finish this one by yourself.
You've met FT's version of Skip Bayless?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime

It's called being tough sitting behind a computer. In person it's difficult for him to talk with AC's **** in his mouth.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
If the ADQ is about profitability then the half requirement for non residents does not make sense.

Cow for example would seem to spend less and yet would seem to use "benefits" such as concierge etc than others spending more.

I understand what some are saying about why it may seem fair to give non residents a break but it does not align with the profitability angle.

As for enticing US fliers away from others I would say that AC changes has done the opposite. More and more seem to have given up on AC metal or using AC.com when flying into the US and instead just focus on US carriers.

In the past would have tried to choose AC metal or use AC.com even if slightly higher price, but instead now there is no incentive ever.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by stinger
It's called being tough sitting behind a computer. In person it's difficult for him to talk with AC's **** in his mouth.
This isn't any better. Knock it off.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
....As for enticing US fliers away from others I would say that AC changes has done the opposite. More and more seem to have given up on AC metal or using AC.com when flying into the US and instead just focus on US carriers. ....
IMHO, these are 2 separate things

As was posted on this forum, AC execs said in interviews that they were looking to "lure" (pick your favourite word) U.S. customers to fly via YYZ and YVR to international destinations. Other posters also gave examples of how much lower the cost is for those originating in the U.S. west coast to fly via YVR to Japan, compared to those originating in Canada and the XE rate is not the issue. Similar examples for pax from the east (eg. RDU etc) to connect via YYZ to Europe.

Your second sentence about people giving up on AC stuff might apply to Canadians booking from here, where have similar choices.

There are great examples on the Premium Fares thread where DL YYZ-TYO is $1,000 less than AC for the exact same dates and yes, many of us are perfectly fine with a connection.

There is also that similarly excellent deal YYZ-PVG for significantly less.

Anyway, as for the thread topics of whether others are like OP and feel better about not making SE status for next year, it is really all about what works for each individual - and of course the important variable in the equation: OPM
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:46 pm

Typical AP FT thread.
Frequent flyer doesn't like the new floor AC (and many other airlines) have instituted to ensure their Super Elites are Super customers. Now, we can argue all day long about the validity/intelligence behind AC's new strategy, But intelligent posters cannot treat YOW-PHL-ORD-PEK as a similar experience to YOW-YYZ-PEK. They are entirely different products, so a comparison of price is silly. Similarly, An intelligent person would not compare the cost of a limo to the airport to a shuttle bus that stops as hotels along the way.

Man, it's that ill-informed sarcasm that makes FT so attractive.
Please enlighten me where I'm ill-informed.
Frankly, if one wants a better experience flying to China they should simply fly on CX - an experience that smokes all North American carriers, definitely including AC.
OP is driven by price, not convenience/travel experience
No HVC on this planet would take the OP's selected routing over AC's. If AC has enough customers who value their time/convenience/travel experience enough to justify the yield premium, Why in the world would they sell their offering anywhere near a double-connect through the USA?
Originally Posted by stinger
Oh hey, Edmonton is in the house. How are things at YEG?? Saw a few job postings YEGIAA looking for airline incentive cheque writers ... Sounds like a secure, life-long job. I'd like to apply, Mind if I use you as a reference?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.