Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How much would you value SE 100K Status for 4 months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I am at about 80K miles and while I think I will make the 100K AQM by the end of the year, don't think I'll be making the necessary $20K AQD to qualify for 2017 program.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth finding mileage runs and spending up to $2K in order to reach the additional 20K miles required before October 15 and qualify as early recognition so that I'll be 100K SE for a little over 4 months.

While there's a side of me that definitely feels like it's throwing $2K down the drain, I'm looking to see if anyone sees the value of having this. A few benefits I can think of:

1) I do fly for business quite a lot but with strict travelling policies, so being able to potentially use up eupgrade credits for international flights without paying add-ons would be helpful

2) I've been planning on using up some aeroplan points for a vacation in 2017 at an international destination (Australia), and if I book before the end of February, I can benefit from: no YQ surcharge for Air Canada Flights and additional priority seats available without doubling the points required

3) My business trips from October to February are likely to be further international destinations (Europe, South Africa, and Australia are on the radar), and having the additional 25% (100% vs 75%) top up of bonus aeroplan miles can be directly translated to monetary value

4) In Air Canada's thinking, they want passengers to spend $20K in order to be considered a SE, so considering I'd only be spending $2K or $6K annualized, I've reached their status at a "steal"...

5) And the dumbest reason ever: To say I was a super elite lol...It's been a status I've been close to attaining for 3 years over my relative short years of flying, but I still have never reached it. It would be nice to finally put that to rest.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by circky
I am at about 80K miles and while I think I will make the 100K AQM by the end of the year, don't think I'll be making the necessary $20K AQD to qualify for 2017 program.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth finding mileage runs and spending up to $2K in order to reach the additional 20K miles required before October 15 and qualify as early recognition so that I'll be 100K SE for a little over 4 months.

While there's a side of me that definitely feels like it's throwing $2K down the drain, I'm looking to see if anyone sees the value of having this. A few benefits I can think of:

1) I do fly for business quite a lot but with strict travelling policies, so being able to potentially use up eupgrade credits for international flights without paying add-ons would be helpful

2) I've been planning on using up some aeroplan points for a vacation in 2017 at an international destination (Australia), and if I book before the end of February, I can benefit from: no YQ surcharge for Air Canada Flights and additional priority seats available without doubling the points required

3) My business trips from October to February are likely to be further international destinations (Europe, South Africa, and Australia are on the radar), and having the additional 25% (100% vs 75%) top up of bonus aeroplan miles can be directly translated to monetary value

4) In Air Canada's thinking, they want passengers to spend $20K in order to be considered a SE, so considering I'd only be spending $2K or $6K annualized, I've reached their status at a "steal"...

5) And the dumbest reason ever: To say I was a super elite lol...It's been a status I've been close to attaining for 3 years over my relative short years of flying, but I still have never reached it. It would be nice to finally put that to rest.

Thoughts?
Don't do it! As a newbie SE, you'll become one of the...http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-attitude.html
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marlin240
Don't do it! As a newbie SE, you'll become one of the...http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-attitude.html
I JUST read that thread before posting too!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I JUST read that thread before posting too!
The answer to your OP might be: What is more important, your ego (in terms of accomplishing something you have always wanted to) or your money.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
The difference between E75 and SE, while notable, is not worth the extra money for four months, unless you're trying to book a major trip on points during that period and are concerned about YQ/IKK. IMHO.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
disregard this post
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Thoughts?
The Australia trip will come close to paying for the $2k spend. How far are you from AQD requirement of $20K
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
IMHO, this alone will probably be worth it for you---save points, save YQ, get preferred seating. As SE, i was able to book 4 x J rewards to/from Australia using Priority Rewards.

Then you have added benefit of 100% bonus, eupgrade priority etc for those few months.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
And if you get it, perhaps you could do a status match for the year after?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:23 pm

...I'll be 100K SE for a little over 4 months.
You will be SE for 16 months, not 4 months.
This will allow you to use IKK until the end of Feb. 2018 for travel into early Feb. 2019.
One of the options for SE is to gift someone 50K status.
You could do this once in October and a second time in February.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by tracon
This will allow you to use IKK until the end of Feb. 2018 for travel into early Feb. 2019.
Not if he does not make the 20K AQD and he mentioned he probably won't make it.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, sounds like you've had a rational think about the costs and benefits already, so kudos. From what you've said, it looks like you might be able to get pretty good ROI on the $2K you would spend on this (your reasons #1-3, although for #3 keep in mind it only applies to AC and UA metal flights - maybe CM too? - so if you're flying someone like LH, NZ or SA there's no incremental value to SE), so I'd be inclined to do it.

As for #5, there's some value in that, but I have no idea how to quantify that.

OP won't be hitting the AQD threshold though, so would be getting early recognition for SE in 2016 but not receiving SE status for the 2017 benefit year.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
No, he won't be after Feb 2017 unless he passes 20K AQD.

Early qualification is based on last year's requirements, 2017 qualification is based
on new requirements.

I do agree that if you can use the priority rewards and YQ waiver during these 4 months
it is probably worthwhile.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Member

He's not going to make aqd so will NOT have status next year.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
If you are looking to make some aeroplan redemptions before Feb 28, 2016, for travel up to ~360 days after, then it is potentially worth it:

- IKK access for more seats (especially in business)
- All priority redemptions at "classic" aeroplan rate.
- No surcharges

When I was about to lose SE one year, I spent all my aeroplan points on TPAC/TATL business class redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.