Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC FT Rants: What is the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC FT Rants: What is the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:03 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
@j2simpso - Points for being punny too!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Academic
If you're* going to do these tutorials on a regular basis, then can you add a commentary on why North Americans use "different than", Brits use "different to" and people who actually know about grammar use "different from".
You have me trying very hard to think of what I say.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Academic
If you're* going to do these tutorials on a regular basis, then can you add a commentary on why North Americans use "different than", Brits use "different to" and people who actually know about grammar use "different from".
Based on my observation on FT and elsewhere, I thought it’s “different then”

Rant over
Twickenham and 24left like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Altitude gauges are wicked broken, thinking I need 25k AQM, 23 AQS and $20k AQD to get SE again.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Sopwith
After thinking about this for two days I have decided to make a change to today's lesson. There are too many people who seem to get confused over the use of "to", "too" and "two". Oh, and if you're* from Quebec or New Brunswick you can throw "tu" into the mix.

So, here we go:

I'm* going to start with the shortest: "to" is a short but very complicated word. It is used for many purposes, which you can find by going to dictionary.com. But don't* get it too confused with "too", which is a longer but less complicated word. "Too" can mean "also" or it can describe an abundance or excessive amount of something, such as "there is too much pedantry in this post". Suffice it to say that if it isn't* "too", as in "too much" or "me too", and it isn't* a number, it is probably "to". But now I've* ended a sentence in a preposition, which will be the subject of another day's lesson. (Note the possessive use of the apostrophe.)

As for "two", I expect it's* self explanatory, but I stand to be corrected if it isn't* too clear.

And at a later date I'll* explain the use of "your", "yore" and "you're". Then it will be about "its" and "it's", one of which actually contravenes the rule I've cited above about the use of the apostrophe. One day soon I'll provide a lesson on the proper use of quotation marks.

* These are all contractions, by the way, in which the missing letter(s) are denoted by the apostrophe.

[Sorry, but I've had a much too long day and I need to unwind. ]
Sopwith, while you're on your rant (which is music to my ears), would you address the topic of 'and' in place of 'to', as in, "I'll try and explain grammar to you." as opposed to, "I'll try to explain grammar to you."? 19 times out of 20 'and' is used incorrectly in similar instances. Like nails on a chalkboard...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Stiff
Sopwith, while you're on your rant (which is music to my ears), would you address the topic of 'and' in place of 'to', as in, "I'll try and explain grammar to you." as opposed to, "I'll try to explain grammar to you."? 19 times out of 20 'and' is used incorrectly in similar instances. Like nails on a chalkboard...
Part of the problem we're facing is that many of the people teaching grammar these days weren't taught properly themselves. We're into the second generation of not teaching our kids proper grammar.

Then texting came along and all the rules of spelling and grammar went out the window.

I recall one of my son's Grade 9 teachers briefing the parents on an out of town field trip, who insisted on pronouncing "breakfasts" as "breakfasses".
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
My recent YYZ-YYC was upguaged to a 77W but we arrived 15 minutes ahead of schedule. The early arrival deprived me of precious time to luxuriate in my nondeflated J seat!

Last edited by marke190; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:42 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
It really grinds my gears...

...when the gate agent calls zones 1 & 2 together.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by acse17
Oh GOD I hate this. Such a petty, privileged little thing to be upset over but it just burns a little every-time it happens.

And with that, my wife has told me that I need to unsubscribe from this thread. She doesn't like me hanging around with such "Fancy" people, apparently you're all a "bad influence". :-D
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bennyg2
Oh GOD I hate this. Such a petty, privileged little thing to be upset over but it just burns a little every-time it happens.

And with that, my wife has told me that I need to unsubscribe from this thread. She doesn't like me hanging around with such "Fancy" people, apparently you're all a "bad influence". :-D
So true! My wife busts my balls for all the little petty things I complain about when it comes to airline and hotel status 'grievances'. She's also mad that I won't eat sushi unless I'm on the west coast.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
So true! My wife busts my balls for all the little petty things I complain about when it comes to airline and hotel status 'grievances'. She's also mad that I won't eat sushi unless I'm on the west coast.
Even if you are in Japan?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Stiff
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Part of the problem we're facing is that many of the people teaching grammar these days weren't taught properly themselves. We're into the second generation of not teaching our kids proper grammar.

Then texting came along and all the rules of spelling and grammar went out the window.

I recall one of my son's Grade 9 teachers briefing the parents on an out of town field trip, who insisted on pronouncing "breakfasts" as "breakfasses".
Let me try and tell you's guys that your a welcome source of refreshment around here. I really hate crappy grammar and spelling.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Even if you are in Japan?
I'm a plebe - never been.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I'm a plebe - never been.
Make sure you're on the west coast of Japan, and then you're all good
skybluesea and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Angry

Why advertise a policy if you can't get the basics right. Call them separately. I don't care if there are no zone 1s, or if it is a small station, or if you are busy, or if the flight is late. Call them separate and if there are zone 1s, give them a fair chance to fight through the lice to board before zone 2s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.