Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RZR
To me, It’s obvious that they are getting many people Super Elite line who are not entitled to be in that line. This is why the agents are asking for the Card, or whatever else. They just want to make sure that only Super Elites are being served in that line , plain and simple. I really don’t get why people take offense to being asked a question

I keep my card out. It solves all problems.
If System wide every SE did this , I’m curious to see the result……. Perhaps atleast the result would be no more Frustrated SE’s , atleast those who take offense to questions
I feel like I end up saying this every page in this thread, but no one is offended by "Are you Super Elite?"

We're offended by "The economy line is over there" and "Are you using your dad's Aeroplan number?"

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Get a lanyard for it and hang it around your neck. It will go well with your t-shirt.
You say that in jest, but it would probably solve half my issues

Though I'm already wearing a bag tag that looks pretty much identical to the card, and it only helps in rare situations.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Get a lanyard for it and hang it around your neck. It will go well with your t-shirt.
Hat. Hairband, like surgeons in cartoons, right in the middle of the forehead. Keeps other non-suitcase-holding hand free to hold the NEXUS card, which we also have to have out.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond, Fairmont Premier, Amex Platinum, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Asking for a card is fine. Requiring one, when the info is already attached to the PNR (or the pax is able to provide the AE#), is problematic. There is no published policy saying you are only entitled to elite benefits with the physical card, so it's unreasonable to demand one when there are easy ways of determining whether you have the status using their computer system.
What if, when asked for AE#, the pax quotes an SE aeroplan number that is not theirs ?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by InstantElite
What if, when asked for AE#, the pax quotes an SE aeroplan number that is not theirs ?
For status to show up, the name also has to match.

I am quite fine with them requiring the information be on the PNR for you to be entitled to any benefits.

However, they need to fix the Aeroplan issue for this to work.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Fly in the ointment is still that the passenger is clogging up a point of service while the agent looks for (invalid) number on the PNR.
The use of the card enables those people to be redirected before reaching the point of service, and to be honest, I prefer that.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Fly in the ointment is still that the passenger is clogging up a point of service while the agent looks for (invalid) number on the PNR.
The use of the card enables those people to be redirected before reaching the point of service, and to be honest, I prefer that.
Sure, but then adjust the signs, or send out an email, or something.

Because "clogging up a point of service" while I pull out my SE card (it's used so rarely that I actually threw down my Chiptopia card before realizing my mistake) is no better.

My NEXUS card is easily accessible when I fly, and I have no issue keeping my SE card with it while I'm traveling, but I need to know to do this before I get to the front of the line.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:00 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I feel like I end up saying this every page in this thread, but no one is offended by "Are you Super Elite?"

We're offended by "The economy line is over there" and "Are you using your dad's Aeroplan number?"

You say that in jest, but it would probably solve half my issues

Though I'm already wearing a bag tag that looks pretty much identical to the card, and it only helps in rare situations.
It’s not only the SE that are offended on the SE lines. It’s also the people in the Priority lines. I witnessed this recently in MCO when the dude infornto of me got really offended when the agent asked him if he was travelling business class.

My stance still remains that no real issues exist , people just need to answer questions and not get offended.

Anyhow, I always have my card handy with my passport folio in case I need it.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
What if they made a turnstile to get into the priority and SE check in lines, and required you to swipe your card or scan the QR code from your app to get past the turnstile?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
While waiting in the YUL transborder priority check-in line this morning, a couple pax strolled into the SE line. The agent closest to that lane took a second while serving another pax to ask if they were SEs. When they responded with a confused look, he pointed them to the correct check-in line.

How hard was that?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ffsim
While waiting in the YUL transborder priority check-in line this morning, a couple pax strolled into the SE line. The agent closest to that lane took a second while serving another pax to ask if they were SEs. When they responded with a confused look, he pointed them to the correct check-in line.

How hard was that?
Right.

So, to bring this thread back ....there is a difference between being asked for your card, being asked if you are SE if you wander into the SE line

AND

Pointing and saying: "The regular is over there" BEFORE asking to see your card or other.

or

Saying "Well, just because you have SE tags on your bag doesn't mean anything. Many people use tags of family members". The Air Canada employee at the gate in YUL automatically assumed I was a cheater. (Perhaps she should take some enhanced customer service training on how to ask the right question.)

None of this explains why I am not asked if I "belong" when I fly AC out of some international destinations, nor why I am never asked when in line with other carriers.

Period.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by 24left
Right.

So, to bring this thread back ....there is a difference between being asked for your card, being asked if you are SE if you wander into the SE line

AND

Pointing and saying: "The regular is over there" BEFORE asking to see your card or other.

or

Saying "Well, just because you have SE tags on your bag doesn't mean anything. Many people use tags of family members". The Air Canada employee at the gate in YUL automatically assumed I was a cheater. (Perhaps she should take some enhanced customer service training on how to ask the right question.)

None of this explains why I am not asked if I "belong" when I fly AC out of some international destinations, nor why I am never asked when in line with other carriers.

Period.
Or, if you were using your father/mother's card.....
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
This is why the tags are pointless. When I see them, I always glance at the crotch of the pax to check it all out.

Every time I see this thread title pop up, I find it humourous.

"How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?"

Answer: They can't. They can only tell what the computer tells them. The rest is posturing.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
This is why the tags are pointless. When I see them, I always glance at the crotch of the pax to check it all out.

Every time I see this thread title pop up, I find it humourous.

"How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?"

Answer: They can't. They can only tell what the computer tells them. The rest is posturing.

Thanks for this contribution. (I'm being sarcastic and the emoji isn't doing it for me)

Perhaps, then, you can memo Air Canada and tell them we don't need Altitude bag tags or even cards.

Just train the employees to do the crotch test.

Solved.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Thanks for this contribution. (I'm being sarcastic and the emoji isn't doing it for me)

Perhaps, then, you can memo Air Canada and tell them we don't need Altitude bag tags or even cards.

Just train the employees to do the crotch test.

Solved.
Well, I'm not convinced there is a solution. This is all a social issue, a cultural issue. AC has a lot of baggage still, and I'm not convinced I'd want to tackle that mess. It's not about "training employees", it's more about fixing the culture from top-down. "I don't believe the computer or the card or the tag. This is your daddy's status." can't be fixed when your CSR doesn't respect the job, or the leadership. I totally smell an "us/them" divide at AC.

Being part of the 1% is one thing. Helping the 99% feel like they're not being stepped on is probably key to being respected as "deserving" the 1%. (btw, I'm not commenting on any specific person, but Trudeau Sr. vs Jr. is a reasonable example) I've had a 10+ year senior inhouse lawyer talk disparagingly about working for Air Canada, and this dude is NOT underpaid.

So yes, I generally check out the threads on people; Brioni? Alexander McQueen? Duchamp? Turnbull and Asser? Levis? And I assure you, so do the CSRs. This is a fault of all people, and I don't think I'm merely projecting.

As my hair has grown longer, the louder the question "Are you SUPER ELITE" is yelled...

But you're right, whether a guy dresses left or right doesn't matter so much... and this only applies to guys I suppose.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
As my hair has grown longer, the louder the question "Are you SUPER ELITE" is yelled...
You shouldn't be anywhere that question would need to be asked at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.