Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yyznomad
Wiki Link
Current eUpgrade Promotion for eUpgrade Requests Made Until June 30, 2020

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html

Upgrades to Business Class

US

Europe/Middle East/South America

Asia/Australia
Upgrades to Premium Economy

US (This is the only promotion for Premium Economy at this time)

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 16, 9:32 am
formerly yvrgary

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
Whats with all the eupg promos that ran till 05 Sept and now this reincarnation? So in reality there has/will be a eupg promo for 12 months. Not that I am complaining as I use it. I thought AC was trying to get more paid J and reduce eupg ? Has the number of higher status pax declined or are they taking some of their business elsewhere ?
As discussed above, there are multiple theories.

My favourite is that they're simply trying to monetize eUps, period, but as an anecdotal thing, I've been seeing most of my flights this year go out 99-100% full, but J3 or J5 and oversold in Y.

Certainly preferable to get a Y pax to pay you $200 for the same seat you were otherwise going to end up op-upping for free.
Old Sep 8, 16, 10:16 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
As discussed above, there are multiple theories.

My favourite is that they're simply trying to monetize eUps, period, but as an anecdotal thing, I've been seeing most of my flights this year go out 99-100% full, but J3 or J5 and oversold in Y.

Certainly preferable to get a Y pax to pay you $200 for the same seat you were otherwise going to end up op-upping for free.
OK so when I hit SE in a month or so, I should check EF, spiff myself up and drape myself over the GA desk mooching for a OPup ?
And here I am buying up to high flex for my transborder and transcon flights.
Old Sep 8, 16, 10:18 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
OK so when I hit SE in a month or so, I should check EF, spiff myself up and drape myself over the GA desk mooching for a OPup ?
And here I am buying up to high flex for my transborder and transcon flights.
No. Because when I hit SE this weekend, I will have beaten you to it.
Old Sep 8, 16, 10:20 am
Original Member

Whats with all the eupg promos that ran till 05 Sept and now this reincarnation? So in reality there has/will be a eupg promo for 12 months. Not that I am complaining as I use it. I thought AC was trying to get more paid J and reduce eupg ? Has the number of higher status pax declined or are they taking some of their business elsewhere ?
J cabins are not cheapened enough.
Old Sep 8, 16, 10:46 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
J cabins are not cheapened enough.
I was trying in my most diplomatic way of not reopening that cheapening discussion. Now you have gone and done it.
Old Sep 8, 16, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Geoflying View Post
Not for any particular date - just the preview page at https://services.aircanada.com/eupgw...ice/eupgrade/#

Surely not a coincidence that AC uses higher # miles to determine which bucket of eUps a route falls in than that which they use to credit AP miles though.
AC uses one set of data for mileage (upgrades and AQD) while Aeroplan uses another.

I'm not saying it's good or reasonable, but it seems a pretty logical split. Different companies, different data.

Well after the "massive devaluation" of ... 2015? 2014? (whenever it was), they've had promotions running to bring things back to a middle ground. Now they've made the promotion permanent, and are experimenting with Tango upgrades.
Old Sep 9, 16, 2:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Upgrading from Tango

Now...I've looked at some bookings I have coming up, there's some VERY interesting results.

YVR-YYZ-CMH...they wanted a whack of eUPs AND $600 from my tango fare, as a super elite.

Crappy deal right? Checked in...the upgrade offer was $689 anyway. So if I WERE going to do that...the $89 would've been worth it to save the credits probably.

HOWEVER...

YVR-MEX coming up...12 eUPs...and $0, the window to upgrade is only 7 days, but still. I'm only bummed about 2 things, A) I've got 21 eUPs left, so I can only upgrade in 1 direction, B) it appears that the first leg is already sold out in J on Sep 22, so I'll have to try and upgrade the return, which is super early AM and I have to go to work right after so I can't really drink.

I know lots of you guys don't buy tango fares, but that's basically all I buy for leisure, so this is an interesting offer at least. I think it's insane for the CMH trip so there's no way I'd ever do it, but maybe an interesting test case for AC to keep doing this in the future?

Last edited by drvannostren; Sep 9, 16 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 10, 16, 9:19 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Ambassador
You think this is a good deal? I thought it was pretty ridiculous to see my YYZ>GVA flight next week on an A330 was $600 PLUS 21 credits to upgrade tango to J...figured I'd wait till the day before when they offer me an upgrade for...likely ~$600 and no credits.
Old Sep 26, 16, 3:21 pm

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
I just booked a flight to IST, I checked the eUp availability, it says it is available for immediate upgrade. Bought the Latitude Fare and am now trying to eup with no luck. Checked the flight again, it still shows all segments available for eup. Called Air Canada and they tell me its not available and the problem is with the website not them.

I may just cancel and confirm "J" with TK for about the same price.

Anybody run into this?
Old Sep 26, 16, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by AftOf245 View Post
I just booked a flight to IST, I checked the eUp availability, it says it is available for immediate upgrade. Bought the Latitude Fare and am now trying to eup with no luck. Checked the flight again, it still shows all segments available for eup. Called Air Canada and they tell me its not available and the problem is with the website not them.

I may just cancel and confirm "J" with TK for about the same price.

Anybody run into this?
Yes, quite often the eUpgrade system is broke. upgrading from Lat requires P. Some agents consistently think it needs R
Old Sep 26, 16, 5:08 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
LOL those co-pay amounts, dear lord. Might as well just buy confirmed business class or wait for the eventual upgrade sale at check-in.
Old Sep 26, 16, 5:17 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
LOL those co-pay amounts, dear lord. Might as well just buy confirmed business class or wait for the eventual upgrade sale at check-in.
Well in all fairness, you have to consider AQD

And also on TPAC routes, may well worth it if you are certain miles already but not SE. But I think they should have lowered co-pay for flex instead... pretty stupid to only have $100 difference between the two.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 26, 16 at 5:22 pm
Old Sep 26, 16, 8:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
Yes, quite often the eUpgrade system is broke. upgrading from Lat requires P. Some agents consistently think it needs R
Had the same issue last year and posted about it. Booked latitude and wrote in with screen shot. Upgrade done by customer service.
Old Sep 26, 16, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I wonder if anyone here would even admit they caved in and actually paid the eUps and copay for their Tango fare upgrade to R.
Old Sep 27, 16, 6:25 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I wonder if anyone here would even admit they caved in and actually paid the eUps and copay for their Tango fare upgrade to R.
I'm thinking about it. I have an upcoming flight from the US, through YYZ to the Caribbean booked in Tango.

The YYZ-Caribbean portion is not yet open for upgrade, as it falls in the old 7-day prior rule with no co-pay.

The US-YYZ flight is open for upgrade (less than 14 days out) for 4 credits and $50 co-pay.

I'm waiting to see if the system will do the usual math for the two flights (i.e. 4+12=12) or treat them as two independent upgrades (i.e. 4+12=16) before I decide whether the omelet is worth $50.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: