FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1789272-new-eupgrade-requirements-co-pay-lower-flex-fares.html)

YOWgary Sep 8, 16 9:32 am

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 27183002)
Whats with all the eupg promos that ran till 05 Sept and now this reincarnation? So in reality there has/will be a eupg promo for 12 months. Not that I am complaining as I use it. I thought AC was trying to get more paid J and reduce eupg ? Has the number of higher status pax declined or are they taking some of their business elsewhere ?

As discussed above, there are multiple theories.

My favourite is that they're simply trying to monetize eUps, period, but as an anecdotal thing, I've been seeing most of my flights this year go out 99-100% full, but J3 or J5 and oversold in Y.

Certainly preferable to get a Y pax to pay you $200 for the same seat you were otherwise going to end up op-upping for free.

vernonc Sep 8, 16 10:16 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 27183137)
As discussed above, there are multiple theories.

My favourite is that they're simply trying to monetize eUps, period, but as an anecdotal thing, I've been seeing most of my flights this year go out 99-100% full, but J3 or J5 and oversold in Y.

Certainly preferable to get a Y pax to pay you $200 for the same seat you were otherwise going to end up op-upping for free.

OK so when I hit SE in a month or so, I should check EF, spiff myself up and drape myself over the GA desk mooching for a OPup ?:D
And here I am buying up to high flex for my transborder and transcon flights.

Diabeetus Sep 8, 16 10:18 am

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 27183357)
OK so when I hit SE in a month or so, I should check EF, spiff myself up and drape myself over the GA desk mooching for a OPup ?:D
And here I am buying up to high flex for my transborder and transcon flights.

No. Because when I hit SE this weekend, I will have beaten you to it. :cool:

KenHamer Sep 8, 16 10:20 am

Whats with all the eupg promos that ran till 05 Sept and now this reincarnation? So in reality there has/will be a eupg promo for 12 months. Not that I am complaining as I use it. I thought AC was trying to get more paid J and reduce eupg ? Has the number of higher status pax declined or are they taking some of their business elsewhere ?

J cabins are not cheapened enough.

vernonc Sep 8, 16 10:46 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 27183381)
J cabins are not cheapened enough.

I was trying in my most diplomatic way of not reopening that cheapening discussion. Now you have gone and done it.

canadiancow Sep 8, 16 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying (Post 27181783)
Not for any particular date - just the preview page at https://services.aircanada.com/eupgw...ice/eupgrade/#

Surely not a coincidence that AC uses higher # miles to determine which bucket of eUps a route falls in than that which they use to credit AP miles though.

AC uses one set of data for mileage (upgrades and AQD) while Aeroplan uses another.

I'm not saying it's good or reasonable, but it seems a pretty logical split. Different companies, different data.

Well after the "massive devaluation" of ... 2015? 2014? (whenever it was), they've had promotions running to bring things back to a middle ground. Now they've made the promotion permanent, and are experimenting with Tango upgrades.

drvannostren Sep 9, 16 2:00 am

Upgrading from Tango

Now...I've looked at some bookings I have coming up, there's some VERY interesting results.

YVR-YYZ-CMH...they wanted a whack of eUPs AND $600 from my tango fare, as a super elite.

Crappy deal right? Checked in...the upgrade offer was $689 anyway. So if I WERE going to do that...the $89 would've been worth it to save the credits probably.

HOWEVER...

YVR-MEX coming up...12 eUPs...and $0, the window to upgrade is only 7 days, but still. I'm only bummed about 2 things, A) I've got 21 eUPs left, so I can only upgrade in 1 direction, B) it appears that the first leg is already sold out in J on Sep 22, so I'll have to try and upgrade the return, which is super early AM and I have to go to work right after so I can't really drink.

I know lots of you guys don't buy tango fares, but that's basically all I buy for leisure, so this is an interesting offer at least. I think it's insane for the CMH trip so there's no way I'd ever do it, but maybe an interesting test case for AC to keep doing this in the future?

CanadaOne Sep 10, 16 9:19 am

You think this is a good deal? I thought it was pretty ridiculous to see my YYZ>GVA flight next week on an A330 was $600 PLUS 21 credits to upgrade tango to J...figured I'd wait till the day before when they offer me an upgrade for...likely ~$600 and no credits.

AftOf245 Sep 26, 16 3:21 pm

I just booked a flight to IST, I checked the eUp availability, it says it is available for immediate upgrade. Bought the Latitude Fare and am now trying to eup with no luck. Checked the flight again, it still shows all segments available for eup. Called Air Canada and they tell me its not available and the problem is with the website not them.

I may just cancel and confirm "J" with TK for about the same price.

Anybody run into this?

yyz_atc_qq Sep 26, 16 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by AftOf245 (Post 27266831)
I just booked a flight to IST, I checked the eUp availability, it says it is available for immediate upgrade. Bought the Latitude Fare and am now trying to eup with no luck. Checked the flight again, it still shows all segments available for eup. Called Air Canada and they tell me its not available and the problem is with the website not them.

I may just cancel and confirm "J" with TK for about the same price.

Anybody run into this?

Yes, quite often the eUpgrade system is broke. upgrading from Lat requires P. Some agents consistently think it needs R

keitherson Sep 26, 16 5:08 pm

LOL those co-pay amounts, dear lord. Might as well just buy confirmed business class or wait for the eventual upgrade sale at check-in.

Jumper Jack Sep 26, 16 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 27267239)
LOL those co-pay amounts, dear lord. Might as well just buy confirmed business class or wait for the eventual upgrade sale at check-in.

Well in all fairness, you have to consider AQD

And also on TPAC routes, may well worth it if you are certain miles already but not SE. But I think they should have lowered co-pay for flex instead... pretty stupid to only have $100 difference between the two.

Bartolo Sep 26, 16 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq (Post 27267005)
Yes, quite often the eUpgrade system is broke. upgrading from Lat requires P. Some agents consistently think it needs R

Had the same issue last year and posted about it. Booked latitude and wrote in with screen shot. Upgrade done by customer service.

yyznomad Sep 26, 16 11:10 pm

I wonder if anyone here would even admit they caved in and actually paid the eUps and copay for their Tango fare upgrade to R.

Lights_a_blur Sep 27, 16 6:25 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 27268631)
I wonder if anyone here would even admit they caved in and actually paid the eUps and copay for their Tango fare upgrade to R.

I'm thinking about it. I have an upcoming flight from the US, through YYZ to the Caribbean booked in Tango.

The YYZ-Caribbean portion is not yet open for upgrade, as it falls in the old 7-day prior rule with no co-pay.

The US-YYZ flight is open for upgrade (less than 14 days out) for 4 credits and $50 co-pay.

I'm waiting to see if the system will do the usual math for the two flights (i.e. 4+12=12) or treat them as two independent upgrades (i.e. 4+12=16) before I decide whether the omelet is worth $50.