FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1789272-new-eupgrade-requirements-co-pay-lower-flex-fares.html)

canadiancow Sep 7, 16 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27177370)
Maybe I'm just dense, but take a look at the chart for Canada - Asia/Australia, for instance:

Under "Aeroplan (Fixed Mileage - X booking class) it says "26 (credits) + add-on starting at $850".

Doesn't this imply that the add-on pricing for booking class X within this particular market (Canada - Asia/Australia) is variable?

North America is a better example.

SFO-YVR is significantly less than SFO-YYZ.

It's possible that they could make different parts of Asia require different co-pays, if they haven't already.

macleod199 Sep 7, 16 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 27178366)
Sure, if you control the overall purchase decision.

Lots of us do most of our flying on tickets purchased by clients and/or employers, which most often means lowest-Y.

Paying out of pocket to up-fare to Flex, just for a chance at maybe playing Aerolotto, is a pretty long bet; at least this way, an employee trying to eUp from an employer-purchased Tango fare knows s/he won't pay the fee unless the upgrade clears.

This speaks more to my experience. I have two employers, both of whom do tango, except sometimes for rarer longer trips.

I got a little bit excited when I saw the email from AC on this, as I've been pretty much always unable to use my eUpgrades since starting to be credited them a few years ago. There were rare cases where my tickets were booked late/on busy flights so I was in an upgradeable class, but mostly they just expired.

I quickly become unexcited when I remembered that YHZ-YYZ has gone to all Q400s, all the time, with no J, so upgrades are pretty much academic for me at this point. I understand like AC is buying more and more Q400s, so potentially coming to a short haul route near you. This change has made E35K not that exciting, especially because the WiFi in YHZ MLL is almost always unusable, and their food/beverage service can be erratic. If I'm going to be stuck on Q400s for 80% of my flights it sort of makes no odds if I'm on Porter or WestJet Regional or whatever. So maybe AC is trying to dangle something in front of people like me to get us interested again.

That said, I'm currently living between in Northern Italy for 3 months, and may have one transatlantic during that time, so who knows. Maybe I can upgrade the wife and I on at least part of the trip home (mix of LH/AC), or maybe if I'm feeling fancy going YHZ-YYZ at Christmas time. There's an outside chance I may even make 50K this year, so at least I'll get worldwide lounge access and priority baggage for my 1-2 international trips a year.

YOWgary Sep 7, 16 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by macleod199 (Post 27179075)
I quickly become unexcited when I remembered that YHZ-YYZ has gone to all Q400s, all the time, with no J, so upgrades are pretty much academic for me at this point.

Am I missing something? For YYZ-YHZ I'm seeing 320,E90,320,E90,763,320,319...

yyznomad Sep 7, 16 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 27179099)

No, you're not missing anything.

YHZ_Flyer Sep 7, 16 3:47 pm

Maybe he's confusing it for YHZ-YOW, which for the summer months went all Q400s. YHZ-YOW is going back to the CRA shortly. ACs service into YHZ has actually been expanded with the 321s flying in more often, and more 320s than E90s now.

KenHamer Sep 7, 16 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 27176393)
Maybe this is all designed to sell more PY seats?

Or a distraction from this year's announcement of 2017 "benefits" and qualifying requirements.

whatchamackallit03 Sep 7, 16 5:32 pm

+! You're not missing anything.
I just did YHZ - YUL - YYZ on A320/A321.

It's quite a busy route.. more than Q400 capacity for sure.

gcashin Sep 7, 16 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer (Post 27179703)
Maybe he's confusing it for YHZ-YOW, which for the summer months went all Q400s. YHZ-YOW is going back to the CRA shortly. ACs service into YHZ has actually been expanded with the 321s flying in more often, and more 320s than E90s now.

Could also be confusing it with YYT-YHZ which used to have planes with J cabins but is now mainly Q400's.

capebretonboy Sep 7, 16 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 27178053)
Speaking of lower tiered elites, I think WestJet does it better.

A WS FF can use an upgrade certificate on the lowest fare to all destinations except Hawaii/LGW. They need to do the upgrade at the gate, once the flight is closed. If there is space in Plus, then they get the upgrade.

No copays. No fare class shenanigans.

I am a WS Gold and that upgrade process is a pain in the a**. You have to leave the lounge and go down to the gate ages before boarding begins in the hopes that you will score an upgrade. I prefer the ability with AC to request in advance and that there is a waitlist (although not publicly disclosed)

Diabeetus Sep 7, 16 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 27180574)
I am a WS Gold and that upgrade process is a pain in the a**. You have to leave the lounge and go down to the gate ages before boarding begins in the hopes that you will score an upgrade. I prefer the ability with AC to request in advance and that there is a waitlist (although not publicly disclosed)

I was referring to the equivalent of upgrading from cheapest WestJet fare without copay. But the free for all can be annoying if there are a lot of West jet gold members on the plane (usually there aren't).

macleod199 Sep 8, 16 2:05 am

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer (Post 27179703)

Sorry, yep, I meant YHZ-YOW. Still acclimatizing to new time zone/job.

Good to hear the jets are coming back! My knees will be happy come winter time.

Geoflying Sep 8, 16 2:42 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 27177668)
When is this booking for?

As for miles, we all know and it has been spoken ad nauseum here that published miles are a few to a couple dozen miles off what is credited. LHR no exception!

Not for any particular date - just the preview page at https://services.aircanada.com/eupgw...ice/eupgrade/#

Surely not a coincidence that AC uses higher # miles to determine which bucket of eUps a route falls in than that which they use to credit AP miles though.

Wpgjetse Sep 8, 16 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 27178053)
Speaking of lower tiered elites, I think WestJet does it better.

A WS FF can use an upgrade certificate on the lowest fare to all destinations except Hawaii/LGW. They need to do the upgrade at the gate, once the flight is closed. If there is space in Plus, then they get the upgrade.

No copays. No fare class shenanigans.

.???? WS upgrade is basically a prefered Y seat on AC. Completely a different product and no hot food.

TOR27 Sep 8, 16 7:12 am

I paid the add-on yesterday to upgrade YYZ-YWG from Tango, cost me $100 + my last 6 credits. Considering my employer flies me in Tango I don't have an issue paying $100 myself for a 2.5hr flight up front, definitely beats what the LMU would be on this route but I can see how given the choice upfront at purchase I might choose Flex instead since the price difference between them is far less than $100 (from my sample selection).

vernonc Sep 8, 16 8:57 am

Whats with all the eupg promos that ran till 05 Sept and now this reincarnation? So in reality there has/will be a eupg promo for 12 months. Not that I am complaining as I use it. I thought AC was trying to get more paid J and reduce eupg ? Has the number of higher status pax declined or are they taking some of their business elsewhere ?