FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1789272-new-eupgrade-requirements-co-pay-lower-flex-fares.html)

capebretonboy Sep 7, 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 27174262)
Is there a link announcing this promo ? Or is this the new normal ?

Sent by email to me this morning! I am very happy to be upgrading my Tango itinerary YOW-YYC tomorrow! Lots of R space right now.

capebretonboy Sep 7, 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 27174263)
Maybe AC will finally decrease flex/tango fare differences a little as a result of it... and more inline with the co-pay difference. ($100-150 difference is easier for me to swallow for some extra AQM)

Hear hear! I hope so too!!

Jasper2009 Sep 7, 2016 7:01 am

Has anyone found an explanatin for the "add-on starting at $850" (for TPAC routes) / "add-on starting at $600" (TATL routes) yet?

Do add-on prices vary by country/destination or does the wording suggest dynamic pricing?

capebretonboy Sep 7, 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27177253)
Has anyone found an explanatin for the "add-on starting at $850" (for TPAC routes) / "add-on starting at $600" (TATL routes) yet?

Do add-on prices vary by country/destination or does the wording suggest dynamic pricing?

It appears to be by continent of travel (not respective of country?):

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...ade_offer.html

capebretonboy Sep 7, 2016 7:09 am

Anyone know the nature of the changes to fewer eupgrade credits on travel within Canada? I can't seem to see a difference as Flex is still 10 credits for flights of 1500 miles or more.

Jasper2009 Sep 7, 2016 7:14 am

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 27177281)
It appears to be by continent of travel (not respective of country?):

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...ade_offer.html

Yeah, that's the way it has always been (e.g. higher co-pay for Asia than Europe).

But now for each region it says "starting at..." which seems to suggest add-ons for upgrades from X and Tango fares are variable and/or dynamic within one region.

Jasper2009 Sep 7, 2016 7:17 am

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 27177288)
Anyone know the nature of the changes to fewer eupgrade credits on travel within Canada? I can't seem to see a difference as Flex is still 10 credits for flights of 1500 miles or more.

The official number of credits required to upgrade from most Flex fares is 15. However, AC has been running a "promo" for most of the year offering upgrades for the same number of credits which used to be the standard number up until ~a year ago.

capebretonboy Sep 7, 2016 7:17 am

Two questions:

1. If I buy a preferred seat and get upgraded, do I get a refund of the seat fee?

2. If I am flying YOW-YYZ-YYC cheapest Tango do I pay $50 + $200 = $250 or is it just $200 (like what they do with the credits by reducing it to total itinerary mileage?) Thanks!

capebretonboy Sep 7, 2016 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27177309)
Yeah, that's the way it has always been (e.g. higher co-pay for Asia than Europe).

But now for each region it says "starting at..." which seems to suggest add-ons for upgrades from X and Tango fares are variable and/or dynamic within one region.

More details can be found in the eupgrade account site. It is more nuanced by fare class. I think that answers your question. Thank you for your reply to my earlier question about the reduced eupgrade credits.

Jasper2009 Sep 7, 2016 7:27 am

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 27177328)
More details can be found in the eupgrade account site. It is more nuanced by fare class. I think that answers your question.

Maybe I'm just dense, but take a look at the chart for Canada - Asia/Australia, for instance:

Under "Aeroplan (Fixed Mileage - X booking class) it says "26 (credits) + add-on starting at $850".

Doesn't this imply that the add-on pricing for booking class X within this particular market (Canada - Asia/Australia) is variable?

capebretonboy Sep 7, 2016 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27177370)
Maybe I'm just dense, but take a look at the chart for Canada - Asia/Australia, for instance:

Under "Aeroplan (Fixed Mileage - X booking class) it says "26 (credits) + add-on starting at $850".

Doesn't this imply that the add-on pricing for booking class X within this particular market (Canada - Asia/Australia) is variable?

Perhaps. Although in the eupgrade account chart it simply says $850. I take that as the only price you pay and it does not vary.

BlondeBomber Sep 7, 2016 7:59 am

AC still (as noted previously in this thread before the official announcement) needs to update its eupgrade page within your account where it still says:

"An eUpgrade Add-on will not apply to:
upgrade requests made by Altitude Super Elite 100K members
upgrade requests to Premium Economy or Premium rouge
Altitude members travelling on a Latitude or Premium Economy (flexible) fare
travel within Canada, or between Canada and the United States or Sun destinations."

Obviously Tango fares "special" is an exception . . .

acysb87 Sep 7, 2016 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 27177155)
Like many above, I am unimpressed by the copay for SE. Even the copay amounts themselves seem high to me for domestic routes.

I'd rather just buy the P fare too:
Confirmed J seat
More AQM
Saves Eups for other routes (I.e. TPAC from PY)

Disclaimer: I early qualify for S100k soon.

Here we go, a position that reflects my sentiments^

Too much voodoo stuff going on. Who is going to administer all this "stuff" and then understand it as well at the gate or at check in???

gregster Sep 7, 2016 8:22 am

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 27177322)
Two questions:
1. If I buy a preferred seat and get upgraded, do I get a refund of the seat fee?

Yes, though you may have to email in as it doesn't seem automatic, or at least not automatic in a timely manner.

yyznomad Sep 7, 2016 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Geoflying (Post 27177081)
So here - points to note:

SE copay (mentioned before in this thread)

No expanded booking window

No upgrade to PE from Tango or Aeroplan

No upgrade from Aeroplan Market Fare (why not?)

It says here that LHR-YYZ is 3556 miles yet AP gives you only 3546 miles - where did the other 10 miles go?

When is this booking for?

As for miles, we all know and it has been spoken ad nauseum here that published miles are a few to a couple dozen miles off what is credited. LHR no exception!